Community Message Boards

Thread: BF allergic to vinegar

BF allergic to vinegar

Hi everyone.........
    I'm new and can't believe I just found this forum!
    My BF can't have anything with vinegar in it and I miss my salads. Anyone have ideas/recipes for salad dressings without vinegar? Thanks in advance.

Is it a specific vinegar or acidic foods in general?

If it is the white, distilled vinegar is problematic, I was going to suggest red wine vinegar or cider vinegar; Even lemon juice works great for salad dressings.
    Rice wine vinegar is very mild and made from rice, so maybe it is more neutral for him.

Not sure this helped but hope so.

Oh, you could always make cream based dressings with seasonings and mayo/buttermilk.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I have never heard of a vinegar allergy. Does such a thing exist?

I'm wondering if he just hates vinegar and is trying to give a solid excuse why you can't use it

I was doing some research (as much as one can believe on the 'net) and it seems the allergy to vinegar is more of a mold allergy. And that has to do with the bacteria that is put into the wine to turn it into vinegar. I don't remember all the details, but it's out there if you do a google search.
    Some substitutes are:
    Any citrus juice.
    Wine (you can cook off most of the alcohol if that's an issue)

If it is a mold allergy, the red wine might be a problem as well, depending on the severity. I have friend who has severe mold allergies, and has issues with vinegar, wine, beer, cider, cheese, yoghurt.... All my favourite foods!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Use small-curd cottage cheese, either just drained, or drained and blended smooth. It is a great choice at a restaurant buffet salad bar, instead of the more conventional salad dressings.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have heard of substituting citrus. He truely is allergic to vinegar. Can't have mayo, ketsup, relish, BBQ sauce, etc. He gets severe stomach cramps. Its an unusual allergy (condition) but it does exist. I have learned to work around it pretty easily. We are both red wine lovers and that doesn't bother him

If you're using lemon juice, add a little honey to tone down the acidity.

I got served this salad at a friend's house: romaine lettuce cut in shreds, fresh dill leaves, olive oil and lemon juice. I'm not generally a fan of lemon juice in salads, but this one worked for me. Dill and lemon juice usually go very well together.

This dressing is very good! It says vinaigrette, but there is actually no vinegar in it.

Lime Vinaigrette

cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 tbsp liquid honey
    tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    tsp dry mustard
    cup sugar
    cup vegetable oil
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Pour lime juice and honey in blender and add pepper flakes, dry mustard and sugar. Whirl. Slowly pour in oil and whirl until thoroughly blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.

I googled it too, and found out it does exist, so forgive my suspicions earlier

Poor guy. If I were dating him and he told me that, I'd probably roll my eyes in a "yeah right" kind of way

Allergic to vinegar. Learn something new every day

My sister can't have anything with balsamic vinegar in it. No other vinegars bother her but balsamic makes her extremely nauseaous so I have to be careful not to use it when she is around. I wonder if this is actually an allergy of sorts.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

This is my fav salad recipe...I know there is alot of sugar in the recipe but you can cut it to 1/4 cup if you don't want it as sweet!

Lemon Spinach Salad
    Source: Party Dish Show - Trish Magwood - Foodnetwork.ca

Ingredients:
    Lemon Spinach Salad
    1/3 cup (75mL) lemon juice
    1/2 cup (50 mL) sugar
    1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon rind
    1/4 cup vegetable or grape seed oil
    3 cups (750 mL) fresh spinach
    1 cup (250 mL) fresh strawberries
    1/2 cup (125 mL) pine nuts or sunflower seeds, toasted

Directions:
    Lemon Spinach Salad
    In the bowl of a food processor or blender combine lemon juice, sugar, mustard, grated lemon rind and oil. Pulse until combined and thickened.
    In a large bowl, toss together, spinach, strawberries, and sunflower seeds. Toss with enough dressing to coat.
    Refrigerate remaining dressing in a covered container.

