Community Message Boards

Thread: Pre-cutting potatoes

Pre-cutting potatoes

I'm making a stew tomorrow and I want to be able to have everything ready so I can throw it all in the crockpot in the morning. Can you peel and cut the potatoes the night before and will they still be ok? How should I store them?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    I'm making a stew tomorrow and I want to be able to have everything ready so I can throw it all in the crockpot in the morning. Can you peel and cut the potatoes the night before and will they still be ok? How should I store them?
    I will pre-cut potatoes, but not usually more than 1-2 hours beforehand, and then I store them in cold water. I will be curious to hear what other people say--I have never quite had the nerve to do them the night before.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I've made stew in the crock pot stew putting all the ingredients (including potatoes) in the crock and storing it in the fridge until morning. As far as I can remember it turned out fine, especially if you put the potatoes on the bottom the the other ingredients on top. Try to do it just before going to bed and put all the ingredients in the crock together. I've done it a few times and don't remember any problems with the quality of the stew. I think it would be fine. I think the main problem with cutting potatoes ahead of time is discoloration, and with a stew, it really wouldn't matter because everything is mixed up all together.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom View Post
    I've made stew in the crock pot stew putting all the ingredients (including potatoes) in the crock and storing it in the fridge until morning. As far as I can remember it turned out fine, especially if you put the potatoes on the bottom the the other ingredients on top. Try to do it just before going to bed and put all the ingredients in the crock together. I've done it a few times and don't remember any problems with the quality of the stew. I think it would be fine. I think the main problem with cutting potatoes ahead of time is discoloration, and with a stew, it really wouldn't matter because everything is mixed up all together.

I think I'm going to give that a try...

You can also store them peeled and cut, submerged in water, in the fridge. It changes the starch content of the potatoes, but that wouldn't make too big of a difference for stew. I used to do all of my chopping and prepping on the weekends, and I'd peel and cube potatoes for mashed potatoes 2 or 3 days in advance with no problems.

Thank you for posting this thread - I was just wondering the exact same thing!!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jphilg View Post
    You can also store them peeled and cut, submerged in water, in the fridge. It changes the starch content of the potatoes, but that wouldn't make too big of a difference for stew. I used to do all of my chopping and prepping on the weekends, and I'd peel and cube potatoes for mashed potatoes 2 or 3 days in advance with no problems.
    Same here. I peeled and quartered white potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday and they were fine when cooked and mashed on Thursday. About changing the starch content, I didn't notice anything but I did cook the potatoes in the water in which they were soaked and used some of the water to mash them with. Maybe that helped?