Community Message Boards

Thread: Where do you buy frozen butternut squash?

Where do you buy frozen butternut squash?

Besides the freezer section I mean???

Is this a Trader Joe's specialty? I can't seem to find it at my local HEB.

I love butternut squash, but I can't handle the raw stuff since I have some sort of bizarre skin allergy to it. After I peel and chop it up, all of the skin on my fingers turns super dry and yellow, and eventually peels off!!

I don't have any problems with it cooked though, and have been craving it. I'm hoping the frozen stuff works (assuming I can just open the bag and dump it in the recipe).

Leigh, that sort of happens to me. The starch in the squash seems to coat my hands and is nearly impossible to get off. I always wear food service gloves now when I peel squash and I don't have any problems.

I can find peeled squash in the fresh produce section. Or mashed butternut squash in the freezer section of my regular grocery store.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    Besides the freezer section I mean???

Is this a Trader Joe's specialty? I can't seem to find it at my local HEB.
    I look for it periodically in Austin, but I haven't seen it in any of the stores. I've looked in HEB, including Central Market, Albertson's, Randall's, and I think I looked in Whole Foods, although I can't remember specifically because I'm not in there very often. Anyway, I would REALLY like to find it...

I bought a bag of frozen, cubed butternut squash at Walmart a few weeks ago, sold under their generic store brand.

Kari

Trader Joe's sells bags of fresh cubed and peeled butternut in the refrigerated produce section.

Bird's Eye has Winter squash, which is the same, IMHO. I buy the fresh, but am tempted to use the frozen next time. I just hate cutting it up.

what's HEB?

Have you tried exfoliating your hands immediately after preparing the squash? I get that starch coating too, and I just scrub them with them same scrub brush I use on my dishes....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

HEB is a Texas-based grocery store chain; they tend to have better produce and meat in my area, and they also operate the Central Market stores which sell more specialty items.

My local chains are an HEB Market (some of the cool stuff from Central Market with the normal things of a grocery), Randalls, and Kroger, and I have never found fresh or frozen cubed butternut squash. I've been tempted to talk to a store manager at HEB to see if they can order it, but with a toddler in tow, I never follow through.
    -- Nancy

No amount of scrubbing gets rid of this - believe me, I've tried everything (lava soap, exfoliating scrub, brushes, you name it)! It actually physically changes my skin. Within about 10 minutes, they get really dried out and puckered, and the top layers of skin peel off entirely within a few hours. It's totally bizarre, and a little scary!! It's not painful at all - just incredibly annoying.

I wish we had Trader Joes down here. It sounds like the stores in Austin (Texas??) just don't carry it! I may just have to suck it up and see if Wal-Mart has it (ugh).

I've only seen it at Trader Joe's.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I have found it at QFC (Kroger).

Stop and Shop and Shop Rite both carry their own brand of frozen butternut squash.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com