PDA

View Full Version : Do your Sweet Potato Pancakes fall apart?

Sadiedog's mom
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Last year I made sweet potato pancakes for Christmas that were amazing and I plan on making them again this year, but was wondering if anyone else made them and had trouble with them falling apart. The sweet potatoes seem drier than regular potatoes, or less starchy, and don't stay together as well. Any suggestions on how to remedy that?

LttlMichey
12-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I've never tried making potato pancakes, but I was watching Rachael Ray make them the other day and she said you need to include a regular potato also for the starchiness. Her recipe has two sweet potatos for every regular potato. Here's a link to the recipe, I hope this helps!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35372,00.html?rsrc=search

dlaboriel
12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Sadie, I have problems with the pancakes falling apart. Could you post your recipe. thanks.

eas11
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I have always found sweet potato pancakes to be more fragile. I also make zucchini pancakes, which are also fragile. With both I add about 1 part regular potato to 3 parts sweet potato or veggie, and an extra egg white to the batter.
Sweet potato pancakes are yummy :)

Sadiedog's mom
12-20-2006, 04:46 AM
My recipe is from the December 2005 Bon Appetit. They did a Hanukkah appetizer piece that also makes a fantastic dinner (I used it for a Polish-style Christmas meal).

Mini Sweet Potato Latkes with Spiced Creme Fraiche and Pecans

Makes about 48

1 8-oz container creme fraiche
2 1/4 tsp ground cumin, divided
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, divided

2 1/4 lb red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled
1 1/2 cups diced onion
3 large eggs
6 Tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

vegetable oil for frying
purchased candied pecans

Blend creme fraiche, 1 tsp. cumin and 1/4 tsp caynee in a bowl (can be prepared 1 day ahead. cover, chill)

Line large sieve with kitchen towel. Finely grate potatoes into towel. Gather potatoes in towel and squeez out all liquid. Place dry potatoes in large bowl. Mix in onion, eggs, flour, salt, pepper and remaining 1 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp cayenne.

Pour enough oil in large nonstick skillet to coat bottom; heat over medium heat. For each latke, drop 1 generous Tbsp. batter into skillet. Press with spatula to 1 1/2 inch round. Fry until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to paper twels. Repeat with remaining batter, draining off liquid that accumulates in batter and adding oil to skillet as needed. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Cover; shill. Rewarm uncovered in 350 degree oven until crisp. About 15 minutes.)

Top each latke with dollop of creme fraiche and 1 pecan.

***I definitely made them the day before, along with my potato latkes and reheating was perfect. They were crispy and delicious. I made this recipe and one for Potato-Apple latkes that serves 60 (mini) and hardly had any left for a dinner of 12 (and trust me I had a lot of food).

I served the creme fraiche on the side.

Sadiedog's mom
12-20-2006, 04:47 AM
I thought about adding a regular potato, but thought it would dilute the amazing taste of the sweet potato. These are really good. What about cornstarch?

momqat
12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I would add an extra egg or egg white -- I know it seems like a lot of eggs, but you need something "gooey" to bind it all together.

dlaboriel
12-20-2006, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Sadiedog's mom;1144256]My recipe is from the December 2005 Bon Appetit. They did a Hanukkah appetizer piece that also makes a fantastic dinner (I used it for a Polish-style Christmas meal).

Thanks, Sadie.