Community Message Boards

Thread: Amazing Hamantaschen

Amazing Hamantaschen

I just made a bathch of these chocolate hamantaschen with this filling and they are wonderful! I used to make them with Nutella and they are to die for but we have nut allergies to deal with now so I serached for a new filling. The dough can be a bit tricky to mix but it is a dream to roll and cut. Like many chocolate cookies, it is hard to tell when they are done, so I definitely recommend using the double cookie sheets and checking early. I have used Crisco in the past and this year I used Spectrum shortening with no difference.

In case you are looking for a more traditional hamantaschen, here's my mom's dough. I'm not sure of the source but we have been making it forever. It is another easy dough to use that you can roll and reroll many times. It will keep in the fridge for a week.

Bubbie Rho's Hamantaschen

3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 1/2 - 4 cups of flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Fruit or poppyseed filling (we prefer Solo)

Mix eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well combined. Add 3 1/2 cups flour and baking powder and mix adding more flour if necessary to form a smooth, firm dough. Roll out on well floured surface and cut with with round cookie cutter or glass. Place a small amound of filling on each circle and pinch edges together to form triangle. Bake on parchment covered baking sheet at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown at the edges.
    Last edited by ssgold; 03-01-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for posting that. I will try your mother's pastry because what I used this year came out OK but was very hard to use. I also couldn't get to the store so I made my own poppy seed filling which came out OK,

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Thanks for posting!
    -Amy-

I LOVE Hamantaschen! I first ran into them at a bakery in Cincinnati! I'm going to try this recipe with Splenda Blend and no-sugar jam, and see if they're any good! Thanks for posting!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Those sound really good. I've never made hamantaschen, but DH loves it so I think I will have to give it a try. He would especially love it with Nutella as a filling, I never thought of doing that!
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

What a coincidence -- I just finished baking a batch of Hamantaschen with DS! I used a recipe from my favorite Jewish cookbook -- Gloria Kaufer Greene's "Jewish Holiday Cooking" -- which is very similar to the "Bubbie Rho" recipe posted here. Yum.

My favorite are prune, and I also always made apricot, using the Solo fillings. I've made them with Nutella in the past, but felt like being a little more traditional this year. I know almost everyone else swears by poppyseed, but I've never quite taken to it.

DS, who is 5, insisted on cutting out the circles and shaping most of the hamantaschen by himself this year -- and he did a pretty good job, I have to say!!

Happy Purim!

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Helene,

When you get a chance, will you post your recipe. I am looking for a new one. I have always made my mothers every year and DH prefers "something else." I just have not found that "something else" yet. I did try the recipe that EW has on their website last weekend and the end result was actually quite good(both dough and filling). The dough, however, was so difficult to work with that I won't repeat it for that reason alone no matter how good they tasted. And I am pretty proficient at working with doughs/pastries etc... I will make the filling in the future, though.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Karen