Community Message Boards

Thread: How long without a wet diaper before I get concerned?

Exclamation How long without a wet diaper before I get concerned?

DS (turning 1 this week) has been sick this weekend. He vomitted 4x yesterday and had a bit of diarrhea yesterday as well. He seems to be feeling better today, no thowing up, but he's not been producing much as far as wet diapers are concerned.

I got him up from his nap this afternoon around 2:30-2:45, and he was dirty. I assume he was wet too, but it was hard to tell. As of bedtime at ~6:45, he had not had a wet diaper this afternoon.

I nursed him twice during the time he was up, and he drank probably around 5-6 oz of pedialyte, and kept it all down so I know he was consuming fluids but I'm concerned that we haven't seen a wet diaper yet.

At what point do I call the doctor for more advice? When its been 6 hours? Any thoughts, anyone?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Sorry to hear that your little guy is sick, Lara. It's very good that he is drinking liquids. Going more than 6 hours without wetting a diaper merits a call to the doctor.

Really check those diapers though. I remember that the absorbent material in them sometimes made it seem that there was not urine in it, but I could smell it, even though I couldn't see it or feel it on the material.

I found a website with some helpful information:
    http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...lls/11527.html

If you have a concern, do not let it go. Give your Pediatrician's answering service a call tonight and discuss this with the doctor before the night is over. Hope your son feels better soon.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Lara,

I'm so sorry that Colin is sick. When Griffin had the same type of thing right before he was one, they had me take him to the ER after 12 hours. The most important thing was to keep an eye on him. They had me put a square of toliet paper in his diaper to see if he made any urine. Additionally, I was instructed to look at the interior of his mouth. If that looked dry then head to the ER right away for an IV.

I would definitely keep pushing the fluids. One of the things we were able to get Griffin to take was the Pedalyte frozen pops. I also tried to 'sleep' nurse him. That was about the only time that he would actually eat.

I hope he feels better soon.

Cheryl

I hope things are going better. It is so scary to have babies that are so sick. I've had similar experiences, and I would suggest you call your doctor to get their advice (My doctors usually will come in at odd times or pre-authorize a trip to the ER to have a doctor check out the little one, or arrange a visit in the AM.)

There also is medicine to give to children to have them rest and stop vomiting, but it sounds like you are beyond that.

Don't think you are being silly or a pest, that's what after hours "On Call" duty is for. I vote make the call.

Lara, I would call.

When Shaelyn had the flu, the doctor told us to also check if she was producing tears or sweating. If she wasn't doing either, that was another sign of dehydration.

Just something else to think about. I hope Colin gets better soon!

Sorry - I never got back to the computer last night

I checked him around 8:00 pm, and his diaper was wet. I did get him up before I went to bed to try and get some more fluids in him, and he took another ounce or so of pedialyte.

He slept through the night, and had a VERY wet diaper this AM.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Lara, I'm so glad that things have turned the corner for Colin. It's so hard when they can't tell you these things and you have to guess. (((((hugs))))) Sending restful thoughts to you both.