Community Message Boards

Thread: stick blender soups?

stick blender soups?

I know it sounds like a strange title...but I just got my new stick blender, (I had one years ago, loved it, and it died... so I've been without one for about 4 years)... and I was wondering if anyone has some nice soup recipes, that you use your stick blender with?

Thanks!

Abbey

Oddly, I don't like stick blenders. But I do like this soup! And if I were to use a stick blender, I'd definitely use it on this one:

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup with Cheesy-Garlic Croutons
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

6 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
    1 cup chopped yellow onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 tsp. Cayenne
    1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
    6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
    8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, sliced
    2 tsp. Fresh thyme leaves
    1 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
    1/3 cup brandy
    6 cups chicken stock
    1-1/2 cups heavy cream
    1 8-inch baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
    3 cloves peeled, crushed garlic
    2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
    3 Tbsp. Finely grated Parmesan

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the brandy, bring to a boil and cook until glazed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
    Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor. Add the cream, return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.

Preheat the oven to 400F.
    Rub both sides of the bread slices with the crushed garlic and place on a baking sheet. With a pastry brush, brush 1 side with the olive oil. Top with a fine sprinkling of the cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Removed from the oven.

To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with 2 croutons.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

...or this one:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND ROASTED-GARLIC BISQUE
    From Bon Appetit

2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    3 cups chopped onions
    3/4 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
    6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub cut surfaces of garlic with oil. Put halves back together to reassemble heads. Wrap each tightly in foil; bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Cool garlic in foil.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; sauté until onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, unwrap garlic. Squeeze from skin into small bowl. Discard skin. Mash garlic with fork until smooth.

Stir garlic into soup. Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Stir in 1/2 cup cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer soup to tureen. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.

Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sage.
    Makes 12 servings.

or this one:

Cream of Greens Soup
    From "The City Gardener's Cookbook"

1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    6 cloves garlic, sliced
    2 tbsp. butter
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 cups choppped broccoli
    1 cup diced potato
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1 cup shelled fresh peas
    1-1/2 cups chopped spinach
    1 cup milk
    1 cup yogurt
    1 grated carrot, for garnish

In a large soup kettle, sauté the onions, celery, and garlic in the butter. Add the broth, broccoli, potatoes, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for 30 minutes, then add the peas and spinach and continue simmering for 10 minutes. In a food processor, purée the mixture and return to the soup kettle. Add the milk and yogurt and heat thoroughly, but do not allow the soup to boil. Serve hot, topping each bowl with the grated carrot.
    Serves 6

Notes:
    I vary this a little, but not dramatically: I use frozen peas, usually skip the yogurt and carrot, and use more spinach. 1% milk is just fine. Last night I tossed in a diced zucchini. Also, I squeeze in the juice of half a lemon when I add the spinach and peas. I think I shook a couple of drops of Tabasco in for a little more depth, too. A blender is the better device for puréeing this, so I skip the food processor. Should be a pretty versatile recipe.

I love my stick blender -- and souped up a storm with it. I think Jazzmatazz posted the Carl's Pagoda Soup and the other two are from CL

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Garam Masala
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
    Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

8 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 medium)
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
    4 cups chopped peeled Braeburn apple (about 1 pound)
    1/4 cup sweet white wine
    3 cups water
    1 can (14-ounce) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons soy milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°.
    Combine squash, 2 tablespoons oil, syrup, salt, garam masala, and pepper in a large bowl. Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until soft.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in apple; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Stir in squash, water, and broth. Bring to a simmer; cook 3 minutes. Place half of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Repeat procedure with remaining half of soup. Stir in soy milk.

Notes:

While traditional curry powders often use turmeric as a base, garam masala, a North Indian spice blend, starts with a mix of cardamom, coriander, and black pepper. If you can't find Braeburn apples, Cortland apples will do. Use two percent reduced-fat milk in place of soy milk, if you prefer.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: About 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 203(25% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 0.8g,mono 3.8g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 3.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 130mg; SODIUM 327mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g

Gingered Winter Squash-and-Root Vegetable Soup
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
    Serving Size: 11

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon ground mace
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
    2 1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato (about 3/4 pound)
    3/4 cup (1-inch-thick) sliced parsnip
    5 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
    1 cup skim milk

Directions:

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and next 8 ingredients (onion through red pepper); sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add squash, sweet potato, parsnip, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until tender.
    Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour puréed vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Return puréed mixture to pan; stir in milk. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 11 cups (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 65(36% from fat); FAT 2.6g(sat 1.1g,mono 0.7g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 2.2g; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 27mg; SODIUM 59mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8g

Carl's Pagoda-Inspired Tomato Soup

Recipe By: CLBB
    Serving Size: 0

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 spanish onion, roughly chopped
    8 medium tomatoes, 8-10 medium beefsteak
    3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon scotch bonnet chiles, 1/2 to 1 teaspoons scotch bonnet, jalapeno, or Thai chile pepper
    1/4 cup sugar, (white)
    1/4 cup chopped scallion, greens for garnish
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves for garnish

Directions:

Place a large skillet over medium-high flame and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onions, tomatoes, ginger, and garlic, stirring well after each addition, and cook until the onions and garlic are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, chile, and sugar, stirring after each addition, and cook until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth, Strain and discard the seeds and pulp. Reheat if necessary.

Garnish each serving with scallions and cilantro.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Creamy Artichoke Soup

I love this soup!

