PDA

View Full Version : Potential job dilemma

Kate B
11-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice please. I'm currently unemployed... went on an interview for a sales position I knew I wasn't interested in, just to get out of the house and for the experience. Well, as luck would have it, I was offered the position (selling wholesale health insurance over the phone). I have been in the computer industry for years and years, never done sales, don't want to. All personality profiles have me in education (I've been a software trainer) or writing (I have technical writing experience and that's what I want to do). So, if I took the position, I would still be looking, which is kind of unethical in my own mind. If I don't take it, I could be unemployed for another four months... money is definitely a factor, although I couldn't live on the base salary for long (although it's better than no income :) ). I'm not quite desperate yet, though. Anyone have any experience in taking something they really don't want to do, or should I just follow my gut (don't accept it) and think positively about tech writing or training positions?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

PS: Should add that only 2 of the 8 people currently there are meeting their quotas... product is priced higher than competitors, which has me concerned, too.

Taeler
11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Kate, I've been in this situation before. Generally employers hire people and give it 2 or 3 months to see how that person fits. They wouldn't have a problem firing you after 3 months, so I don't think I'd have a problem quitting if I found something I enjoy more. It is possible that you might find that you are very good at seling this product and end up making more in bonuses, etc., and choose to keep the job. Who knows till you try?
If you are not comfortable with that, could you try taking temp. work? At least then you could tell the Temp agency you are only looking for a 3-4 month commitment.

blazedog
11-26-2006, 04:12 PM
This is probably a merry go round of hires because no one lasts. That they hired you - -someone with no experience, no interest and no aptitude speaks volumes about how desperate they are to get seats in the chair.

The problem with taking jobs like that is that they eat away at your energy and esteem and prevent you from focusing on getting a job you might enjoy.

I am with the other poster in advising that taking temp jobs is probably a better move if you need money -- I would think it would be less emotionally debilitating than to do cold calls all day for a difficult to sell product.