Community Message Boards

Thread: Low-fat hummus recipe to share, along w/a request

Thumbs up Low-fat hummus recipe to share, along w/a request

A vegan friend of mine gave me her mother's artichoke hummus recipe (her mom died two years ago of heart disease). It's awesome! I made a few tweaks for convenience sake -- the recipe is posted below.

Here's the request: Could some kind soul with MasterCook run this through your program to tell me the nutritional analysis? I have one of those Pampered Chef heart trivets that they were selling last fall to donate to some charity dedicated to heart disease research. I want to give my friend the trivet for Valentine's Day with a copy of the recipe in a frame. (And I want the nutritional analysis to share with my WW friends!) THANKS!!

Teresa’s Mom’s Most-Excellent Artichoke Hummus

1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
    1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained
    6 cloves of garlic, peeled (or 1-2 tsp. minced bottled garlic)
    1 T. lemon juice
    ½ tsp. Penzey’s California sweet paprika
    ½ tsp. Penzey’s Aleppo pepper
    ½ tsp. Penzey’s ground cumin
    ½ tsp. kosher salt
    ½ C. extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients except oil in food processor. Process until blended, then slowly add olive oil until ingredients are creamy.

Serve with pita wedges, crackers or vegetables.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Everything is reallyhigh because there are no servings given and I didn't change anything from what you posted.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1813 Calories; 120g Fat (57.3% calories from fat); 44g Protein; 158g Carbohydrate; 41g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1073mg Sodium. Exchanges: 8 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 23 Fat.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one View Post
    Everything is reallyhigh because there are no servings given and I didn't change anything from what you posted.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1813 Calories; 120g Fat (57.3% calories from fat); 44g Protein; 158g Carbohydrate; 41g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1073mg Sodium. Exchanges: 8 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 23 Fat.
    Thanks for your quick reply! Since I'm REALLY bad at math....can MasterCook calculate servings based on recipe yield?

This batch fit perfectly into a 2.5 cup Ziploc container. Let's say a "serving" would be 3 Tablespoons, which I think is 1/4 cup, which would be 10 servings, right? Would you mind taking another run at it?

TIA!!
    ---W.C.Fields

I ran the recipe through my Living Cookbook. 2.5cups = 40 TBS; 40TBS/3 TBS = 13.3 servings (rounded it down to 13 servings). Based on that...

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 131.8 calories; 58% calories from fat; 8.8g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 201.9mg sodium; 183.5mg potassium; 11.7g carbohydrates; 3.3g fiber; 0.1g sugar; 8.5g net carbs; 2.9g protein.

The 1/2 cup oil (8TBS at about 13g fat per TBS) is the killer....that alone makes up 73.4calories and 8.3grams of fat per serving. I'm going to try your recipe--sounds great-- and cut down on the oil and maybe sub with broth if it seems to need thinning out.

Thanks....great idea on reducing the oil/replacing with broth.
    ---W.C.Fields

When making hummus, I reduce the oil & replace with orange juice (or cranberry, whatever I have on hand). Not sure I'd like the broth as much. Plus, if it's important to remain vegan, broth wouldn't be good.

Another trick I have learned in making healthier hummus is to use some of the liquid from the beans to thin it out. That might work with this recipe. It looks great but I can't add all of that oil...even if it is the healthy kind.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    When making hummus, I reduce the oil & replace with orange juice (or cranberry, whatever I have on hand). Not sure I'd like the broth as much. Plus, if it's important to remain vegan, broth wouldn't be good.
    Isn't vegetable broth vegan?

Plus,,I too like to use juices and/or liquid (water) from other ingredients used that were canned...that keeps the flavors "pure" when you don't want to introduce another flavor