Community Message Boards

Thread: Good side for chicken piccata?

Good side for chicken piccata?

I've decided to try the chicken piccata from Barefoot Contessa at Home next week. I haven't been able to figure out what sort of sides to go with it, though -- a salad seems natural, but I'm coming up blank on starches. A risotto? Plain pasta? Suggestions welcome!

I like to serve chicken picatta with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable like broccoli or green beans.

I usually serve it with CL's Parmesean Orzo. Sometimes I add some baby spinach and sundried tomatoes to the Orzo. I have served it with Giada's Lemon Spaghetti, but prefer the orzo. I think both recipes are floating around here somewhere. I'm happy to post them if you can't dig them up.

If you're not married to the idea of salad, I have been making this recipe quite often and it's really easy and yummy.

Baked Asparagus Parmesan with Balsamic Glaze

Serves 2 (117 cals per serve)

1 pound thick asparagus, tough ends trimmed
    1 teaspoons olive oil
    3 Tbsp.freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper
    2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoons dark brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Place asparagus in baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle oil over asparagus and sprinkle with Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

2. Bake until asparagus are crisp-tender and cheese has melted and is crispy. Meanwhile, in small skillet, heat balsamic and brown sugar until reduced to 1 tablespoons.

3. Serve asparagus drizzled with balsamic glaze.

Adapted from epicurious.com reader recipes.
    Submitted by kelyene
    April 5, 2006

I also do an orzo dish everytime I cook Piccata (garlic parm orzo).

I have served it several times with a lemon/garlic angel hair pasta or garlic/parm orzo.

i like my chicken piccata with brown rice cooked in chicken broth & with lemon, garlic & parsley mixed into it. add roasted balsamic green beans or broccoli & i'd call it a meal.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

Manetta - would you post the Parmesan Orzo recipe? I would like to try that.

Thanks!
    barbara-cook

A friend who's a sous-chef made me a great dinner of chicken piccata, garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans w/ other mixed veggies.....fantastic combo!!
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

This recipe is fantastic - enjoy!

Creamy Parmesan Orzo

From Cooking Light
    Unlike traditional pasta, this orzo isn't cooked in a pot of boiling water. Instead, it's cooked slowly in a flavorful broth that captures its starch.

1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup orzo
    1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted

Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add orzo, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and orzo is done (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with the pine nuts. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 236 (24% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 9.9g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 82mg; SODIUM 412mg; FIBER 1.7g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.8g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2004
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Rice Pilaf is always excellent as a chicken sidedish!

I was going to say balsamic-glazed asparagus (the CL recipe) and Parmesan orzo or cappellini, but maybe green beans amondine would be good, too?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks, guys! I will definitely makethe orzo - sounds delicious. Have to think about veggies some more, I have a lot of green in my menus this week.

Thanks for posting the orzo recipe, Pammela!

Quote Originally Posted by barbara-cook View Post
    Manetta - would you post the Parmesan Orzo recipe? I would like to try that.

Thanks!
    The recipe posted by Pammela is the one I use. I often toss in a handful or two of baby spinach and sundried tomatoes. Toasted pine nuts make a nice addition, too.