Community Message Boards

Thread: A five pound pork loin at 425 degrees...

A five pound pork loin at 425 degrees...

Would take how long to cook? I'm using the Simply Roasted Pork recipe and it tells me that a 3 pound loin of pork would take about 50 minutes. Mine is 5 pounds. I googles cooking times, but all I could find were for 350 degrees. I need to know what time to put the pork loin in the oven!

Any help is greatly appreciated! (I'm having 7 people for dinner tonight and don't want to be eating at midnight! )

Kim

Simply Roasted Pork

1/2 cup apricot preserves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (3-pound) boneless pork loin, trimmed
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425.

Place the preserves in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, and cook 10 minutes or until melted. Keep warm over low heat.

Combine salt, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper; rub evenly over pork. Place pork on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Brush 1/4 cup preserves evenly over pork. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Brush remaining preserves evenly over pork. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 155 (slightly pink). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Yield: 14 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces)

CALORIES 159 (27% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 1.6g,mono 2.1g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 20.6g; CHOLESTEROL 59mg; CALCIUM 24mg; SODIUM 232mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.6g

I cut a big loin like that in half - decreases the cooking time and there are 4 end pieces instead of two.

So, here's a calculation that should help.
    Total cooking time is about 50 minutes for the 3 lb roast. So 50 minutes divided by 3 lbs = 16.666666 (17) minutes per lb. So, for a 5 lb roast, total cooking time would be 85 minutes. Given that the last 20 minutes are for glazing the roast, cooking time before the first glaze application would be 65 minutes.
    However...... if you have one, insert a meat thermometer into the roast so you can monitor internal temp during the cooking.
    And, of course, you want to leave time for a 10 - 15 minute rest before slicing the roast.

Ha! Of course! Thanks. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that!

Problem solved!

Oops, I must have replied at the same time as Hammster...Thanks to you both for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kabs View Post
    Oops, I must have replied at the same time as Hammster...Thanks to you both for the help!
    No problem. Also, if you cut it in half, you will have 2 2.5 lb roasts so the cooking time would be even less than the recipe calls for. Still use the same 17 minutes per pound calculation. And a thermometer.

Fresh Pork: Safe Cooking Chart
    Cut Thickness or Weight Cooking Time
    ROASTING: Set oven at 350 F. Roast in a shallow pan, uncovered. Internal temperature: 160 - medium; 170 - well done.
    Loin Roast, Bone-in or Boneless 2 to 5 pounds 20-30 minutes per pound Crown Roast 4 to 6 pounds 20-30 minutes per pound
    Leg, (Fresh Ham) Whole, Bone-in 12 to 16 pounds 22-26 minutes per pound
    Leg, (Fresh Ham) Half, Bone-in 5 to 8 pounds 35-40 minutes per pound
    Boston Butt 3 to 6 pounds 45 minutes per pound
    Tenderloin (Roast at 425-450 F) to 1 pounds 20 to 30 minutes total
    Ribs (Back, Country-style or Spareribs) 2 to 4 pounds 1 to 2 hours (or until fork tender)
    BROILING 4 inches from heat or GRILLING
    Loin Chops, Bone-in or Boneless -inch or 1 inches 6-8 minutes or 12-16 minutes
    Tenderloin to 1 pounds 15 to 25 minutes
    Ribs (indirect heat), all types 2 to 4 pounds 1 to 2 hours
    Ground Pork Patties (direct heat) inch 8 to 10 minutes
    IN SKILLET ON STOVE
    Loin Chops or Cutlets -inch or -inch 3-4 minutes or 7-8 minutes
    Tenderloin Medallions to -inch 4 to 8 minutes
    Ground Pork Patties inch 8 to 10 minutes
    BRAISING: Cover and simmer with a liquid.
    Chops, Cutlets, Cubes, Medallions to 1-inch 10 to 25 minutes
    Boston Butt, Boneless 3 to 6 pounds 2 to 2 hours
    Ribs, all types 2 to 4 pounds 1 to 2 hours
    STEWING: Cover pan; simmer, covered with liquid.
    Ribs, all types 2 to 4 pounds 2 to 2 hours, or until tender
    Cubes 1-inch 45 to 60 minutes
    NOTE: Cooking times compiled from various resources.

Hey Vanessa,
    Thanks for the helpful chart of cooking times. It's for 350 degrees oven temp so the times are a bit off for the 425 degree temp the recipe calls for.
    A lot of recipes are calling for "pink" pork now and I've seen temp recommendations down to 145 degrees for a pork loin roast internal temp. Carryover cooking for 10 -15 minutes will bring the internal temp up another 5 - 10 degrees. I've been splitting the difference and doing mine to 150 to 155 degrees (before resting) and have been very happy with the results.