PDA

View Full Version : bars?

calialli17
01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone!
I am a bust college student with no access to a kitchen (I know, it is terrible!) In the mornings I have class and have to bring breakfast with me. I am a VERY healthy eater and am looking for a protein bar or diet bar or some sort of bar that has a bit of protein, is low in sugar and calories and bad saturated fats (I know that is a lot to ask for) to go along with my daily orange soy milk and tea. I would prefer it to be natural, but I know that beggers can't be chosers. Any ideas of a good brand/bar/something?!?! Thanks!

Hammster
01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Luna Bars seem to fit what you are looking for.

cindy47031
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I like Caribou Coffee Snack Bars, but don't have any on hand so I can't tell you what icky preservatives might be in them. Check the label. I bought them once at Kroger. Another thought (do you have a fridge?) is to buy some string cheese or other cheeses that you could cut up and take in a zip lock baggie with some whole grain crackers. You can often get single serve cheeses at convenience stores if you don't have a fridge.

from http://www.cariboucoffee.com/coffeebars/index.asp
Caribou Coffee Food Nutrition Information
Caribou Coffee Snack Bars

Rich, chewy granola bars dipped in a creamy coating made with Caribou Coffee.

Serving Size (g) 35

Servings per Item 1 Bar

Calories 140

Fat Calories 35

Total Fat (g) 3.5

Saturated Fat (g) 2

Trans Fat (g) 0

Cholesterol (mg) 0

Sodium (mg) 110

Total Carbohydrates (g) 26

Fiber (g) 1

Sugars (g) 14

Protein (g) 2

Vitamin A 0% RDA

Vitamin C 0% RDA

Calcium 10% RDA

Iron 2% RDA

This item comes in two varieties: Chocolate Mocha and Vanilla Latte.

cumulus
01-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Lara bars are DELICIOUS but not always high protein.

Triathlon13
01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Nectar bar may work-but not sure about sugar content-they are SO good though. Love the choc walnut one!!!

The Lara is an all natural one that is good-I like the Banana Cookie and the Cashew Cookie. Here is their website to check out flavors. Some that I thought would be great were aweful-but that is personal of course!!!
https://www.larabar.com/secure/index_.php

Luna are ok-but I seem to always be hungry when done eating and I feel they are a bit chalky (except the peppermint one) so I just don't eat them anymore.

Good Luck-I think it might be best to vary it up a bit-find a few you like-as it gets tiring to eat the same thing all the time!

cangoss
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
For meal replacement bars, I like South Beach Diet the best - either chocolate or chocolate peanut butter - they are high in protein and fiber, which are my main concerns.

For snack bars, I like the Kashi TLC bars. My current favorite is the Crunchy Pumpkin Flaxseed. Again, it has protein, fiber, and is relatively low in sugar.

tamawrite
01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Odwalla bars! All-natural ingredients and no high-fructose corn syrup -- and they taste good, too!