Community Message Boards

Thread: Green Food ideas?

Green Food ideas?

Hi all! I am new to this board, but you all seem to have such wonderful sounding recipes that I am hoping someone out there will have a good idea for me. We are having a potluck at my office next week and a contest to see who can bring in the best tasting green-colored food. Usually I don't have problems thinking of something to take for our potlucks, but this time I am drawing a complete blank. So, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. My only condition is it has to be easily transported (I take public transportation to and from work). Thanks!

I don't have any specific recipe suggestions but here are some ideas to get you started!

spinach dip
    spinach salad
    guacamole
    tomatillo salsa
    enchiladas verdes
    pasta salad with fresh basil pesto
    mint bar cookies
    key lime pie
    lime bars
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

I saw these muffins on the King Arthur website. I haven't tried them but they look really good.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...=1170947364000

How about Broccoli and Parmesan Casserole from CL Aug 06. I made this recipe at Thanksgiving and it was a big hit.

Broccoli and Parmesan Casserole

Broccoli is one of the best vegetable sources of calcium. Here it's paired with a bchamel sauce thickened with cheese, which boosts the calcium even more. A short boil of the broccoli preserves the bright color for the dish.

8 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 pounds)
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    12 garlic melba toast rounds

Preheat oven to 400.
    Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour, salt, and dry mustard in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add the fat-free milk and chicken broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for 8 minutes or until it is thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add shredded cheddar cheese and 6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in pimientos and pepper. Add broccoli, tossing to coat.

Spoon the broccoli mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Place garlic melba toast rounds in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Combine toast crumbs and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle evenly over broccoli mixture. Spray top of casserole lightly with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 154(30% from fat); FAT 5.1g (sat 3g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 11.9g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; CALCIUM 274mg; SODIUM 415mg; FIBER 3.7g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.6g

Maureen Callahan
    Cooking Light, AUGUST 2006

Welcome to the BB!
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

What about Spinach Madeleine? A search should turn up the recipe.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

How about broccoli soup?

Broccoli Soup

From

"This appetizer soup has been adapted from a recipe in a Junior League cookbook. To make it more healthful, I substituted milk for cream and used less salt. The mace gives it wonderful flavor." -Jane Pekelder, Grand Rapids, MI

6 cups small broccoli florets
    2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    Dash of ground mace

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Place half of broccoli mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour broccoli mixture into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining broccoli mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan.
    Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended; add to broccoli mixture. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring frequently. Add lemon juice, butter, salt, pepper, and mace, stirring until butter melts.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 91(31% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 6.2g; CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 136mg; SODIUM 418mg; FIBER 2.3g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.8g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005

Carmor, what did you end up making? How did it turn out? Who won the office contest and with what? Please update.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

My supper club just picked "green" as our theme for March, so I'm glad to see these ideas!

I haven't decided yet what to make, but our potluck isn't until Thursday so I have a couple days to decide. All of the ideas look so good, it will probably end up depending on how tired I am Wednesday after work. I'll let you know who wins.

This was posted by Linda in MO awhile back. It is super easy and a big hit.

Spinach Artichoke Feta Ball

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce)
    1 box frozen chopped spinach -- (10 ounce) thawed
    and squeezed dry
    1 package feta cheese -- (4 ounce) crumbled
    1 can artichoke hearts -- (4 ounce) chopped
    with hard leaf tips removed (I used a 14 oz. can)
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 package dry ranch salad dressing mix -- (1 ounce) (some omitted and some cut in half)

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, spinach, feta cheese, artichokes, garlic and Ranch dressing mix. Mix together with clean hands until well blended. Form into a ball or log and set on a serving plate. Done!

Source:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach...ll/Detail.aspx

NOTES : SUBMITTED BY: LEOGIRL74 at allrecipes.com
    Original recipe yield: 16 servings

PREP TIME 15 Min
    READY IN 15 Min
    TKay

Bumping this thread since St. Patrick's Day is next week!

I just found out we are having a pot luck at work. I am thinking of the Broccoli casserole or maybe enchiladas verde done with spinach tortillas.

Any other ideas?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

What about a pesto tortellini salad made with spinach tortellini?

TKay, thank you for the spinach etc. ball - it was a big hit at our supper club and I'll definitely make it for my next party. So easy.

For the rest of our "green" themed menu we had:

- Tricolor pasta with chicken and pesto
    - Stuffed peppers
    - Asparagus soup
    - Green salad
    - key lime cookies and bars

And our resident jokester made "Peeps Salad" - a pile of baby spinach leaves surrounded by green Peeps!