Community Message Boards

Thread: Digital Camera Question

Digital Camera Question

Our camera is about 5 years old now. I bought a new battery for it back in May for my trip to Maui (while there I took about 150 picures). The camera doesn't get used all that much just a couple of pics here and there since the Maui trip. Now for some reason we fully charge the battery but once we put it in the camera it shows a really low battery and turns off after about a minute. We figure it must be the camera. Any ideas what would be causing this? I'm really trying to avoid buying another camera befor our honeymoon in Oahu in March.

Many Thanks!
    Robin

It sounds as if it might just be the battery. Sometimes, when you don't charge it often enough or use it enough, a battery can lose it's charge, even when it's just been charged. Don't know if that makes sense or not. I'd bring it to a camera place and have them look at it.

Don't give up on the possibility that it's the batteries. Is this a "proprietary" battery or are they rechargeable AA type? Either way, take the camera and battery to a camera store and see if they have a known good battery you can put in your camera just to see which it might be.
    Oops, I see Zweiback and I posted the same advice at just about the same time. Great minds.

The exact same thing happened to us with our digital camera. We got a new battery for it, and it still wouldn't hold a charge either. I spoke with a guy at a camera shop (where I did NOT buy a new camera, so I don't think he was telling me this just to get me to buy a new camera) who said that digitals only typically last 5 years, and that not holding a charge is the number one problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalapeno View Post
    I'm really trying to avoid buying another camera befor our honeymoon in Oahu in March.
    No help on the camera question since I just got my first digital camera for christmas (good for documenting evidence of dog bite ).

But, I take it I should scratch you off of coming to supper club in March.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

It could be that the battery was old when you bought it, especially if it was from a discount battery dealer. That could also happen at any store. I learned that from a place where I buy batteries for my digital camera. I'd really never thought about the shelf life of a battery.
    tennismate

Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    No help on the camera question since I just got my first digital camera for christmas (good for documenting evidence of dog bite ).

But, I take it I should scratch you off of coming to supper club in March.
    Poor Gigi!

Hmmm I don't know about that one. The wedding is the 24th so I might just make it!

Did you happen to leave the batteries in the charger after it was unplugged? I did that once and the batteries were virtually dead when I went to use them. Now I know to take the batteries completely out of the charger once they are fully charged. I just got a new camera, but my old camera (probably about 5 years old) was just starting to just fly through the batteries. They weren't lasting nearly as long as they did when I first bought the camera.