Community Message Boards

Thread: Your Best Muffin Recipe?

Your Best Muffin Recipe?

I need to make a couple dozen muffins for an event next week and of course, I want them to be amazing. So, what is your best muffin recipe?

I like this recipe from Ina Garten:

Cranberry Harvest Muffins

Yield: 18 Large Muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/4 cups whole milk
    2 extra-large eggs
    1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
    1/2 cup medium-diced Calimyrna figs
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
    3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    Method:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk, eggs and melted butter. Stir quickly just to combine. Add the cranberries, figs, hazelnuts and both sugars and stir just to distribute the fruits, nuts and sugar evenly throughout the batter.

Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned on the top and a toothpick comes out clean.

Herea are some of my favorites...

Banana-Chip Oat Muffins
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...a-chip+muffins

Burst O'Lemon (or Lime) Muffins
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...27lime+muffins

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Recipe By : posted by Blue Moose at CLBB/Better Homes & Gardens
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast Muffins
    Quick Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour (can use all white flour)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 to 3 over-ripe large bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4
    cups or so)
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 tablespoon canola oil (original recipe uses 3 T., some people use no oil)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large egg
    1 cup or so milk chocolate chips (I like to use chopped up Hershey bars)

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

In another bowl combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg.

Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.

Stir in chocolate chips or chunks.

Pour batter into muffin tins OR mini muffin tins OR 2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 F for approx. 20 minutes?? until they test done--sorry, I don't remember the exact baking time (50 to 55 minutes for the loaves or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Mini muffins are probably 17-18 min.??).

Makes 2 loaves or 18-24 muffins or about 4 doz. mini muffins

I LOVE these. i make them jumbo sized by filling all the way to the top of the muffin tin.

Blueberry Muffins

"Big blueberry flavor warrants big muffins, so fill the cups right up for oversized muffins that will please everyone. The cinnamon-sugar streusel is the crowning glory."

Double the Recipe to fill muffin tins to the top for extra big Deli-Style muffins!

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    ¾ cup white sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking powder
    ? cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    ? cup milk
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    ½ cup white sugar
    ? cup all-purpose flour
    ¼ cup butter, cubed
    1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
    2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
    3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
    4. Bake for 20 to 25 min. in the preheated oven, or until done.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

My very best muffin recipe is from the Silver Palate cookbook, Raspberry Streusel Muffins.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/8/9568

ina garten's banana crunch muffins are fantastic! i created a thread on it a few weeks back, and the recipe is also up on my blog. they got RAVE reviews!!

Couple recipes that I really like:

Christmas morning cranberry muffins

Serving Size : 10

250 milliliters cranberries
    60 milliliters sugar
    125 milliliters all-purpose flour
    250 milliliters whole wheat flour
    60 milliliters sugar
    10 milliliters baking powder
    2 milliliters cinnamon
    1 milliliter ground allspice
    1 egg
    1 ml grated orange peel
    180 milliliters orange juice
    50 milliliters melted butter
    35 milliliters applesauce, unsweetened

Coarsely chop cranberries.

Sprinkle with 60 ml sugar and set aside.

In bowl, stir together flour, 60 ml sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and make a well in the centre.

Combine egg, orange peel, orange juice and melted butter. Add all at once to the flour mixture stirring to moisten.

Fold in cranberry mixture and nuts.

Fill greased muffin cups and bake 375F for 15-20 min. or until golden.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 164 Calories; 5g Fat (25.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 147mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 3.3 pts

Banana-Blueberries Crumb Muffins

Serving Size : 10

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 bananas
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    1 egg
    1/4 cup margarine -- melted
    2/3 cup blueberries
    CRUMB TOPPING:
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons oats
    1 tablespoon margarine

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, cinnamon.

In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, corn syrup, egg and melted margarine. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.

Add blueberries. Spoon batter (1/4 cup at a time) into muffins cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon. Cut in margarine. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake for 18 to 20 min.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 220 Calories; 7g Fat (26.5% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 368mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 4.5 pts per muffin
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Chocolate chip muffins from the ultimate muffin cookbook.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I had it saved in mastercook:

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Recipe By :Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Nonstick spray or paper muffin cups
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    2 large eggs -- seperated, at room temperature
    1/2 cup sour cream (regular -- low-fat, or nonfat)
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) melted and cooled
    1 teapsoon vanilla extract
    1 cup milk (whole -- low-fat, or nonfat)

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. To prepare the muffin tins, spray the indentations and the rims around with nonstick spray, or line the indentations with paper muffin cups. If using silicon muffin tins, spray as directed, then place them on a baking sheet.

Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl until uniform. Stir in the chocolate chips until well coated with flour. Set aside.

In a second medium bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed for 2 minutes, or until soft, airy peaks form. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sour cream, brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light, smooth, and pale brown. Whisk in the milk until uniformly blended, about 30 seconds.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until moistened, then gently fold in the egg whites just until no white streaks are visible.

Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. Use additional greased tins or small, oven-safe greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second baking. Bake for 23 minutes, or until the tops are slightly cracked and lightly browned.

Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool them for 5 minutes more on the rack before serving. If storing or freezing the muffins, cool them completely before sealing in an airtight container or in freezer-safe plastic bags. The muffins will stay fresh for up to two days at room temperature or up to 2 months in the freezer.

Variations:
    Carob Chip Muffins: Substitute 1 cup carob chips for the semisweet chocolate chips.

Chocolate Chip Chocolate Crunch Muffins: Top each muffin with Chocolate Crunch Topping (page 222) before baking.

Milk Chocolate Chip Muffins: Substitute 1 cup milk chocolate chips for the semisweet chips.

Mint Chocolate Chip Muffins: Substitute 1 teaspoon mint extract for the vanilla extract. Substitute 1 cup shaved dark chocolate or dark chocolate mini chips for the semisweet chips.

Source:
    "The Ultimate Muffin Book"
    Yield:
    "12 Muffins"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3263 Calories; 132g Fat (35.2% calories from fat); 49g Protein; 498g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 610mg Cholesterol; 2258mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 24 1/2 Fat; 19 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Chocolate chip muffins may inspire turf wars, but these might suit all sides. They're a little sweeter than some of the other muffins in this book so that the taste of the chocolate really comes through. The egg whites are beaten seperately, a seemingly fussy step that actually lightens a batter laced so heavily with chocolate chips. And sour cream adds a slight tang that enhances both the chocolate and vanilla flavors.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I made these mandarin orange/ chocolate chip/ coconut muffins a few weeks ago for a baby shower- they were really good and very simple to prepare. People seemed to like the flavor combo. http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/wi/l/wil16012.htm

There is a whole thread about these and they are not only great tasting, but healthy, too!

5-Grain Muffins

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads, Rolls, and Muffins Breakfast Dishes

1 cup Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Cereal
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup butter -- melted and cooled slightly
    3/4 cup dark brown sugar -- packed
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup unbleached flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup coconut
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Combine cereal and buttermilk and let soak at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400º. Prepare muffin tins.

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Cool slightly. Whisk in brown sugar. Beat egg into butter/sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in butter-sugar mixture and oat mixture, alternating between the two. Fold in raisins, cranberries, coconut and pecans. Do not overmix.

Fill prepared muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes or until done.

Nutritional Info (approx.): Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 199 Calories; 9g Fat (38.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

We eat a lot of muffins, but these are the ones DH likes the best.

Banana Praline Muffins
    from the website: www.thatsmyhome.com
    Makes 10 muffins.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray10 muffin tins with PAM.

3 medium bananas
    1 egg
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup oil
    1-1/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Praline:
    3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
    1Tablespoon sour cream
    1/2 cup pecan pieces

Mash bananas in a bowl. Add eggs, sugar and oil. Beat well. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ones, and mix just until moistened.

Put batter into 10 muffin tins. Mix praline ingredients in a small bowl. Top each muffin with some praline mix (in the center of muffin top); press down gently on praline with fingers. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.

* The recipe said this makes 12 muffins. I always make 10 (may depend on the size of your muffin tins, or your preference).

My new favorite muffins!

Oats 'n Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Recipe By :Best Muffins & Quick Breads
    Serving Size : 12
    Categories : Appetizers & Snacks Muffins

1 cup quick cooking oats
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg -- slightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup blueberries -- or cranberries

In large bowl, combine rolled oats and buttermilk; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Heat oven to 375. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.

Add honey, oil and egg to oats mixture; blend well. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to oats mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in blueberries. Fill greased muffin tins about 3/4 full.

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm.

My Notes: I used frozen wild blueberries

Source:
    "susan_foster"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=71049&highlight=grain"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 183 Calories; 6g Fat (27.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 229mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Others NOTES : My variations (subbed for blueberries):

apple cinnamon
    dried cranberries with grated orange zest
    tropical fruit (diced dried tropical fruit bits)
    cranberry pecan
    strawberry
    banana
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com

I was going to suggest the Burst O Lemon muffins Linda linked to. They are great and something a little different from the standard muffins.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Middydd View Post
    My very best muffin recipe is from the Silver Palate cookbook, Raspberry Streusel Muffins.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/8/9568

They are gorgeous and delish-- I'll second that idea.

This is one my family really loves.

Carrot Muffins – From “The Garden Fresh Vegetable Cook Book” – by Andrea Chesman

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1-tablespoon baking powder
    1-teaspoon baking soda
    1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1-teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ½ cup butter, softened
    1-cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    1-½ cups firmly packed grated carrots
    ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    ¼ cup sour cream or yogurt
    1-teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Topping:
    ½ cup sugar
    1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    5 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 16 regular-size muffin cups (or use paper liners).
    2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
    3. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the carrots, maple syrup, sour cream and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture until smooth.
    4. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. The batter will be stiff; an ice cream scoop does a great job of distributing it.
    5. Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, until they have risen and a knife inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
    6. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for a few minutes.
    7. To make the topping, mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. When the muffins are just cool enough to handle, one at a time, dip the tops into the melted butter and then into the sugar and cinnamon mixture, covering the tops completely. Let cool before serving.

Makes 16-18 muffins.
    barbara-cook