Community Message Boards

Thread: Side dishes to go with pork roast

Side dishes to go with pork roast

Hi,
    I am having a dinner party for 15 on Friday and am making some marinated pork roasts. I would love some help with side dishes. Someone is bringing a salad so I was thinking of potatoes and a green vegetable. The only problem is I would really like things I can pop in the oven ahead of time so I can enjoy their company. I'd like your help if you have time! Thanks.

What kind of marinade will you be using? That might help to guide flavors.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

How about some homemade applesauce, easy to make ahead and serve chilled. Great side for pork. If not applesauce, how about a cranberry relish dish, also served cold. You should try to mix itup with both hot and cold dishes. Good luck

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

How about simple roasted potatoes ( peeled, quartered, and seasoned), sauteed apples, and oven roasted green beans.

Sautéed Apples

From

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    6 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 2 pounds)
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté 6 minutes or until apples are just tender. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar melts.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 137(30% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 17mg; SODIUM 49mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 0.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.7g

Karen A. Levin
    Cooking Light, MARCH 2000

Oven-Roasted Green Beans

From

This easy side dish adds color to the meal, and you can roast it at the last minute while you finish setting the table.

2 pounds green beans, trimmed
    4 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°.
    Place a jelly-roll pan in oven for 10 minutes. Place beans in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Arrange green bean mixture in a single layer on preheated baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 37(39% from fat); FAT 1.6g (sat 0.2g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 196mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.5g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2

Maybe roasted butternut squash and onions.. with thyme? This could be made ahead and reheated. And steamed green beans would be a nice green to add. Maybe an apple chutney for the pork. Mmm. I'm adding this dinner to next weeks shopping list.

I just served pork roast for a 50th anniversary party for my parents...sides were green beans, goat cheese baked grits and baked fruit...it turned out great.

I made these this past weekend and prepared them ahead of time and let them sit for atleast 30 minutes or so before I cooked them, with them being coated well in the oil they don't turn brown and they cook without too much attention at all, I only looked at them briefly while checking on my meat and that was about it, I have made these many times and love the taste and simplicity of the recipe. I also sub half white potatoes with the sweet as well for an added change. I use Tone's Canadian Steak seasoning for the garlic-pepper blend.

Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions

4 medium peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds)
    2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend (such as Lawry's)
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine all ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, tossing to coat. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 247 (19% from fat); FAT 5.1g (sat 0.7g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 3.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 53mg; SODIUM 255mg; FIBER 6.5g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 47.8g

Cooking Light, APRIL 1997

Scalloped potatoes would be easy and tasty as would be asparagus with balsamic-browned butter.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I love cooked apples, fried cabbage, and potatoes with any kind of pork. To me I cannot have pork without atleast 2 of these.

Thanks! A few more side dish questions.

Oh so many good ideas. Thank you and especially those who included the recipes. The pork roast has a lemon/garlic marinade. Does anyone know if the roasted potatoes can be cut up or made ahead of time and reheated? What kind of apples do you like to use for homemade applesauce?

I realaly like this recipe. While it's not as good reheated, you could cook the onions, cut up the bread and mix the liquid ingredients ahead of time then just toss them together to cook at the last minute.

Onion Bread Pudding

1 vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    8 cups cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese, divided
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425°.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion slices (keep slices intact); cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
    Combine milk, salt, thyme, pepper, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the bread cubes and 1/2 cup cheese; toss mixture well. Place the bread mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange onion slices on top of bread mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 425° 25 minutes or until set and golden.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 364(30% from fat); FAT 12.2g (sat 5.7g,mono 3.7g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 19.7g; CHOLESTEROL 136mg; CALCIUM 294mg; SODIUM 806mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.8g
    Cooking Light, JUNE 2003