PDA

View Full Version : Great Book on "The Change" for Over 35's

ewatkins
05-16-2001, 10:39 PM
I just finished a very interesting book called "The Change Before the Change--Everything you need to know to Stay Healthy in the Decade Before Menopause", by Laura Corio, MD. also advertised as the "essential book for women over 35". Basically it covers all the changes of peri-menopause that can begin in your 40's. It's written by an ob-gyn who is interested in herbs and alternatives but it's a very mainstream book. Lots on calcium, flaxseed, soy -- all the things CL covers. Helpful discussion on hormone replacement too. I found it very good.

kwormann
05-17-2001, 05:47 AM
EEEKKKK!! OMG, I never thought about starting to think about THAT this early (not quite 35 yet, [30] but I feel it inching forward! Thanks for the tip!

[This message has been edited by kwormann (edited 05-17-2001).]

Gina O
05-17-2001, 08:35 AM
LOL kwormann, I had the exact same reaction when I saw this tread!!!! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif As I will be 35 very, very, very soon, and really making an effort to not feel old, I was a little dismayed when I read ewatkins' information. Not that I am not interested or concerned, just not quite ready. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif Gina

sal
05-17-2001, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I just turned 37 and have noticed some changes over the last year (insomnia, mood changes, etc). Compared notes with my older sister, she has similar symptoms, so I think I will be taking a look at this book to see what might be up. On a somewhat humorous note, when I was a child, my father blamed all my mother's bad moods on "the change", probably from about age 36 on. sally

Laura
05-17-2001, 09:34 AM
Ugh....I am not sure this is what I needed to hear! I remember when I turned 36 I got something in the mail for women and their sex lives now that they were hitting middle age! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/eek.gif! Anyway, it is probably a good book to check out. Thanks for the recommendation. I am still clinging to 38, but honestly, even though I have been slacking of late, I am in much better shape then when I was in my 20's. Then I was just skinny, now I am healthy. I will take healthy anyday! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif

Sara Emily
05-18-2001, 12:26 AM
I really appreciate the book suggestion! I have been reading "great guns" on this subject ever since my late 30's, when everything began to go haywire in my body and emotional processes periodically. I KNEW it was too early to even start blaming it on peri-menopause, so didn't think too much about it when my dr. wanted me to get blood tests. As it turns out, my hormone levels were doing MAJOR roller coaster maneuvers, and we had some time and the information to try out several different avenues of help to see what worked best.

I've never been one to have significant PMS or menstrual problems and, as I have maintained a very healthy lifestyle, I felt certain that when the change DID happen for me, it would be a snap! Au contraire!!!!!

I say all of this to encourage our members in their thirties to start getting armed NOW with the best information possible! Then, as things begin to happen, IF they begin to happen, you won't panic or be easily led down a path that is not right for you! If you have no such difficulties, you'll just be well educated on the subject and able to help your friends!

lindrusso
05-18-2001, 08:53 AM
I'm about to join the 35 and over club this year - I turn 35 in July. 30 didn't bother me one bit, but sometimes I see 35 has a downhill roll toward 40. But as I age, my perceptions about certain ages have changed drastically. I see such vital, vibrant women on TV (Oprah, etc.), and I'm starting to realize that the best may be yet to come.

This is another reason that I'm trying so hard to get the healthy diet and exercising thing down now. It may not help avoid all menopause problems, but it should help. My metabolism quit on me a LONG time ago, so I figure I sort of have a head start on everyone else in dealing with that whole dilemma. I just hope it doesn't slow down too much more or I'll be in big trouble!!!!

My goal is to hit 40 in better shape/health then when I hit 30.

cdm
05-19-2001, 01:44 PM
Thank you so much for heads up on this book! I am a young 45 (EEK). Im watching half.com's website and see if I can get a cheaper copy cause Im a cheapskate!! I got a real cheap copy, it cost me 10.80 plus 2.30 S&H. Not from half, but off of amazonz auction. They only had one at half and it cost 17.46

[This message has been edited by cdm (edited 05-20-2001).]

ewatkins
05-19-2001, 04:39 PM
I got mine from the library but then I had to take notes instead of just underlining --I'm a cheapskate too!

kima
05-19-2001, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I found this book in our library and so far find it very interesting. I am 43 and so far have not noticed any real changes except I do have PMS syptoms that I never had before (headaches and tender breasts). For those of you approaching 40 it is really no biggie. I feel the same as I did at 35-just now I have grey hair.
Anyway this book will be a valuable resource I'm sure. Thanks again for sharing! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif