Community Message Boards

Thread: QUESTION: Muir Glen Tomatoes VS Non-Organic Tomatoes

QUESTION: Muir Glen Tomatoes VS Non-Organic Tomatoes

I remember reading on the boards that the Muir Glen canned tomatoes are so much better than the non-organic canned tomatoes for pasta sauce...I'm just wondering how much better it is and is it really worth the price difference...I've seen them at 2 stores this week and they are $4.00/can vs. $1.00/can of the italian canned tomatoes I usually buy to make my pasta sauce! I usually use 2 of the big cans to make my sauces (freeze half) so that's $8.00 just for the tomatoes!

Need opinions...thanks! erin

They don't cost that much here. I actually prefer Italian tomatoes myself, but do like Muir Glen too. They are available in more stores now than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by erinlovesmarc View Post
    I found this side by side comparison...

I find it odd that they compared the fire-roasted Muir Glenn to others that are not roasted, doesn't exactly make it apples for apples.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have to say that, in terms of taste, texture, etc., I don't find them any better than good-quality non-organic brands. For me the reason to pay the extra price is if you consider organic worth it in terms of health and/or politics.

Ouch. $4/can is expensive. They don't cost that much here.

I only use Muir Glen - they taste brighter and more fresh than any other canned toms I've tried. I can definitely taste the difference in my pasta sauce.

They carry some Muir Glen cans of tomatoes at Walmart. I got the large cans of diced (not fire roasted) for $1.52!! They don't have a full selection, at least not yet.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

As I recall, Cook's Illustrated tested canned tomatoes a year or so ago, and they gave Redpack the highest ratings.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone View Post
    They don't cost that much here. I actually prefer Italian tomatoes myself, but do like Muir Glen too. They are available in more stores now than in the past.
    It "IS" expensive! You should see some of the other organic products that are imported here in Canada...local organic is reasonable but anything imported is ridiculous, organic or not!

They don't have Muir Glen in my market. Where do you get it? Do they carry that brand at Trader Joe's? I'm dying to try it since I've heard so many good things about it. I'll check and see what the price difference is here (if I can find it to compare).
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by gobluem82 View Post
    As I recall, Cook's Illustrated tested canned tomatoes a year or so ago, and they gave Redpack the highest ratings.
    My Mom always buys Redpack, and it was also the suggested brand by what's-her-name (ETA: Marcella Hazan)...the lady that writes really good Italian cookbooks. Since my Mother is my main source of tomatoes (she buys them a case at the time and then gives me half for free), I am not about to get picky with brands, but I DO like them.

Angela
    Last edited by Angelina; 01-18-2007 at 11:37 AM.

I buy redpack (real simple had some kind of testing with the same result), San Marzano when I can find them (my personal favorite), and Muir Glen fire roasted for certain dishes.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    They don't have Muir Glen in my market. Where do you get it? Do they carry that brand at Trader Joe's? I'm dying to try it since I've heard so many good things about it. I'll check and see what the price difference is here (if I can find it to compare).
    I've seen them at Whole Foods. I don't remember if TJ has them, though.

The only ones I've seen at TJ's are the 14.5 ounce cans of whole peeled tomatoes; no diced or crushed. I think they sell regular and fire-roasted. I buy them on sale at Whole Foods or Safeway so I don't have to pay full price when I need them. For sauce I'd try to buy San Marzanos on sale - they're pretty pricey otherwise.

I've never heard of redpack - must be regional?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I was very happy to find the Muir Glen diced tomatoes in a pack of 6 14oz cans for about $6 at Costco.
    I like the fire roasted variety for Mexican dishes.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Me too! I made chili last night and was disappointed that I didn't have any crushed fire-roasted, as I like both the flavor and the texture.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    TKay, where are you in Southern California? Henry's Marketplace, which is owned by Wild Oats carries Muir Glen products. I'm not sure if Wild Oats does, but probably. If you go to Wild Oats' website, www.wildoats.com, you can search for a store by zip code.
    Hope this helps.

What about the Walmarts in CA?
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

The Walmarts here only carry diced MG. Target has a bigger selection. Occasionally I've found them at Big Lots for 50 a can.

Erin, I agree with Sneezles. Not exactly a fair comparison, but I thank you for the link. I'm curious about the Strianese.

Hi Erin,

I actually agree with the poster on the other thread who said they found the Muir Glen tomatoes underripe -- definitely not worth the price here in Montreal, IMO. I'd pick a Italian brand of tomatoes any day. My favourite brand is Mastro (tomatoes packed in tomato juice, no salt added); they don't seem to have that acid, tinny taste that is so prevalent in canned tomatoes. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact price, but I think it's about $2 per 796ml (big can). I never tried the brands that have basil or other seasonings, as I prefer to add my own, so I'm no help here.

I love Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes in dishes for which they're appropriate (such as Mexican). I don't find their regular tomatoes to be anything exceptional, though. I can get them at Walmart very cheaply (about $1.25/14 oz) - about 1/2 the price of the local grocery chains. That said, I would not pay $4 a can for tomatoes - it's just not worth it.

I will have to look around for Redpack tomatoes, to see what all the hype is about.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I really like the regular Muir Glen diced tomatoes myself. Thank goodness Costco sells them by the six-pack! I agree that CAN $4 is way too much, even with the exchange rate differences. I think at my local market I paid just under US $2.

If I can't find Muir Glen, I've found Del Monte canned diced tomatoes to be a good substitute.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

I starting buying the Hunt's brand, I believe it is, organic. I find their tomatoes to be very good. Next I will try the Muir ones. I can't remember the price. I have to go to the store today. I will look.