PDA

View Full Version : sweetened condensed milk question?

Cherise
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Ok, I did a search and found lots of suggestions for how to use up some leftover sweetened condensed milk, but my question is, how long is it good once you open it? I opened some about 1-2 weeks ago, and transferred it to a plastic storage container, so it's been sealed in my fridge. Do you think it's still ok to use, or should I just pitch it? TIA.

misskitty100
12-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I just went onto the Eagle brand website and it doesn't say. My first thought is that there is so much sugar in S.C.M. that it probably would be fine to use. But on second thought, a can of the stuff isn't terribly expensive so I would probably just toss what you have and pick up another one at the store.

I believe for regular milk, it must be used 7 days after opening the carton and used within the date stamped on the carton.

funniegrrl
12-29-2006, 03:21 PM
I think SCM is one of those things that's fairly indestructable. If you've kept it in the fridge and it smells/tastes OK, I'd say it's fine to use.

zackaboo
12-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I have the same little plastic jar of leftover sweetened condensed milk in my refrigerator right now too! In the past I have used it several weeks after putting it in there. After a month if I haven't come up with a good use for the stuff, I will usually just toss it to clean out the refrigerator.

EmilyK
12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I had about 3/4 of a can leftover from a recipe I made and stuck it in the freezer. <shrug> I have no idea if it will come out okay, but when I try it again I'll be sure to post back! :cool:

** I'm one of those folks that freezes balls of tomato paste too - why waste it?

Cherise
12-29-2006, 06:48 PM
But on second thought, a can of the stuff isn't terribly expensive so I would probably just toss what you have and pick up another one at the store.

I know, it's not the money just the principle of it.... I'm trying to get better about not wasting food. I checked the carnation site today, and couldn't find anything either. I think I will go ahead and try to use it up this weekend. Thanks for the responses.