PDA

View Full Version : What's in your turkey carcass soup?

greysangel
12-02-2006, 09:39 AM
ok so I took the carcass out of the freezer..there are plenty of meaty bits so I want to turn this into a soup as opposed to just stock. What do you put in your turkey soup? Any good recipes?

jadenegro
12-02-2006, 10:18 AM
The only time I used a recipe I made this one by Ming Tsai. It was a while ago and all I remember is that we liked it. I didn't make the fritters, just the soup part.

Turkey Herb Soup with Corn Stuffing Fritters
Copyright, 2000, Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved
Show: East Meets West With Ming Tsai
Episode: Thanksgiving Leftovers
Canola oil, for shallow frying
1 large minced onion
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
1 tablespoon fresh minced sage
2 tablespoons fresh minced flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
1 quart turkey stock (mire poix, thyme, garlic, Turkey carcass and wings, cold water, black peppercorns, bay leaf: simmered for at least 3 hours), strained
1 cup shredded white meat
1 cup shredded dark meat

2 cups leftover stuffing
1 cup blanched corn
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a small stock pot coated lightly with oil, saute the onions and ginger until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season. Add thyme, sage, parsley, cilantro and stock. Bring to a simmer and reduce by only 10 percent. Add the meat and check for seasoning. Keep very hot in a soup tureen.

For the fritters, mix the stuffing (If large pieces, chop up a bit.), corn, eggs and cheese. Heat a cast iron pan or other heavy bottomed pan with 1-inch of oil to about 350 degrees. Gently drop a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into the oil. When brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, flip over. Drain on paper towels and season with a little salt.

PLATING Place fritters in individual warm soup plates. At the table, ladle the broth in the bowl. Enjoy.

BEVERAGE Whatever leftover wines one has from Thanksgiving, like gamay or chardonnay.

ccooney
12-02-2006, 07:02 PM
JeAnne,
At this moment, my turkey carcass is simmering on the stove in the Splendid Table "Mom's Turkey Broth" recipe. I got it from the ISO Excellent Turkey Soup Recipes thread started by Breadmama. I'd post a link for you here, but I still haven't figured out how to make that work. Sorry. There are a bunch of soup recipes posted there.

I still haven't decided what soup to make with it once the broth is done. Maybe I'll try the Ming Tsai one posted here!

tea4one
12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Here is the thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=98077&highlight=Excellent+Turkey+Soup+Recipes) that ccooney is talking about.

tea4one
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
This recipe came in the Splendid Table email this week. I made the broth yesterday and plan to use some of it for Wedding Soup. It is absolutely delicious. I was leary of the addition of white wine, but it really brightens the flavor of the broth more than anything else. I also thought it was interesting that it called for the addition of bits of stuffing to simmer with the other ingredients. It completely disintegrated of course, but I thought it was unusual.
Mom's Easy Turkey Broth with White Wine
Copyright 2000 by Lynne Rossetto Kasper

Makes 3 to 4 quarts; freezes for 6 months

At our house, we call this "skeleton soup." It wouldn't be Thanksgiving weekend without the aromas of this broth filling all the corners of the kitchen. My mother says she started making it back in the Depression. "We couldn't afford to waste anything. Besides, the soup is delicious." You could freeze the broth to use later in homemade soups. But it's so good on it's own we usually finish it all up by midweek.

Turkey broth is the easiest thing to do: Take a big, tall pot. Add turkey bones, bits of stuffing, skin and seasonings. Add some chopped vegetables, garlic, tomato and wine. Simmer, then strain and defat the broth. Finally, season it to taste and it's ready to spoon up. If you use organic vegetables, don't peel them, just rinse and chop.

The Wine Trick: The wine is optional, but it's a good trick to remember. Alcohol releases the widest range of flavors, ones that aren't soluble in water or fats. Although most of the alcohol cooks off, the tastes it opens up make for a fine broth. Do avoid cooking wines. They taste terrible. Instead, use an inexpensive, but drinkable Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or other dry white wine.

The Organic Trick: Use organic ingredients for even better flavor, and probably healthier eating.

The bones, meat bits, skin and about 1/2 cup stuffing from a whole turkey, or a couple of chickens, or other meats
2 to 4 canned tomatoes
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
2 large stalks of celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
12 big cloves of garlic, unpeeled and crushed
2 cups dry white wine (optional)
Start the broth about 7 to 14 hours before you want to serve it. Put all the ingredients in a 8- to 12-quart tall stock pot. Add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a gentle simmer, partially cover, and simmer 7 to 12 hours. The longer it cooks, the richer the taste. Keep the solid ingredients covered with liquid.

Strain the broth. Cool. Remove the fat by chilling and then lifting it off. If you don't have time, skim any fat from the broth by running a triple thickness of paper towels over its surface. Discard the toweling and taste the broth for seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, bring to a simmer and ladle into mugs or deep bowls. Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers. Season while serving.

This is from that thread.

cindy47031
12-03-2006, 06:41 AM
I don't have a recipe since I totally made it up as I went along, but the last time I had a turkey carcass (it's been several years) I made a fabulous creamy mushroom & wild rice soup.

I used several kinds of exotic shroomies & a white & wild rice blend. I'm sure I used onions & probably sage since that's one of my fav. herbs....

I think I'll cook a turkey just so I can try to recreate it!

Cindy

ccooney
12-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Tea4one! :)