Community Message Boards

Thread: New Coffeecake/Snack Cake?

Question New Coffeecake/Snack Cake?

I am sick of cookies and bars from the holidays. Has anyone made a new coffeecake or snack cake that has been especially good?

Thanks,
    Jenny

These are my family's favorite treats

I usually skip the raisins and nuts and put chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips in instead. I still put about 1 tablespoon of apple juice in the batter though. I've also successfully substituted non fat sour cream for the buttermilk.

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=226736

Monkey Bars

From
    This moist snacking cake might remind you of banana bread.

1/2 cup raisins
    1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum or apple juice
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
    3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 large egg whites
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine the raisins and rum in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 1 minute, and set aside. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 3 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Set aside.

Combine brown sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add banana and next 3 ingredients (banana through egg whites), beating well. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in raisin mixture and walnuts.

Spread the batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool the bars completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

CALORIES 135 (31% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 2g,mono 1.1g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 2g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 27mg; SODIUM 136mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.8g

thanks emncar...i have made those before and they are good.

This is my all time favorite coffee cake.

Merk's Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 pint sour cream
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 cups all-purpose flour

For crumbs
    4 teaspoons margarine
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 cup walnut/pecan pieces

For icinq
    1 cup powdered sugar
    water

Instructions: Make crumbs first.
    Then, make the batter.
    Add ingredients in order listed.
    Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs.
    Add the rest of the wet ingredients, and then slowly add the dry ingredients.
    Mix to combine, do not over mix.
    Put 12 the batter in a greased 10 inch bundt pan.
    Add 12 crumbs and then add the rest of batter, and top with rest of crumbs
    bake 350 for 50 min till top is browned, and a fork comes out clean.
    Cool slightly and remove from pan to a cooling rack.
    Cool completely& then drizzle on icing.

Wink our favorite coffee cakes

Our favorites from CL :

Walnut Coffee Cake (except I use pecans)
    Cinnamon-Apple Cake

We also love a strawberry jam crumb cake that I thought was CL but cannot find on the website. Will be glad to post.

we like the chocolate banana snack cake:

Chocolate-Banana Snack Cake(Adapted from CL)

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup granulated sugar
    4 tablespoons butter, softened
    1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used 1 c AP flour)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350

To remove some of the excess moisture from the applesauce, place applesauce onto several layers of paper towels and cover with one or two more. Let sit about 5 minutes. Using a spatula, scrape applesauce into a small bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add applesauce and banana, beating until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coffee and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and salt. Sift cocoa powder in the bowl and whisk to combine. Stir into the creamed mixture just until combined. Scoop batter into an 8" baking pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.

Bake 25-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out mostly clean - a few moist crumbs attached is ok. Cool in pan on rack.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

thanks everyone. I have made all the cooking light recipes listed and agree that they are good...especially the cinnamon apple cake.

jenny

This is another my family likes:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...aspx?ID=128593

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Strawberry Streusel Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup butter -- (2 sticks) softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels -- (12-oz. pkg.) divided
    1 jar strawberry jam -- (10 oz.)
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon milk

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

BEAT butter and 1 cup granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in 2 cups flour. Stir in 1 cup morsels. Spread mixture in prepared pan. Spread jam evenly over mixture in pan, leaving 1/2-inch border.

COMBINE 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in medium bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in remaining morsels. Sprinkle streusel evenly over preserves.

BAKE for 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

COMBINE powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract in small bowl. Drizzle over bars; let stand until set.

S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=128593"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4898 Calories; 239g Fat (43.5% calories from fat); 48g Protein; 651g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 835mg Cholesterol; 2438mg Sodium. Exchanges: 19 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 46 1/2 Fat; 24 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I have made it with raspberry jam and the chocolate raspberry swirled chocolate chips for a change.

I made this almond torte the other day. It was very good if you like almonds, and it's simple and light - it's basically just almonds, sugar and egg whites.

that almond torte looks delicious!

jenny

I tried the holdiay bundt cake yesterday, made as is including the maple glaze, and it was a big hit,

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ht=baking+home

I have posted this one before, and it is one my mom used to make when we were kids. My own kids like it a lot, too. It is not iced, but has kind of a cinnamony edge, and it is great with a cup of tea or coffee (or a glass of milk). My kids eat it for breakfast as well as snacks.

Spiced Yogurt Pound Cake

2c. sugar
    1c. softened butter or margerine
    2-1/4 c. flour
    1c. plain yogurt
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. allspice
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Cream butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and beat at low speed until mixed, scraping bowl frequently. Increase to high speed and beat 4 minutes.

Grease a 10-inch bundt pan, then flour or line with cinnamon sugar. (I line it with the cinnamon sugar). Pour batter into pan and bake 1 hour at 325 degrees or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

Note: Best if made at least 3 hours before serving or day ahead.
    I usually sprinkle more cinnamon sugar generously over the top of the
    cake before baking it. Also, be sure to note the oven temp is 325 degrees which is a little lower than the normal cake baking temperature.

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Here are two I like. The first one is my mom's and the second I believe Val posted. Also, I posted a thread asking this same question about a year ago and got some other ideas. Some of those snack cakes I need to try! I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link. I'm not sure how to post the link so I'll just bump the old thread.

Bishop’s Bread

2 ½ cups sifted flour (ok to use 1/2 ww flour)
    ¾ cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup oil (probably okay to only use 1/2 cup)

Mix and save out ¾ cup for topping.

½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon nutmeg
    1 egg
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water

Add to flour mixture and beat well. Put in a greased 9 x 13” pan. Add topping. Can also add chopped nuts if desired. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.

Louisiana Banana Cake with Pecan Praline Topping

3/4 c dark brown sugar
    1/3 c butter -- softened
    3 bananas -- ripe
    1/4 c buttermilk
    2 tbsps rum
    1 egg
    1 1/4 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp cloves
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 c chopped pecans -- toasted
    Pecan Praline Topping
    1/4 c butter
    1/2 c dark brown sugar
    5 tbsps milk
    2 c powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 c pecan halves -- toasted and coarsely broken

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan. Cream sugar, butter, and bananas until smooth and creamy. Beat in buttermilk, rum, and egg. Blend in all remaining cake ingredients. Pour into pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. cool completely, then spread with topping.

For topping: bring butter and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Let cool 10 minutes. Beat in milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Stir in nuts.

Source: "The Great American Bake Sale" Copyright: "1991"

I really like the CL orange tea cake.

This is a banana bread, I guess, but the streusel topping and its softer texture makes it a nice snack cake - you can bake it in an 8x8 pan.

BANANA STREUSEL SNACK CAKE
    The cake freezes beautifully. Wrap securely in plastic wrap, then overwrap in aluminum foil.

INGREDIENTS

Streusel
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    6 (packed) tablespoons light brown sugar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Cake
    2 cups unsifted cake flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup ripe mashed banana (2 large or 3 medium)
    3 tablespoons whole milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg

INSTRUCTIONS
    For the streusel: Using your fingertips, mix together the flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon until lumpy; set aside.

For the cake: Adjust rack in lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch bread pan (see Note).

Sift the dry ingredients onto a sheet of wax paper. Mash the bananas in a medium bowl, then add the milk and vanilla; blend well.

Using an electric mixer, preferably with a paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, beat in the egg until completely incorporated. Add the banana mixture (it will look curdled, that's OK). With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the streusel over the top.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean (not sticky) when inserted into the center of the cake.

Place the cake in its pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then, gently tap the pan on the counter to see if the cake is releasing from the sides. Place another rack on top of the cake, invert, and carefully remove the pan. Place the other rack on the cake again and invert streusel-side up. Let cool completely before slicing.

Serves 12.

Note: The cake also may be baked in an 8 x 8 x 2-inch square baking pan for about 35 minutes.

PER SERVING: 285 calories, 3 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat (7 g saturated), 47 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.

Flo Braker of Palo Alto is the author of "The Simple Art of Perfect Baking" and "Sweet Miniatures." You can e-mail her at food@sfchronicle.com.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by emncar View Post
    http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...aspx?ID=128593

Chocolate Strawberry Streusel Bars...
    I have made it with raspberry jam and the chocolate raspberry swirled chocolate chips for a change.
    This looks fantastic - I'll make these for everyone to munch on while watching Saturday night's football game! Can't beat strawberry or raspberry, but I'll bet orange marmalade would also be good - orange and chocolate are a nice combination.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

The banana cake looks great especially since I have a lot of hickory nuts to use! Thanks again for all the responses.

Jenny