Community Message Boards

Thread: Dog Bite

Dog Bite

Yesterday at doggy day care, my 10# affenpinscher got bit by a shepherd mix.

They keep the small dogs and large dogs separate. But they are doing construction on the area where the large dogs are normally, so right now a gate is all that separates them.

Well, the gate didn't get quite latched. My dog wandered through. Big dog saw little dog and ran towards it. Little dog has been bit by a different big dog (not at doggy day care but when we were walking in our neighborhood), so she thought she better not stick around to see what big dog wanted.

Big dog thought, oh how fun, i will chase you and chomp you.

Little dog ran faster but got chomped anyway.

The doggy day care people got them separated quickly and checked my dog out but didn't see any injuries . . . just some hair pulled out.

Well, turns out my dog had a puncture wound (probably not easy to see until it started to get inflamed). So i had to take Gigi to vet today. She got shaved, antibiotic ointment, pain shot, antibiotic shot. Apparently she is bruised all on her backside too. I had to leave work early to take her to the vet. I had to pay $145 for vet. And I will have to continue to give her antibiotics, ointment, and pain medication [and if any of you remember an earlier thread my dog HATES getting medication and fights me all the way and finds it in anything i have hidden it in so we are in for quite a fun time.]

I am glad that nothing worse happened. And that Gigi still likes small dogs (she was wanting to play with my neighbor's dog). But . . .

who do you think should pay for the vet? me, because my dog went where she didn't below? the owner of the dog, because that was the dog that actually bit her? the doggy day care place, because they weren't careful enough to make sure gate was latched?

I got a duplicate copy of the bill I paid. If it was your dog that bit my dog would you be willing to pay? would you make me ask you or offer? if it was your doggy day care place would you be willing to pay? would you make me ask you or would you offer?

Just curious.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

First check the rules of the day care. Most have written rules about this kind of thing.

Second, what I see most often is the owners of the biter and bitee splitting the bill.

Hope that helps and hope Gigi feels better!!!

Good idea to check the day care policy but my first thought was day care should pay. The owner of the other dog doesn't seem at fault...they were not the ones responsible from keeping the shepherd away from the other dogs it was the daycare staff. Also not your fault for going where she wasn't supposed to be since again, it is the day care person who is responsible for keeping the dogs seperated.

Glad Gigi is okay but sorry about having to adminster the medication....

P.S. If you know the owner of the shepherd mix you may want to make sure they were informed about what happened. As a large dog owner, I would want to know if A) my dog bit another dog and B) if the person I was paying to take care of my dog was somewhat negligent and that led to a dog bite.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think that the doggy day care should have insurance for this very thing. As you said,
    because they weren't careful enough to make sure gate was latched
    It wasn't either of the dogs' fault. They were just doing what dogs do.

And I notice that as I was posting, misskitty100 was too, and I do agree that I would want to know if my dog had bitten another.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Well Theresa I would say if anyone needs to pay it would be the daycare. The way I see it once the daycare takes possession of the dog they are responsible for the dog. It was their negligence that allowed Gigi to be put in a situation to be hurt. Knowing the dogs are now in a bit of a different situation due to construction should have made them pay even more attention so safety details and not latching a gate properly is inexcusable.

The shepherds owners, just like you, left their dog there to be supervised. If it was a child and the kid was clobbered in the head with something by another child and hurt would you think it would be the parents of the other childís fault or would you think it was the daycares fault for allowing the children to be in that situation in the first place?

Poor Gigi...I hope she feels better soon.

