PDA

View Full Version : cranberry juice vs cranberry cocktail question

Joyce
11-04-2006, 03:10 PM
I want to make some recipes (such as Warm spinach apple cranberry salad) that call for various amounts of cranberry juice. I hate to buy a large bottle, since it will not be used, but the individual servings only come as "Cranberry cocktail". Is there a big difference which one you use?? I notice that even the cranberry juice seems to be mixed with 2 to 5 other juices in the fine print.

PattiA
11-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Joyce, have you looked at juice boxes? I can get Apple & Eve brand Cranberry Juice in juice boxes. It's perfect for when you just need a small amount and this brand isn't loaded with nasty stuff. I use juice boxes for small amounts of unsweetened apple juice and cranberry juice.

If all you can find is Cranberry Juice Cocktail, I don't think the recipe will suffer.

memartha
11-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I think you should take PattiA's suggestion and buy the juice boxes. IMO, there's a big difference between Cranberry Juice and Cranberry cocktail, which is loaded with high fructose corn syrup and who knows what else. The juice boxes are 100% juice, even if they are a mixture of juices. Just my .02.

Clover
11-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I was looking at the November issue last night and wondered about this very thing. In fact, I was thinking of emailing CL about it. Several recipes in the cranberry "In Season" article call for cranberry juice and I wondered if that is what they really meant. Cranberry juice cocktail is so much more widely available that I thought that they should have a note specifying that they do mean the straight juice, if they do. On the other hand, if they mean the cocktail, they should say so. Cranberry juice and cranberry juice cocktail are very different and not, IMO, interchangeable at all.
ETA since I was posting at the same time as memartha. If the cranberry juice is mixed with other juices, it will be WAY sweeter than straight cranberry juice. That's why I don't think they are interchangeable.

Joyce
11-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks so much. I looked at the small six pack bottles, but never thought of the boxes. That's why this board is so great to have around!!!

memartha
11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't think there IS such a thing as pure cranberry juice. I could be wrong. I'm in cranberry nation here in MA, and this is from the Ocean Spray website:

"It doesn't get more "straight from the bog" than this. 100% Cranberry Juice. Made from the ripest cranberries and blended with other fruit juices with no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors. We don't even add sugar, that's how pure this stuff is. It's naturally refreshing and full of real fruit flavor. It's so delicious it won the American Culinary ChefsBest™ Best Taste Award. And, of course, it's loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C."

The product they are calling "100% Cranberry Juice'" is made from cranberries and other fruit juices.

It would be interesting to know exactly what CL used in their recipes.

Clover
11-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't think there IS such a thing as pure cranberry juice. I could be wrong. I'm in cranberry nation here in MA, and this is from the Ocean Spray website:

"It doesn't get more "straight from the bog" than this. 100% Cranberry Juice. Made from the ripest cranberries and blended with other fruit juices with no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors. We don't even add sugar, that's how pure this stuff is. It's naturally refreshing and full of real fruit flavor. It's so delicious it won the American Culinary ChefsBest™ Best Taste Award. And, of course, it's loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C."

The product they are calling "100% Cranberry Juice'" is made from cranberries and other fruit juices.

It would be interesting to know exactly what CL used in their recipes.
The 100% cranberry juice available to me is from R. W. Knudsen (www.knudsenjuices.com/products/detail.aspx?groupID=7&categoryID=53&flavorID=143&productID=521). It contains "filtered water (sufficient to reconstitute), cranberry juice concentrate." Elsewhere on the site they describe how they make the concentrates, and it's just the fruit with water extracted, nothing added. They also have a cranberry nectar which is a juice blend. I'm pretty sure I've seen other brands of plain juice also from organic juice companies, but R.W.Knudsen is the one my local store has. I must say, I am shocked :eek: by Ocean Spray's product description. It's OK to say it's 100% juice, which is true, but to say it's 100% cranberry juice is plainly false.

I did email CL about it. We'll see what they say. I want to know because the pure juice is not sweet, and using that versus the blend or cocktail would make a big difference in the recipe.

(edited to fix link)

jadenegro
11-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I know that Northlands make blends that are 27% cranberry juice. Any more and it would be impossible to drink. I used to be addicted to Northlands Cran-Rasp which was 27% cranberry. I think you might be able to buy pure cranberry but only in a natural foods section or maybe Whole Foods where it wouldn't be confused with juice -- It would just be too tart to drink.

ADM
11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I have a recipe which dates to the 1950s for a Hot Cranberry Punch. The recipe was 6 cups water boiled with 4 cups cranberries, until the cranberries were cooked and had popped, then strained. That is pretty pure -- no other additives, fruit juices, sweetening or coloring. Also, it is much cheaper than the bottled cranberry *juices*.

Clover
11-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I heard back from CL today. In the "In Season" feature in the November issue, when the recipe calls for "cranberry juice," what they used in the test kitchens is Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail. They agree that they should have said "cranberry juice cocktail."

Grace
11-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for passing on that info. I made the Roast Pork (the one with the cranberries, pears and blue cheese) from that article, and I too wondered what kind of cranberry juice they wanted. I was in Whole Foods who has a huge array of cranberry juices - some straight juice (no sweetener at all), some concentrated, some not, some made with other fruit juices, some with sugar, and on and on. I ended up getting an organic cranberry juice blended with other juices, but thought seriously for a bit about the "straight" stuff. I figured that had to be too obscure though for most people, and since they hadn't written a thing in the magazine about what they meant, I decided they had to have meant regular "drinkable" juice. So that's what I went with. Glad to know it was right! And the roast was excellent, btw. :)

CL is usually very good about being very specific. I was surprised they were that vague.

Joyce
11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks from me too, for obtaining the definitive word from CL. That opens up a whole new door, since it is easy to get individual servings of the cocktail to keep around and also, lower sugar cranberry cocktail.

ADM
11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Don't forget to check the juices in the frozen food section. The cranberry concentrate comes in 12 oz cans.

Angelina
11-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I must say, I am shocked :eek: by Ocean Spray's product description. It's OK to say it's 100% juice, which is true, but to say it's 100% cranberry juice is plainly false.

I did email CL about it. We'll see what they say. I want to know because the pure juice is not sweet, and using that versus the blend or cocktail would make a big difference in the recipe.

(edited to fix link)

Technically, it's not false, because the percentage of the cocktail that is cranberry juice IS 100% cranberry juice.

Angela