PDA

View Full Version : What's cooking the night before TDay?

vbak
11-18-2006, 05:38 AM
I want to keep the meal simple because we will have kids and friends running in and out and keep it light in anticipation of the big dinner the next day. I am making 2 kinds of soup:

cheddar chicken chowder
baked potato soup
or
country beef and cabbage soup

Salad and bread

What are you making?

Vicky

veschke
11-18-2006, 05:52 AM
I am seriously considering takeout... if not that, then either soup or quesadillas -- something simple that won't bear any resemblance to the following day's menu!

cherylopal
11-18-2006, 06:04 AM
i've usually made a beef brisket- bakes itself in the oven while i clean during the day and then is ready when the company arrives.

BucknellAlum
11-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Sad to say, but our tradition is to order pizza! I am usually so exhausted that I don't even want to make grilled cheese or defrost soup. Plus, the pizza is so different from the next day's menu, that it sort of primes everyone's appetites.

Sami
11-18-2006, 11:13 AM
My company arrives on Tuesday, so I am making meatloaf , baked potatoes and some kind of veggie and salad. I have cookies and mandel bread that I made before if anyone wants dessert.

Sami

southjerseymom
11-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Vbak, could you please post the recipe for the cheddar chicken chowder? I'm having family over the night before Thanksgiving (6 adults, 6 kids) and am thinking along the same lines as you!

vbak
11-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Here ya go!
Cheddar Chicken Chowder

Tip: Buy skinned, boned chicken breasts and preshredded cheese.

2 bacon slices
Cooking spray
1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% low-fat milk
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside. Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.
Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 306(22% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 4g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 25g; CHOLESTEROL 58mg; CALCIUM 193mg; SODIUM 376mg; FIBER 2.9g; IRON 1.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.7g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1996

misskitty100
11-18-2006, 11:21 PM
We always have pizza - either delivery or we go out.

wcdelight
11-19-2006, 12:03 AM
We are having a grilled chicken ceasar salad with storebought rolls. I have already grilled the chicken and will buy pre-cut lettuce. I wanted it to be easy, light, & fast.

southjerseymom
11-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks for posting the recipe, Vbak. I'll be making that too!

memartha
11-19-2006, 06:00 AM
I'm going to grill chicken, make a very light pasta dish (vermicelli with lemon and parsley) and serve a salad. Everyone can serve themselves as little or much as they'd like, or even make a chicken-topped salad. I love the soup for dinner idea. Maybe next year.

Irene3R
11-19-2006, 08:44 AM
My husband is taking me out to dinner the night before. There is this very nice italian restaurant near here and they have a coupon for one free entree on weeknights. I do all the cooking for thanksgiving so its a nice treat for me. We went to this restaurant last year the night before and I enjoyed doing this. I'll be home early from work on Wednesday and will have time to prep some things for thursday.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

ClaraB
11-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I work till midnight the night before, but DH and kids will be having Western sandwiches (and maybe fries).

chazkp
11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
We are having taco night. Very easy, and very unlike our Thanksgiving dishes.

VictoriaL
11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks so much for reminding me about the cheddar chicken chowder! We loved it the times I have made it, but with so many new recipes the old favorites sometimes get lost...

I made a roasted red pepper lasagna today and will bake it for dinner on Wednesday.