PDA

View Full Version : Office Organization-What works for you?

acb11
12-27-2006, 08:54 AM
It's time. It's been time for a very long time! This week I'd like to get control of our home office. Any hits, suggestions, systems that work well for you?

We have two medium bookshelves--one full, the other not full. Two desks-one with the computer, the other virtually empty. There is also the printer stand and two filing cabinets. Although it sounds crowded it really isn't because the room is actually a good sized bedroom. I plan on digging out over the next couple of days and then painting, window dressing (fun part) and rearranging, reorganizing (not fun part!)

So, what works in your home office?

pointerhaven
12-27-2006, 09:29 AM
I started "DeCrapafying" a word used here in some other thread, earlier this year. I've done the Cook Books not used, the shoes not worn, the coats not worn, I still have to do the kitchen cabinets, but the office is looming as the worst culprit.

My daughter is a great organizer and told me that I didn't need to keep receipts from Credit cards each month, just keep one until the next bill comes in and make sure your last payment was credited and toss the old one, This will clean up the filing cabinet. I have a expanding file for bills that need to be paid, this is an alphabetical one, but she suggested a date one so that I do not miss any thing that should be paid, by placing the bill 10 days prior to the due date. Pay online if possible and note the confirmation #.

I also have a closet in my office, in fact two. I keep there a supply of paper for the printer, files, envelopes, small boxes necessary for shipping anything, tape, scissors, extra pens, software boxes and boxes for current cellphones, complete with software and manuals.

I have three calanders one for me, one for DH and one for my Rescue deadlines and such.

I try to keep my incoming active things that need attention in one folder and follow up things in another folder, this two needs to be in a dated expanda file. I also make notes to my self with alarms on my TREO phone.

I hope this helps....I sure will feel good to get that room cleaned...

I too welcome additional suggestions. Wanda

VictoriaL
12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
This may be oversimplifying, but the only way I was able to get my office organized was to take two complete days to work on it, nothing else (other than dinner) was scheduled. Beforehand, I had bought many colored accordion(sp?) files and a lot of colored single fold file folders (for the almost empty file cabinet). Also plastic wheeled bins, magazine files, and stackable letter boxes. And a labeler (yes, I could have made labels on the computer, but the label maker was quicker). Every single item that I pulled off of my desk, shelves, drawers, etc was either placed into a recyclable box or filed away in some sort of container with a label.

The hardest part-- keeping up with the filing! :D

Peweh
12-27-2006, 08:43 PM
You got great advice from PointerHaven and Vicci... I'm about to tackle DH's office next week and my plan is to tackle it "Clean Sweep" style with keep/donate/trash piles... and after the 1st pass, there will be a 2nd more scrupulous one!!

One thing I find helpful is addressing the mail as it comes in each day so it doesn't pile up. I toss all junkmail (a shredder is invaluable for all of those credit card pre-approvals and also getting rid of old paperwork), toss most solicitations (unless it's something I've already been planning to buy, I don't need to be enticed by them!!) I'm planning to invoke a bill-paying file like Pointer's daughter suggested.

Good luck!

Cookin4Love
12-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't want to imply that I have a flawless system, because I don't. :o However, there are several things that are working well. Our office is also in a bedroom. We put adjustable shelving in the closet and have stocked it with boxes in various sizes from IKEA. All boxes are labeled and grouped with similar items; I love opening the closet and looking at it. :p I also store my Christmas china, out-of-season clothing in Rubbermaid containers, and tableware that is strictly for entertaining in there. I have one spot where I just stack bills; it works for me. Once a week, I sit down and pay everything that's coming due. We have tree large (5 x 8 foot) bookcases in there, a desk and hutch, a trashcan and shredder next to the desk, and another IDEA organizer (four fabric drawers and a faux-wood top) where the scanner sits. All of our reading material EXCEPT cookbooks stays in here.

momzoo
12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
the dated file for payments is called a tickler file because it tickles your brain into checking things out. I have used one for many years all you do is make files with a monthly calendar from 1 to 31 days. whenever you get a bill you put in prior to the due date so you won't be late. if it is an appointment say the 15th of the month put it in the 13th of the month and say don't forget dd's appointment on the 15th. Look every day in your tickler file and you will never miss a payment or an appointment. It works great home or the office.