Quote Originally Posted by Deechef View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have heard of substituting citrus. He truely is allergic to vinegar. Can't have mayo, ketsup, relish, BBQ sauce, etc. He gets severe stomach cramps. Its an unusual allergy (condition) but it does exist. I have learned to work around it pretty easily. We are both red wine lovers and that doesn't bother him
    Oh, I am so glad I ran across this post. Your BF and I are exactly alike. Can not eat any condiments with vinegar. Absolutely nothing that resembles it, smells like it, to include red wines. For some strange reason, this includes cottage cheese, yogurt and a few other things. Now, one could say I'm a picky eater, but I eat nearly anything and love my vegetables. However, I even get near vinegar I start to wretch right where I sit or stand. Had to quit a dishwasher job when I was young due to the stench. I'm so glad I'm not alone. Psychologically, it reminds me of someone with a bad case of athletes foot or a feminine problem (no offense to anyone). Just my take on the issue.

Reported

My Dad is allergic to vinegar. I make salad dressings for him using yogurt. Uncle Dan's ranch dressing mix in yogurt is great. I use the Greek yogurt because of the thicker consistency.

For a little variety, try using a can of whole pack tomatoes (drained), lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and your favorite fresh or dry herbs. Put into a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. This makes a tasty salad dressing. I like adding fresh basil and parsley. ( If you have home grown tomatoes, try them in this dressing.).

A note: be careful of mustard in salad dressings -- many have vinegar in them.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Is it a specific vinegar or acidic foods in general?

If it is the white, distilled vinegar is problematic, I was going to suggest red wine vinegar or cider vinegar; Even lemon juice works great for salad dressings.
    my little sister can't have vinegar either--- as for the lemon, thjat's what i always use as the aciod in my dressings, or sometimes a little lime or orange added as well.

it helps the emulsion much better than vinegar, and to m e, tastes fresher. i use EVOO, a little dijon mustard or dry mustard, a clove of garlic, maybe a smidge of raw onion if it's around, salt, and whatever herbs appeal. then lemon to taste. if i'm making enough for more than one day, i might use some veg oil as well as olive, so it doesn't get as cloudy in the fridge.

that's my everyday dressing, and i love vinegar.

I have no idea if this will be helpful to him or not, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

My dad and sister have both been unable to tolerate bell peppers of any kind for years (and years!). They would get severe stomach cramps after eating a tiny amount. Recently, my sister tried using Beano with peppers and it worked! She was shocked. And thrilled to be able to eat peppers again. My dad hasn't tried it yet.

I'm not saying your BF's issue with vinegar is the same, but it might be worth a try?

How strange and fun to see my first post pop up again DBF still is allergic to vinegar and he is still my DBF. I have found several salads over the past four years that we can both enjoy so all is good but I really feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy condiments.

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    If it is a mold allergy, the red wine might be a problem as well, depending on the severity. I have friend who has severe mold allergies, and has issues with vinegar, wine, beer, cider, cheese, yoghurt.... All my favourite foods!
    Don't think it's a mold allergy. I have EXACT same. Doc told me it is intolerance to fermentation process.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Someone on another board was allergic to vinegar and was trying to use verjus as a substitute. I don't know whether that would work for you; it's juice from unripe grapes and has a somewhat sour taste, but it's not fermented.
    I was thinking that same thing. there is also Saba. it's expensive but like aged balsamic a little goes a very long way. terrasonoma is a loal company I've purchased both from. a nutritionist or the company should e able to tell you wether it's in the vinegar family.
    Karen

Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deechef View Post
    That is SO peculiar to me! My husband suffers from the exact same symptoms, and cannot tolerate ANY condiments because they all contain vinegar - usually used as a preservative. All of the other vinegar allergy sufferers that I've researched have completely different reactions...more like hay fever symptoms. I've had to make several adjustments to the way I cook for him, but I've figured out a way to prepare meals that require condiments so that we can both enjoy them!

As far as salad dressing goes, I've been working on a salad dressing that is delicious and also "eater friendly" for him, lol. It's comprised of both fresh lemon and lime juices to substitute the acid of the vinegar - dehydrated garlic, dehydrated red and green bell pepper flakes, dehydrated celery, onion flakes, salt, cracked pepper and sugar. I haven't quite nailed the exact amounts, but I'm pretty close! I'll be sure to let you know when it's ready for its debut, lol!

Something else that's also peculiar is that you and I have the same birth date - and our significant others have the same allergy! Such a small world!