PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP from Organization Queens and Kings

cchhbb
12-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I am in the process of renovating my kitchen. I will have all new custom cabinetry in the new kitchen. One of the things that I added was a whole lot of drawers. Please tell me your favorite organizational tips for drawers.

I am also looking for products to place in the drawers to divide them, ect. Please let me know what sites you love for things like this.

Any help you can provide is especially appreciated.

Thank you,
Cheryl

DanaSD
12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
congrats on the new kitchen. I have to large drawers that I've split between cooking (spatulas, whisks, spoons, graters) and baking (rolling pins, candy thermoters, hand mixer, silpats). Another drawer is stuff that I don't use as much (speciality tools) - this drawer has a lot more stuff in it but since I don't it that often, its ok that its not as easy to get what I need. Another drawer is foil, bags,etc. And of course, one for utensils.

Check with your cabinet manufacturer - sometimes they sell dividers for the drawers (nice wooden ones).

The best thing I've found is the plastic organizers that expand (price was also a consideration) - these are good because they will fit your drawers. The set sized ones didn't fit my drawers so there would have been wasted space. Even with these, my drawers were longer so I put the nonskid stuff underneath to stop them from sliding. I prefer the long slots instead of the smaller compartments. I bought them at Target and Linens and Things. I think you can also get nicer wood ones.

For my old kitchen I bought a set of plastic dividers that you cut and they come with pieces that you attach to the sides that the dividers slip into. They didn't work at all - the plastic was thin so it bent and the attachment pieces didn't stick to the sides very well. It was also hard to cut the pieces perfectly so that they weren't to long or too short.

I like The Container Store. I used to like Hold Everything but they closed down a few months ago. Also, try Lowes. They have lots of great organization stuff and their prices are good. Online sites try stacks and stacks.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/product12_0.htm

jphilg
12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a drawer-based kitchen, too. We were pretty tapped out when we finished the renovation, so I stuck with Target organizers. I use wire mesh baskets to organize my utensils (I have two sizes, one is 6 x 14ish, the other 4 x 8ish) and it has been working fine for me. Also, since the basket walls are thin, they don't take away too much space from the drawer; I looked at some wooden ones, but I was worried about loosing too much space to the organizer walls themselves.

Also, I used cork shelf liner to line most of the drawers and minimize shifting around when I pull things in or out. I went a month or so without it, and found all the shifting really annoying.

Finally, I organized my pots and pans in the drawers by shape, not "set". When even helpful people dry and put away dishes, they always want to stack the AllClad with the All Clad, and the Calphalon with the Calphalon, but I find a much better fit with stacking all the straight-sided pans together, the round-bottom pans together, etc.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

testkitchen45
12-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Do you have the room or the desire for a ceiling-mounted pot hanger? If you have nice cookware and a tall enough ceiling, a hanger can be an attractive display plus open up lots of drawer/cabinet space for something else.

I also like The Container Store; I have their double-decker white-plastic drawer organizer in my kitchen desk. But Lowe's has lots of knockoff items that are just as nice as ContSto' and much cheaper.

cchhbb
12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you all for your ideas.

Unfortunately, I have a tall husband and a not so tall ceiling so a pot rack doesn't work for me. I do have 2 drawers under the range for cookware.

Jen, Where did you buy your cork liner? Can i just pick that up anywhere? The Target mesh baskets might work for me too. With the expense of the kitchen and Christmas coming up, saving money would be a good thing.

DanaSD, Since I have custom cabinets I can't go to the manufacturer for inserts. DH actually made the cabinet boxes himself and I had all the doors and drawer custom made. I managed to save a lot of money, but it did take a very long time to complete the cabinets.

How do you all store your lids for your pots and pans?

Thanks,
Cheryl

jphilg
12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
I found cork liner at Target in the rack with all of the other shelf liners. I just love the stuff! I also use little swaths of it in my glass front cabinets to hold platters on their sides in the back with other things stacked in front.

cangoss
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Do you live near an Ikea store? They have lots of reasonably priced storage units. I use their lid rack for my pot lids - it gets screwed into the side of the cabinet and cost less than $5. My Griddler plates fit in it too.