Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO recipe ideas for a ham bone?

ISO recipe ideas for a ham bone?

We have a ham bone in the freezer from our Christmas ham. I guess I would like to make soup out of it, but DH does not like lentils or split peas (I love lentils and am ambivalent about split peas, but I'm not sure I want to eat a whole pot of soup by myself for a month).

Does anyone have any other soup ideas? Or do you think I can substitute the ham bone for ham hocks?
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

You might lose some depth of flavor by using the bone instead of the ham hocks, but I would certainly go for it! If you needed to, you could always perk up a soup with some worchestershire or even liquid smoke. This is my favorite bean soup- it's not heavy and cloying like I find many bean and pea soups. You could certainly use canned beans in this if you didn't want to mess with the dried ones.

This definitely improves with age, so make it well in advance if possible.

Navy Bean Soup with Rosemary and Smoky Ham Hocks
    Recipe By : Sara Foster, Fresh Every Day
    Serving Size : 8
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 medium yellow onions -- diced
    4 celery stalks -- diced
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 1/2 cups dried navy beans -- soaked overnight
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 smoked ham hocks
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon sea salt -- plus more to taste
    1 teaspoon black pepper -- plus more to taste
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary -- chopped

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and reduce heat to low. Cook and stir until soft and brown, about 15 minutes. Add the celery and cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute more, being careful not to let it brown.
    Add the drained beans, chicken broth, ham hocks, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered until beans are tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
    Remove the bay leaves and discard. Remove the ham hock and place it on a plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, pull the meat off the bone and add to the soup. Stir in the fresh rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. The soup is even better the day after it is made. It will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or also freezes well.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I just found a hambone in my freezer too
    I tossed in a pot of dried red beans; when they were slightly ready to give, I popped in the bone, onion, garlic and seasonings (cumin, paprika, garlic, etc.).
    I'm going to let the bone cook in there for awhile; then I'm gonna toss in a cup or two of brown rice and when the rice is near ready, a can of diced tomatoes.
    Depending on how it looks/tastes, I may sprinkle cheese
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I recently used mine for Mexican Ham and Bean soup which uses pinto beans. I just threw the ham bone in with the beans to simmer, then took it out, removed the meat and added the meat back in. Worked great!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - ham and beans!
    Julie

This is my favorite. Despite the title, it tastes good in the winter as well, using frozen or canned vegetables.

Summer Ham Bone Vegetable Soup

1 ham bone, with some meat
    4 cups fresh or canned tomatoes
    3 potatoes, diced
    1 large onion
    4 stalks celery, sliced
    1 TBSP sugar

1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 cup fresh or frozen corn
    1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen green beans

Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer ham bone in one quart of water for 3 hours, adding more water as necessary. Drain, chop ham, removed excess fat, returning chopped ham to pot. Add next 6 ingredients (through sugar) and simmer for 1 additional hour. Add corn, peas, and green beans and simmer for 10 more minutes or until they are tender. Correct seasoning and serve. Serves 6 to 8.

You might also do a search on Ham Bone. There are many recipes out there, a number of which do not use beans.

No recipes, but I have a friend who'd love to take that ham bone off your hands... (see my avatar!) LOL I too have always wondered what to do with a hambone so thanks for starting the thread.

Thanks for the ideas! It sounds like the ham bone will work with any sort of bean soup. We love black beans, pinto beans and red beans, and that Mexican Ham and Bean Soup sounds really good.

I wondered if it would sub for ham hocks because I've seen a ton of recipes using ham hocks. I don't buy them that often but you're right, I guess the hocks would be more of a smoky flavor than a ham bone.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

I made the following with our xmas ham bone. It was GREAT!
    -Susan

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sherried Black Bean Soup

Recipe By :Sara's Secrets Food Network
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : New Text Import Soup
    Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound Dried Black Beans -- rinsed and drained
    8 cups water
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine -- sub olive oil
    2 medium Onions -- chopped
    1 stalk Celery -- thinly sliced
    1 medium Carrot -- shredded
    1 clove Garlic -- minced or pressed
    1 ham hock -- (about 1 pound)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon whole cloves
    1/8 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 bay leaf
    1/3 cup dry sherry

In a large, heavy saucepan, bring the beans and 4 cups of water to a boil. Boil briskly for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour.

In a 5-quart Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook until soft but not browned. Add the ham hock, the remaining 4 cups water, parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, cloves, mustard seed, bay leaf, and beans (with their liquid). Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 3 hours.

Remove the ham hocks and let cool slightly. Remove and discard bay leaf. Place about half of the beans with about 1 cup of the liquid from the soup in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Return the puree to the soup in the Dutch oven.

Remove the ham from its bone and add the meat to the soup. (Discard fat, bones and skin.) Reheat the soup over medium heat. Stir in the sherry. Serve hot soup with choice of garnishes to sprinkle on top

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

Quote Originally Posted by Peweh View Post
    No recipes, but I have a friend who'd love to take that ham bone off your hands... (see my avatar!) LOL I too have always wondered what to do with a hambone so thanks for starting the thread.
    I have a Hambone sitting in the freezer too and DH recommended giving it to the Sous-Chef. She got a vealbone instead because I really want to make something with the Hambone.

I LOVE making soup with a ham bone; it's probably my favorite kind of soup to make. I put it in a big soup kettle with a lot of water; add onions, tomatoes, carrots, shredded cabbage, peppercorns, and maybe some celery. If the bone isn't too meaty I may add a bit of ham boullion. The real key here is the addition of caraway seeds!! Sometime I add potatoes, too.
    Yummmmmmmmmm - you've made me want to go and get a ham bone, now!!
    Good luck!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous