Community Message Boards

Thread: Need a substitute for corn syrup in chocolate pecan pie recipe

Need a substitute for corn syrup in chocolate pecan pie recipe

I'm trying a recipe for a recipe panel and was told I can make any substitutions and modifications I want. What can I use in place of the corn syrup?

Chocolate-Pecan Pie
    Makes 12 wedges

Pastry for 9-inch pie, homemade or store-bought
    4 large eggs
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons bourbon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 cup pecans (4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line the pie shell with foil or waxed paper
    and fill with pie weights. Bake for 8 minutes, just to set the crust. Leave
    the oven on.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the brown
    sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, bourbon and salt.
    3. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour in
    the filling. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top. Bake for 35 to 45
    minutes, or until the edges of the filling are firm and the center is set
    but still at little quivery, like gelatin. If the edges of the crust start
    to brown too quickly, cover them with strips of foil.
    4. Let cool for at least 1-1/2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature. If
    you make it ahead and refrigerate it, then warm in a 275F oven for 15
    minutes before serving (this is to melt the chocolate a bit).

Each wedge has 317 calories, 17 g fat, 40 g carbohydrates (1.4 g fiber), 4
    g protein.

I found this on Cooks.com:

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE

2 c. white sugar
    3/4 c. water
    1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
    Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.
    Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

I also found this on Barry Farm Foods:

Corn Syrup 1 cup 1 c granulated sugar + 1/4 c liquid;
    or 1 c honey
    or 1 c sorghum
    or 1 c. molasses

Pecan pie is my personal nemesis, so I'd be afraid to sub anything! It does seem like it would be a good idea to test the recipe as written, then try it with the substitute.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

How about using something like King Syrup?
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    How about using something like King Syrup?
    I was going to suggest Golden Syrup - is that what King's Syrup is?

Anyway, you can find Golden Syrup usually in with the molasses, although sometimes it's with the British/UK specialty products. It's made from cane sugar.

I use Golden Syrup as a substitute all the time. It's pretty easy to find these days and it gives the pie a bit of caramel flavor. If we had King Syrup around here, I'd use that. Maple syrup would probably work too -- not pancake, but grade a maple, which doesn't have that much flavor.

I saw a Pecan Pie recipe around Christmas time that had 1 cup brown rice syrup and 1/3 cup maple syrup (along with eggs, salt, vanilla and small amt of butter). That's my plan next time I make a pecan pie. Corn Syrups are HIGHLY refined syrups which if I understood correctly, is what HFCS is made from. I stay away from corn syrup as much as possible. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite using Lyle's Golden Syrup...but I haven't read up on the difference between the two yet.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

I routinely use Honey in pecan pie with good results.

Thanks everybody! I did some research and actually found some recipes that don't require corn syrup, including the following from All Recipes that got excellent reviews. I think I'll play around and try to incorporate some elements of this recipe into the recipe I was given (which I'm allowed to do).

Pecan Pie V
    SUBMITTED BY: Elaine Helms
    "Unlike most pecan pies, this one does not require corn syrup."

Original recipe yield:
    1 - 9 inch pie
    PREP TIME 15 Min
    COOK TIME 40 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr 5 Min
    PHOTO BY: REDPONYGIRL
    US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped pecans
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla and nuts.
    Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.

Looks like you're on the Hallmark Magazine Test Panel too. I've got to buy pecans so I can give this a try. I was once given some mini Chocolate Pecan tarts that were really good. Hope this is too.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    I saw a Pecan Pie recipe around Christmas time that had 1 cup brown rice syrup and 1/3 cup maple syrup (along with eggs, salt, vanilla and small amt of butter). That's my plan next time I make a pecan pie. Corn Syrups are HIGHLY refined syrups which if I understood correctly, is what HFCS is made from. I stay away from corn syrup as much as possible. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite using Lyle's Golden Syrup...but I haven't read up on the difference between the two yet.

Dolores
    I have been wondering about the difference, too. I made some cracker jacks over the holidays using brown rice syrup, and it turned out great, so I am very hopeful that it will work just fine for pecan pie. I have wondered, though, if it is really that different from HFCS or if all sugary syrups are equally bad.

Anyone care to educate me?
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Maybe this link can provide some useful info on sweetners. I'm going to read about the brown rice syrup. I know that certain sweetners may alter the taste and texture. And yes, I am on the Hallmark Recipe Test Panel. sounds like fun!

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nut...sweets_use.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    I have been wondering about the difference, too. I made some cracker jacks over the holidays using brown rice syrup, and it turned out great, so I am very hopeful that it will work just fine for pecan pie. I have wondered, though, if it is really that different from HFCS or if all sugary syrups are equally bad.

Anyone care to educate me?
    Hi Kathy...

I hear what you are saying. All syrups are not created equal. Consider maple syrup: an organic NATURAL syrup made simply by evaporating the water out of maple tree sap. It doesn't go through the refining and over-processing that corn syrup and HFCS goes through. Raw honey is also a syrup that does not go through over-processing but since it contains fructose...should be eaten in moderation. I also have listed here in my list of recommended syrups...organic blackstrap molasses. My understanding is the less refined a sugar/syrup is, the less it causes blood sugar to spike leading to mood swings and tiredness. I need to do more research on brown rice syrup. I don't see it listed on my Sugar Table (written by Emira Elgan who pens a newsletter called Vegetarian Organic Life.

Since you were successful with brown rice syrup in your cracker jack recipe, I'm going to use it for the recipe also. Thanks for sharing that. Is this the Emeril Lagasse recipe made with his essence???

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southjerseymom, thanks for the link. Looks like the brown rice syrup gets a thumbs up. YEA! Since it says it has a "mild butterscotch flavor", that probably was a beneficial perk to my cracker jacks!

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    Since you were successful with brown rice syrup in your cracker jack recipe, I'm going to use it for the recipe also. Thanks for sharing that. Is this the Emeril Lagasse recipe made with his essence???
    Yes, that's the one! I was pretty hesitant to use the brown rice syrup the first time I made it when I had never used it before at all, but as I said, it turned out just fine.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Thanks Kath...

This makes it even more appealing to make!! As healthy as any granola bar to my mind --so I now consider this Cracker Jack recipe a healthy food! Yay! I'll use sucanat for the sugar portion and brown rice syrup for the syrup portion and I'm in hog heaven!! Thanks!

Dolores
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~