PDA

View Full Version : Best Rum?

GingerPow
11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Cookieees thread re: Hot buttered Rum reminds me that I don't have any rum in the house.
I'd like to make a hot buttered rum myself after leaf-raking this weekend, and BarbaraL's recipe of hot milk, rum and spices sounds like a good one to try.

What is a good brand to buy? I have rum & cokes in the summertime when we go out, but I have no clue which is a good brand.

Cookieee mentioned Myers, which I have heard of. Also Captain Morgans, Bacardi, and Malibu. What would be a nice, rich flavored rum of a good quality. Does price tell you which is the best one?

I don't have a well stocked liquor cabinet - Frangelico, Tuaca, Christian Bros. brandy, Sambuca. (Lots of wine though! :D ) so if I'm going to buy a bottle of something I'd like to make sure it's a good one!

TIA for your suggestions!

Middydd
11-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Appleton Estate from Jamaica is very good. For Rum and Eggnog and Dark and Stormies in the winter I like Goslings.

GingerPow
11-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Appleton Estate from Jamaica is very good. For Rum and Eggnog and Dark and Stormies in the winter I like Goslings.
Thanks Middydd! I just bought two containers of Southern Comfort Eggnog, which to DS and I is the best (no one else in the family likes eggnog). I sometimes add brandy to mine , but rum also sounds good.
What is a Dark and Stormy? Mind posting that recipe? Thanks!

jimjimmerjim
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I can't stand the stuff myself, but SO drinks Bacardi Select. It is a dark rum and smells great. It smells like molasses.

GingerPow
11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I can't stand the stuff myself, but SO drinks Bacardi Select. It is a dark rum and smells great. It smells like molasses. Oh wow - that sounds gooood!

Gilgamesh37
11-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Your dark rums---Myers, Barcardi Select (which is my dad's "house" rum, he being the rum drinker in our family)---will be noticeably molassesy. Captain Morgan's is a spiced rum, so very different than a straight rum---which is great in things like eggnog or hot buttered rum, but a disaster if you're doing, say, mojitos. I'd stay away from Malibu, which is coconut flavored. The Barcardi select is probably a good all purpose for wintertime.

funnybone
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Appleton Estate from Jamaica is very good.

I'm not a drinker, but we have that rum at home too.

Middydd
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks Middydd! I just bought two containers of Southern Comfort Eggnog, which to DS and I is the best (no one else in the family likes eggnog). I sometimes add brandy to mine , but rum also sounds good.
What is a Dark and Stormy? Mind posting that recipe? Thanks!

Dark and Stormy is just ginger beer, rum, ice and a twist of lime.

It's a fabulous drink if you're coming down with a cold or getting over one, the ginger beer clears the passages, so to speak.

Leslie Ferguson
11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm a big time fan of Myers Dark (already on the list but I'll second the nomination). Really YUMMY! Just the thing when sitting next to a loved one in front of a roaring fire on a cold winter's night.

Prost!
Les

GingerPow
11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Dark and Stormy is just ginger beer, rum, ice and a twist of lime. Boy does that sound good! I love ginger beer - zing!

I'm a big time fan of Myers Dark (already on the list but I'll second the nomination). Really YUMMY! Just the thing when sitting next to a loved one in front of a roaring fire on a cold winter's night.
Prost! Les
Which is one of the best things to do in life... I think I'll have to get small bottles of these great suggestions and do a 'rum tasting!' Anyone care to join me? :D

Gumbeaux
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Another vote for Myer's dark. ;)

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/rum/details/myers_rum_gr.jpg

cookieee
11-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Prost!
Les

That is so strange you should mention that. Some years ago, DH took me on a winter vacation to look for snow (hadn't seen any since I was 8 years old). One night we stayed at this hotel that had a lounge with a nice big fireplace and that is where I had my first Hot Buttered Rum. The bartender gave me the recipe because I liked it so much. He was the one that told me to use Myers Dark.

KimKelly
11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Another vote for Myer's dark. ;)

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/rum/details/myers_rum_gr.jpg

My favorite too!!!
K

GingerPow
11-21-2006, 04:30 PM
There is a definite consensus here: Myers Rum it is.

Although that molassey Bacardi Select sounds good too... I'll get both! :p

jimjimmerjim
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I think I'll pick up a Meyers's for SO to try out. As I said, I don't like rum, but the Bacardi smells so good to me.

Veronica
11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Here's another recipe for a dark & stormy. This one's from the White Horse Tavern in Bermuda. The first drink I had after setting foot on Bermuda was a dark & stormy. It brings back such great memories.

Dark and Stormy
Courtesy of the White Horse Tavern, St. George's, Bermuda

Ice
1/4 lime
2 ounces dark rum (recommended: Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Black Rum)
10 ounces ginger beer (recommended: Milligan's Island Tropical Mango Ginger Beer)
Lime wedge, for garnish, optional

Fill a 12-ounce glass with ice. Squeeze the lime wedge over the ice in the glass. Drop the wedge into the glass. Pour the rum into the glass. Add the ginger beer. Stir lightly and garnish with another lime wedge, if desired.

MNGirlTX
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm also a fan of rum - in my house I currently have a bottle of Barcardi (this particular bottle is the white rum), 2 bottles of Tortuga (from Grand Cayman), a bottle from Belize and a bottle of Cruzan.

I will definitely have to try the Dark and Stormy...as soon as I can find ginger beer.

Lori

sharhamm
11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
That is so strange you should mention that. Some years ago, DH took me on a winter vacation to look for snow (hadn't seen any since I was 8 years old). One night we stayed at this hotel that had a lounge with a nice big fireplace and that is where I had my first Hot Buttered Rum. The bartender gave me the recipe because I liked it so much. He was the one that told me to use Myers Dark.

can you post the recipe?

cookieee
11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
can you post the recipe?

Hi, he never gave me any amounts, just what went in it and that I posted on my thread "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's finally cold enough". Should be around somewhere ;)

LakeMartinGal
11-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm also a fan of rum - in my house I currently have a bottle of Barcardi (this particular bottle is the white rum), 2 bottles of Tortuga (from Grand Cayman), a bottle from Belize and a bottle of Cruzan.

I will definitely have to try the Dark and Stormy...as soon as I can find ginger beer.

LoriTorguga Rum is the best I've ever had! But Myer's is a strong second -- I'm not a rummy person, though, and I've not tried any of the others...

heavy hedonist
11-22-2006, 09:57 AM
There is a definite consensus here: Myers Rum it is.

Although that molassey Bacardi Select sounds good too... I'll get both! :p
it's also the Best for soaking raisins in for baking, or my favorite, rum raisin ice cream. And I'm not a rum drinker, either.

Here's a luscious recipe to help you use up any leftovers--

RUM RAISIN FRITTERS from The Wooden Spoon Bread Book

In a small container combine:
1 C raisins
1/4 C Dark Meyer's rum

Allow to satnd for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Sift together and set aside:
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar

Drain the raisins, reserving any remaining rum. In a mixing bowl, beat together:
1 egg
1/4 C milk
1 Tbsp reserved rum
1 Tbsp oil

Gently stir into egg mixture first the sifted dry ingredients, then the drained raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into oil heated to 370 degrees F. Fry until both on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Roll in sugar. Makes 24 fritters.

cookieee
11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Ginger, do you have room on your sofa for Mari also?