PDA

View Full Version : ISO: sub for pkg'd dressing mix

rosen
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
On another thread, the recipe below was posted. It looks very good & I'm always on the lookout for slow cooker pot roast type recipes that are different. The issue here is the pkg of Italian salad dressing mix... both DH & I have become very salt sensitive as we have gotten older & so I suspect that this would probably be too salty for us. What do you think would be a good combination of herbs & spices that I could throw in instead? Just up the Italian seasoning? I do realize that the Zesty Italian has a real intense tangy pop to it & that it might be hard to replicate that.

CrockPot Italian Beef

3 lb. chuck or rump roast, approx. -- trimmed of fat
1 package Good Seasons Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 (16 oz.) jar pepperoncini peppers -- including juice
1 can beef broth
ground pepper, garlic powder, etc. optional

favorite cheese
kaiser buns

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cook all day on low (or #3 in a slow cooker). (I use my slow-cooker)

When meat is done, shred it and put back in its juices.

Serve on warm kaiser buns (toast if desired). Top with favorite cheese--cheddar, colby/jack, mozzarella/cheddar, etc. Warm in the microwave if cheese needs to be melted.

Can also top with sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms if desired.

Recipe By : Linda in MO-- CLBB

Robyn1007
11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, I think I'd do the italian seasoning, maybe some garlic, pepper, and onion flakes. You might put in some salt too but adjust to you taste.

rosen
11-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Robyn: that's along the lines of what I was thinking, too.

Anyone w/ a pkg of the dressing mix handy that can list the herb/spice ingredients? I'm thinking that there is dehydrated onions, garlic, red pepper....

Robyn1007
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Here's the ingredient list (gotta love google)

Salt, Sugar, Garlic (Dried), Onions (Dried), Maltodextrin, Spice, Red Bell Peppers (Dried), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor.

PAMMELA
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Just MHO, but we didn't think this was salty at all.

rosen
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Robyn: thanks! I never think to google! Hmmmmm... 1st ingredient is salt!

Think I'll enjoy tinkering around w/ my own spices here!

sneezles
11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Robyn: thanks! I never think to google! Hmmmmm... 1st ingredient is [B]salt!

Think I'll enjoy tinkering around w/ my own spices here!

As someone else who is salt sensitive I find I have to be creative sometimes. I found this recipe ages ago on the web and have since tinkered with it to suit my tastes. I'll post the original for you:

Italian Dressing Mix
This Italian dressing mix is a combination of eight pungent herbs that you can store and use to whip up fresh Italian dressing in seconds whenever the mood strikes!
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1 tablespoon White Sugar
2 tablespoon Dried Oregano
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
1 tablespoon Dried Parsley
1/4 teaspoon Celery Powder
2 tablespoons Salt
1/4 cup Vinegar
2/3 cup Canola Oil

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, onion, sugar,
oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, celery and salt.
Store in a tightly sealed container.
2. To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 cup Vinegar, 2/3 cup
Canola Oil, 2 tablespoons, water and 2 tablespoons of the dry
mixture above.

rosen
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Sneezles: Thanks for posting this recipe! I've printed it off & will be mixing some up, soon!

I have found that in recipes calling for them, even using the lower sodium versions of canned ingredients, I need to alter or eliminate salt elsewhere in the recipe. Not everyone understands that some of us just can't handle the average tolerance for sodium. It's trial & error sometimes, but I can usually tell just by reading the ingredient list when something will be over the top for us.