Creamy Artichoke Soup Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: Little Late Night Suppers

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 leeks, white part only, washed well and chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small potato, peeled and chopped
    1 (8-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
    2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish

Heat olive oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and the garlic and stir. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the artichokes, stock, salt, and pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
    Using a handheld immersion blender, or in a blender in batches*, puree the soup. Add the 2 tablespoons mascarpone and blend again to combine. In a small bowl, stir the remaining 1/3 cup mascarpone to soften.

Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Dollop the top of each of the soups with a spoonful of the softened mascarpone cheese and top the cheese with chives.

* When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

Oooh! That Creamy Artichoke Soup looks good...

I made a double batch of CL's Broccoli Cheese Soup this weekend. I used my stick blender instead of the regular blender. Yum.

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Processed cheese melts beautifully, giving this soup a smooth texture and mild flavor.

Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets
    2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)

Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
    Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.

Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)

CALORIES 203 (28% from fat); FAT 6.3g (sat 4g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 15.6g; CHOLESTEROL 24mg; CALCIUM 385mg; SODIUM 897mg; FIBER 2.9g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.7g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2002

Yum

YUM! These all sound fantastic. We are (finally) getting a nor'easter tonight and all day tomorrow... so I plan to go to the store today, and make soup tonight! I've been in such a soup rut, so it will be nice to try something new.

Two of my favorites are the Roasted Cauliflower Soup and the Roasted Balsamic Tomato Soup, both you can use your stick blender!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I haven't made soup using my stick blender, but I do pulverize tomato chunks for sauce, because DH doesn't like chunky sauce... I love the thing!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I use mine whenever I make Bree's Lentil-Tomato Soup:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 1/3 cups water
    2 1/3 cups dried lentils
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    Chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
    Cilantro sprig (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the turmeric and the next 6 ingredients (turmeric through garlic); sauté for 1 minute. Add water and next 4 ingredients (water through diced tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.
    Reserve 2 cups lentil mixture. Place half of remaining mixture in blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with other half of remaining mixture. Stir in reserved 2 cups lentil mixture. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and a cilantro sprig, if desired.

Yield: 11 servings. (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 186(9% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 0.3g,mono 1g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 14.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 54mg; SODIUM 412mg; FIBER 13.9g; IRON 4.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.8g

I use mine when I make my mom's tortilla soup recipe (it's based on one from the California Pizza Kitchen cookbook, but vegetarian-ified).

Tortilla Soup

3 Tbsp oil
    3 7inch corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch squares (can use tortilla chips instead)
    1 Tbsp chopped garlic
    2 Tbsp chopped onion
    2 cans yellow corn
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    7 plum tomatoes, chopped
    Small can tomato paste
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 Tbsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 quart vegetable broth (4 cans)

Garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese

1. Over medium-high heat, fry tortilla squares until they crisp and turn yellow. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion turns translucent. Add 1 can corn and rest of ingredients. Bring soup to a low, even boil. Boil for 5 minutes.

2. Remove soup from heat. Process small amounts at a time in food processor. Return soup to original pan.

3. Add other can of corn. Simmer over low heat. Serve with tortilla chips and garnishes.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

Last night I made the Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup, that Canice posted. It was a big hit. Instead of the garlic croutons, I just made garlic bread... yum. I will definitely make it again, but maybe with a little less bam! (cayenne pepper), a little less chicken stock, and a little more heavy cream.

Glad it worked out for you, Abbey. It's funny, I like spicy Thai food and I *love* spicy Hunan, but ground cayenne or Tabasco does nothing for me. I know I use just a pinch when I make that soup.

I think last time I made it (waaaaay back a week or two ago ) I used just a quart of chicken broth and one cup of half-and-half. Lots of leeway, I guess, depending on how rich/creamy/mushroomy you want it. Oh, and the oyster mushrooms looked bad so I used king trumpet. But it's just soup - you do what you can!

Yes, it just seemed like something so creamy and wonderful shouldn't have such a bite to it. I love spicy foods as well.. just not in this.

I had a very limited mushroom selection (read: I live in the sticks), so I used button and portobello. I thought the brandy was a nice edition, normally, I would have put dry sherry in a cream soup.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Favorite Vegetable Soup -- 0 pts -- 2 servings

Recipe By :Weight Watchers Smart Start Booklet, 1995
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : lowfat soups
    vegetables Weight Watchers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup onion -- diced
    2 packets instant chicken broth and seasoning mix
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
    1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
    1/2 cup chopped tomato -- seeded
    1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
    1/4 teaspoon basil leaves
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a 1 1/2 quart nonstick saucepan combine onion, broth mix, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.

Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Add 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes).

Using a slotted spoon, remove about 1/2 cup vegetables from saucepan and set aside.

In blender container puree remaining soup in 2 batches; return pureed mixture to saucepan. Add reserved vegetables and heat.

Description:
    "A Weight Watcher "Free Food""
    S(ELF List):
    ""
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 26 Calories; trace Fat (3.3% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 12mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

NOTES : According to Weight Watchers program materials, one serving of this soup counts as a "free food".
    I currently use a 2 cups of FF/low sodium chicken broth (Swanson's or College Inn) instead of the packets and water.
    It is much easier to use a hand-blender directly in the soup rather than transferring it into a blender container and dealing with hot liquid splatters.
    Jane

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0