Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who gets the day off for President's Day?

Who gets the day off for President's Day?

I'm just curious...my DD's private school is closed, including the DAYCARE!!! I was a bit ticked off because I don't get the day off which made me wonder who does? I know that if you work for the gov't you're off, but even a friend of mine who works for a bank has to go to work despite the bank being closed to customers....who else is off today?
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I am (teacher) but apparently contractors are not... they showed up at 7 am and starting banging away!

We're off today (school) and my neighbor who works for a bank is off as well.
    Charisse

My kids would be out, but we're making up one of our weather days from "Ice Storm '07."

DH and I are both working from home.g

Well, I was supposed to work today, but got called at 5:30 and told that I had a low-census day (I'm a hospital RN). So, if I want to get paid for today, I have to take a vacation day . The union is coming soon....

Sorry - I know this was somewhat tangential to your question....
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Our school district is the only one in the county that's open today. Yet strangely enough, the kids go for just 1/2 a day tomorrow.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I'm working today, but it's the first time in 15 years that I've had to work on Presidents' Day....
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

I work for a private employer (Non government, we make LASERS) and we get today off.

For the first time in my career I am off today. But, I feel for those of you who have to work. When I was in the DC area so many people worked for the government that it really s*cked that I had to go to work on all of those days. I will also have Good Friday off which is really weird to me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I'm off from work (I work from home, but the company I work for is closed), but the schools are open. DD is in school. DS is only 4 so no school for him either way. We're going to the mall. He keeps asking if we can go. DH is working today- no holiday for him. DD asked us to "buy something" for her while we're at the store today. Poor kid.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

I work for a state institution and we do not get the day off. Nor do we get off Veteran's Day or Columbus Day. My mother claims our state just doesn't believe in history.

The DH and I are off today[teachers. Infact we have been off since Friday, and we had 2 snow days last week.

I have to work, and so does DH. I'm really mad that our daycare is closed, because they still charge us for today, AND I have to pay for a babysitter all day. :mad: It makes me even more mad because I specifically asked if they were closed on minor holidays when I was first looking into this daycare, and they flat out told me they were only closed on Christmas and Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to mention this to the director tomorrow.

Andrea that is the pits. You send kids to day care because you are working. I would be VERY angry at having to pay double. Talk to the director.

Andrea - That's what is irking me about today. I don't mind having to go to work. I mind that I pay a LOT of $$ for DD to have childcare everyday and they closed it. I was lucky enough to find someone to watch her today, but I completely feel as if I'm imposing and will probably stop to buy a nice floral arrangement as a thank you, so in essence, I'm paying a sitter today too despite the fact that I paid full tuition for the month!!!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

My DH and I are OFF. We don't work for the government.

I'm off- I'm a teacher.

DH works for the fed govt and would have been off but he had to travel today for a meeting tomorrow. He was not happy about traveling on a holiday.
    Cheryl

The boys are off today. DH is not.

I actually got a call to sub from one of the neighboring school districts - they were supposed to be off today, but they are making up a snow day (we will make our snow up on May 4).

Too bad - I could use the money, but I couldn't/didn't want to leave the kiddos alone..........plus I still had company here and they were getting on the road this morning.........

It's a bank holiday, so I'm off! My Mom makes Halloween costumes, and she's off too.

Poor DH is working...

Angela

DBF and I are both off today; I work for a software company and he owns an advertising agency.
    I can't believe so many people have to work! It's a federal holiday. It's Presidents' Day - since when is it not a holiday?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

My kids are in school today, but they had last Friday off . DH is working today.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I'm off - yipee!

Nicholas' school is closed, so he's home with me. I'm not off, but work from home... luckily even with him running around, I managed to get most of my work done already. DH is working too. Our neighbors are all off (hotels, advertising, publishing). My sister and BIL are both off (financial).
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

The public school is closed AND the private preschool. So I have both kids home with me. I work freelance, so I just arranged my scheduled to be off. Dh is working (he works for the hospital and as he told me, sick people don't take days off). The wierd thing? We had trash pick up today. I thought it was a national holiday?
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    The boys are off today. DH is not.

I actually got a call to sub from one of the neighboring school districts - they were supposed to be off today, but they are making up a snow day (we will make our snow up on May 4).
    how many snow days have you had? i've only had 1 but the county has had several but they aren't talking let alone having make up days yet. my nieces go to a catholic school in pittsburgh and they built 0 yes 0 snow days into their schedule so my nieces are in school today and easter monday. those planners should be the ones working!
    Cheryl

Even after posting here this morning, and talking about having school today with a friend of mine, I still went to the bank to deposit a check. And the weird thing is - they were open! It didn't hit me until I got home and DH reminded me that the banks wouldn't be open today.

I'm off.... teacher.

And the best thing about teaching in NY state (or at least New York City) - I'm off all week! Some private schools choose not to take the February break, but I'm VERY glad that mine does!

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    The wierd thing? We had trash pick up today. I thought it was a national holiday?
    We had trash pick-up today too, which I thought was strange as well. DH forgot it was a holiday and put out one can anyway. Good thing.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    DBF and I are both off today; I work for a software company and he owns an advertising agency.
    I can't believe so many people have to work! It's a federal holiday. It's Presidents' Day - since when is it not a holiday?

I'm working today. Interestingly enough, the unions chose to have Martin Luther King Jr. day off, but not this day.
    Springtime is my time of year!

Both DH & I had to work...but no school for the kids and the banks here are open. :mad:
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.