I agree with what the others said, check the provisions of the agreement you signed when enrolling her, but, you may still be able to get reimbursement for the vet expenses because of the gate issue.
    I looked into doggie day care for my pom and was afraid of the same type of issue. I'm sorry this happened to your dog but thank you for alerting me to the potential problems of doggie day care (not to criticize doggie day care providers - a great idea!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jalapeno View Post
    If it was a child and the kid was clobbered in the head with something by another child and hurt would you think it would be the parents of the other childís fault or would you think it was the daycares fault for allowing the children to be in that situation in the first place?
    In answer to this question--it would most likely be "my fault" as the clobberer's parent. I would be responsible for paying any medical bills. Now, if my child pushed another down the stairs because the gate was left unlatched, that's a different story, since there was negligence involved. The latter is more like this situation, but it's difficult to weigh them as parallel situations, because in the eyes of the law (and the insurance companies!), dogs are not the same as children.

You do need to check your daycare rules--you most likely were asked to sign some sort of agreement releasing the daycare from harm if your dog bit another. The gate adds a bit of a wrinkle, but that's where you need to start. Hopefully you have a whole packet of info w/ rules & regs, etc., to review. If there is no stated policy, well, that's something they SHOULD have.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Another way to look at this is that sh*t happens, and your dog is OK. Yes, you had a vet bill, but $145 is nothing compared to what it could have been. It's done and taken care of, move on.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    You do need to check your daycare rules--you most likely were asked to sign some sort of agreement releasing the daycare from harm if your dog bit another.
    This is a good argument on the face of it. But if that doggie day care wants her business again, they should consider doing something to make up for their negligence. I'm with the group. Contact doggie day care and see what they are willing to do. Regardless if you sign a release form, if the daycare says they will keep large animals segregated from small animals then they failed in their part of the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    This is a good argument on the face of it. But if that doggie day care wants her business again, they should consider doing something to make up for their negligence. I'm with the group. Contact doggie day care and see what they are willing to do. Regardless if you sign a release form, if the daycare says they will keep large animals segregated from small animals then they failed in their part of the agreement.
    Please don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that they SHOULDN'T offer to help with/cover the bills. However, that's a far cry from being legally accountable. Also, I understand the difference because of the gate--that's why I offered the people daycare example. If it were my business, I guess I'd have to take into account how often things of this nature happened, the severity, etc. And, if the policy of keeping the larger dogs away from the smaller dogs is not in writing, I would certainly ask for something before I kept using them. That's what I meant by checking the documentation the OP has.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

I had another thought...maybe in lieu of reimbursing you for some or all of the Vet expenses they could allow Gigi to come to doggie day care for no charge for a few days? In our area, doggie day care runs about $20 a day so a week of free day care would be a nice gesture if they are willing to do that.

Interesting to read your responses. The money isn't a big deal to me really. I do feel very glad that nothing worse happened. I believe if they hadn't acted quickly, the shepherd would have grabbed Gigi and shook her and who knows if she would be alive.

What most upsets me isn't something that $ can fix. Because I have to give Gigi pills for 7 days, she will really hold it against me. I just reached down to pet her and she started and ran away from me. Now she is hiding in another room. Just two days ago, I could do that no problem. But she so totally gets scared of me when I have to give her medication. And it will take months for her to "trust" me again.

So I think it is just my frustration with having to go through that because of somebody's dog (that is suppose to be socialized which should mean not attacking another dog no matter what the size) and somebody's carelessness (not getting the gate latched).

None of them have to deal with a dog that is very shy and anxious and only recently had begun to let me pet her with two hands. she didn't trust that i wasn't trying to grab her (although i never did). And i have had her for almost 2 years.

so the $ is really not a big thing. If only it didn't come associated with the other stuff. <sigh>
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Armel,

Why don't you ask doggie day care to administer the pill? Maybe they could get it in her so she won't hold it against you.

Sorry this happened to your dog.

This may not help you now, but it could be some help in the future...

My dog LOVES to take pills, and I think I know the reason why. Everytime I make rice or pasta, I'll give him a little hunk of rice or a noodle here or there, two things he loves. He has learned (unintentionally!) to associate me holding my fingers close together with getting a yummy treat. This is the same way I hold a pill, so he thinks it's a treat and it goes right down. I'm not sure when/how long it took for this to happen, but it's certainly a life saver when it comes to giving him medication!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."