Community Message Boards

Thread: Is this a chayote, and if so what do I do with it?

Is this a chayote, and if so what do I do with it?

My MIL gave me these two fruits/vegetables saying she picked them up at an open market and that they were "sweet potatoes." Now, obviously that is NOT what they are (a lot of French people are very unclear on what sweet potatoes are, even though they ARE available here), so the question is, what in fact is this? I am thinking it is a chayote, but I have never bought one of those before, so if that is what it is, what should I do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I did look at previous threads, but I guess I was hoping to get some TNT simple recipes as well as a confirmation that this IS in fact a chayote. Also, do I peel it? Seed it?

"In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Your identification is right, and I've used them (once) at DD1's insistence, but I have no TNT recipe... we used them in a vegetarian stuffing... I think it was a CL recipe.

Not much help, I'm afraid... sorry.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

It is indeed a Chayote. It will remind you of a zuccini in flavor and texture. In fact you can prepare it as you would a zuccini. I don't have a recipe per se, but what I like to do is slice it into strips and cook it in a tomato sauce and have it in the sauce over pasta. You don't have to peel it either. Just treat it as you would any "summer" squash.

That's a chayote, all right. You will want to remove the ends and the seeds (if they are big), but I don't think you have to seed them. You definitely don't have to peel.

christophene = chayote = chocho = mirliton

I've used chayote instead of zucchini in this recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini with Cheese - Calabacitas con Queso

Recipe By :Barbara Hansen
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20
    Categories : Mexican Tried and True
    Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion -- finely chopped
    1 large garlic clove -- minced
    1 small serrano pepper -- halved lengthwise, then sliced crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
    1/2 pound tomatoes -- chopped
    1 pound zucchini -- sliced
    1 ear corn -- kernels only (3/4 to 1 cup)
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chile and cumin seeds and cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, corn, oregano and salt and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, stirring as needed, 10 to 12 minutes. Top evenly with the cheese and cook until the cheese is almost melted.

4 servings.

Source:
    "LA Times 08/01/01"
    S(Web):
    "http://www.latimes.com"
    Copyright:
    "2001 Los Angeles Times"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "0:40"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 222 Calories; 16g Fat (63.3% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 708mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : If the zucchini are too big around, cut them in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I usually just saute them with a little oil and whatever seasonings I feel like that day. They have a very mild flavor.

Wasn't it Julia Child who told us that Chayote seeds are edible and should be considered "the cook's treat"?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chayote Salad

Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 medium chayote squash
    1 cup garbanzo beans -- rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon basil -- crushed
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1/4 cup ripe olives -- sliced
    6 lettuce leaves
    2 tablespoons red onion -- chopped
    2 medium tomatoes -- cut in wedges

Cook chayotes (peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" pieces), covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water, 5-6 minutes, or until tender; drain. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain well. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl; add garbanzo beans. Combine marinade ingredients In a screw-top jar, shake well. Pour over chayote mixture. Cover, marinate, refrigerated, 3-24 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserve marinade. Stir in olives. Spoon onto 6 lettuce-lined plates. Top each serving with chopped red onion and tomato wedges. Drizzle lightly with reserved marinade.

Thanks everyone! You guys are the best. I appreciate all the tips and recipe ideas! It does have some fine prickly thorn type things on it--maybe I just scrub those off?
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I've seen Emeril & Bobby Flay cook with chayotes & there are several recipes on the FN site.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

In Puerto Rico we cut them in half boil them scoop out the "meat" (take the middle hard part out. And we stuff them with picadillo. Beat a couple of eggs pour on top of picadillo and bake @ 25 ins. Also we cook chayotes and I cut them up in cubes add salt pepper olive oil put in fridge as salad