Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Rice wine vinegar substitute?

Help! Rice wine vinegar substitute?

I need to use some in a recipe tonight and don't have any. I have white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar. Will any of those do the trick? I know there are varying sweetnesses etc, but I don't know what is what off the top of my head. Thanks!

I would use white wine vinegar and dilute it a bit.

Is the recipe Asian??
    Maybe diluted lemon juice?

Guess it depends what the recipe is as to what I'd sub...maybe even just a crisp white wine.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by Julzer View Post
    I need to use some in a recipe tonight and don't have any. I have white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar. Will any of those do the trick? I know there are varying sweetnesses etc, but I don't know what is what off the top of my head. Thanks!
    Just for you, I tasted my rice wine vinegar. The closest was white wine vinegar, next was white vinegar, but I would go with apple cider vinegar because I think it had the more pleasant taste. Yes, I do like vinegar, I am sitting here eating a bag (small) of Cape Cod Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips

Cookieee, you are good Here is the definition and list of substitutions that I found on Cooks Thesaurus:

rice vinegar = rice wine vinegar Notes: Rice vinegars are popular in Asian and they're sweeter, milder, and less acidic than Western vinegars. They're sometimes called "rice wine vinegars," but they're made from rice, not rice wine. Most recipes that call for rice vinegar intend for you to use white rice vinegar, which is used in both China and Japan. The Chinese also use red rice vinegar with seafood or in sweet and sour dishes, and black rice vinegar in stir-fries and dipping sauces. Substitutes: apple cider vinegar (also add a pinch of sugar if you like) OR white wine vinegar OR 3 parts white vinegar + 1 part water
    Miche

Thank you, I just diluted down the white vinegar and it was fine. Thanks again for the responses! You all are the best!