Community Message Boards

Thread: Continued numbness after wisdom teeth out

Continued numbness after wisdom teeth out

My dd had her wisdom teeth out last Fri. Half her lip and half her chin are still numb. The dentist had explained this could happen. He had a lot of trouble getting her bottom tooth out and it seems the nerve could have been bruised...or it may be from swelling. She feels slight tingling about once a day in the numb areas.

I have googled this and it seems almost always the feeling comes back but could take weeks or even months to return.

Have any of you experienced this?

My DD had her wisdom teeth out in August. All four were impacted and her lower right side was a difficult tooth extraction. She experienced continuous numbness on her lower left cheek and lip for weeks afterwards. It slowly resolved itself after a month or two and she has had no further problems. If your DD is already feeling a tingling sensation, then it sounds like the nerve is already starting to heal. I'm sure she will be just fine. It will just take alittle more time.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Yes, I think this is completely normal. I had all four (impacted) wisdom teeth out about 15 years ago and this happened to me also. It took a while, but the feeling did come back (a few months for some of it, but most of it sooner). I did have one spot on my lip that was numb for years. It didn't really bother me, but it was sort of strange. It too eventually came back.
    Hang in there. I'm sure it's disconcerting for your dd, but she'll be feeling more normal soon. It's no fun to recover from that surgery.
    TKay

I've had numbness for a while following the difficult extraction of a tooth other than a wisdom tooth. I would give it some more time; it has barely been a week for her yet.

I don't know anything about that with widom teeth being extracted, but wanted to assure you that the tingling is the lnerve trying to come back on line -- similar to a foot that has gone to sleep when sitting in a certain position too long. The tingling will probably feel worse as the nerve is actually getting better. Reassure her that its a good thing. Being confident and relaxed will help it heal faster than stressing over it. Motrin or Aleve might help reduce the inflammation and help things calm down. Did the dr say anything about trying them or applying ice or ice and heat to the area?

Thanks for all the encouraging words. Of course we are both concerned, but I do feel very optimistic, especially after reading all the above stories.

She is going in to the dentist this afternoon. We'll see if he advises any type of treatment.

I just had all four of mine extracted about two weeks ago, not fun but had to be done. Did your DD have roots? I didn't have roots, so my numbness went away within a few hours. I'm sure if the oral surgeon had to be more invasive with my teeth things would have gone differently. He did tell me before I was put out that my numbness might take quite a bit longer to go away, it really depends on the case and a whole bunch of ifs.

Tell her not to worry!! I expected it to be much worse than it was, although I still can't get used to the idea of having "holes" that take 6 weeks to heal and me having flush them out. I shudder using that word to describe my mouth

Yes, her roots were very long. The surgeon told her she should have done this at age 16. He said 24 was almost too old!

I did not know it takes 6 weeks for the holes to fill in. Man, this is a big deal, isn't it?

The dr. did some nerve testing on her mouth today. He said it is a very small area that is affected although it seems larger to her. After poking and probing he said he was optimistic the feeling would all come back and that it would just take time. He also told her there was a chance it might not.

Try not to worry about the numbness not going away. The doctor sounds pretty confident in it going away, but he wants you to be informed of all the possibilities. Yep, a minimum of 6 weeks, I had never heard of that before I got my instructions and a syringe during my follow up visit...how not fun!