Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick help needed - lost rice cooker cup!

Quick help needed - lost rice cooker cup!

I lost the little plastic cup that you use to measure rice for the rice cooker. I'm not sure if these things are standard or not - but I have an Aroma 10 cup model that I bought at Costco. Can someone let me know how much rice that little cup holds? Thank you!!!

If you can't find it, use the standard measure of 1 part rice 2 parts water.

My rice cooker is 30 years old, and for the 2 of us I use 1/3 cup rice, 2/3 cup water This is for either long grain rice, basmati or brown rice.
    Curleytop

I used 1.5 cups rice and filled the water line up to "2". I've tried the 2:1 water to rice, and it just makes horribly mushy rice in the cooker for some reason (probably traps more steam). I think the 1.5 cups seemed about right though... Thanks!

The little plastic cup measures ~ 3/4 c of rice...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I find the 2:1 ratio to be too much too.

I always use a little less than what the rice cooker calls for or it turns out mushy and I HATE mushy rice. I just eyeball it to just below their measuring line, but I need to come up with a more accurate measure because sometimes it turns out a little crunchy or still a little mushy. I need to find an exact measurement that I can rely on each time.

As Kay said, it's about 3/4 cup.

I believe on the cooks illsutrated show today (the one with the potstickers on it) they said 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup of rice. I know its late but maybe for future reference this will help.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

For most electric rice cookers the ratio is 1:1 so it doesn't matter what size cup you use unless you need to make a specific amount.

BTW, I've "lost" my cup a number of times over the past 25+ years and it "magically" appears a few months later!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

If it's 1:1, that's easy enough! I assumed 3/4 cup, so used 1.5 cups and filled the water line up to 2 (double). That worked out perfectly, so maybe I just need to measure how much water it takes to fill the line up to the 2 mark in the rice cooker...if it's 1.5 cups, then it will make my life much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    so maybe I just need to measure how much water it takes to fill the line up to the 2 mark in the rice cooker...if it's 1.5 cups, then it will make my life much easier!
    Just remember that the liquid you add to line 2 (or any line) is based on the rice already being in the pot.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Just remember that the liquid you add to line 2 (or any line) is based on the rice already being in the pot.
    I just checked my instruction book...you're right! I've been doing it wrong

Leigh - I have the same rice cooker. Here is a table from the manual

Uncooked Rice, Water with Measuring Cup, Waterline Inside Pot, Approx Cooked Rice Yield

2 cups, 2 1/2 cups, Line 2, 4 cups
    3 cups, 3 1/2 cups, Line 3, 6 cups
    4 cups, 4 1/2 cups, Line 4, 8 cups
    5 cups, 5 1/2 cups, Line 5, 10 cups
    6 cups, 6 1/2 cups, Line 6, 12 cups

(etc)
    When cooking brown or wild rice add an additional 3/4 cup water. The measuring cup included is not an exact cup. Chart refers to cups of rice/water based on the measuring cup provided with this appliance.

Use the measuring cup provided, measure and add rice to the pot. One full level cup equals one cup.

I just tested this...one overfilled measuring cup was equal to a scant 1 cup (in my measuring cups)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else from the manual.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Ok - for future reference (for me mainly, since I'm more likely to find it here by searching than remembering this information!)

I used 1.5 cups of dry rice (rinsed) and just a little over 2 cups of water - that brought the water line up to the "2" in the rice cooker (with the rice already in the cooker). This seemed to work perfectly well. Thanks for all the help ladies!

I measured the amount of water the rice cooker cup holds, and it was 1 cup, less 1 tablespoon... My rice cooker, which is an admittedly low-cost variety, said to use one of the rice cups, rinse the rice (which adds water) and use 1 cup of water... My rice is usually done before the cooker changes to warm, and sticks and scorches if I'm not careful... so I guess I'd use more warm water. Just FYI
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!