Community Message Boards

Thread: How many Real Eggs for 3/4 eggbeaters???

Question How many Real Eggs for 3/4 eggbeaters???

I downloaded the recipe for the Walnut Coffee Cake! I want to bake it, but I don't use egg substitute anymore, I have gone back to real eggs. How many eggs do I use, and can the recipe be cut in half??? What size pan, Please!

Thanks!
    Curleytop

One egg (large/xlarge) is about a quarter cup eggwhites or egg substitute.

One egg white is 2 tablespoons.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

I can't answer the pan-size question, but in case somebody else can, the original calls for a 10-inch bundt pan.

Walnut Coffee Cake

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 14 1/2 ounces)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    10 tablespoon butter, softened
    3/4 cup egg substitute
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups nonfat buttermilk
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.
    Combine brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well combined (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute; beat 3 minutes or until combined. Beat in vanilla.

Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping sides of bowl. Spoon half of batter into a 10-inch Bundt pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle half of brown sugar mixture evenly over batter; spoon remaining half of batter into pan. Top with remaining brown sugar mixture.

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

CALORIES 298 (27% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 4.7g,mono 2.1g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 5.1g; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 68mg; SODIUM 326mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 1.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 50.3g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sharhamm View Post
    Interesting that your link says that 3 eggs is only 1/2 cup! The carton of Egg Beaters says that each 1/4 cup equals 1 large egg so maybe your link isn't using large eggs?

As to the pan size a Kugelhopf (which is about 6 cups and looks like a small Bundt pan) would work just fine. Otherwise I'd use an 8x8-inch square apn.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

When in doubt I just break the eggs into a liquid measuring cup until I have the desired amount. If I go over, I just mix up the eggs and spoon out the excess.