Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does a container of crumbled blue cheese/gorgonzola last once opened.

How long does a container of crumbled blue cheese/gorgonzola last once opened.

I sometimes buy a container of the crumbled blue cheese/gorgonzola at Trader Joe's. Once I open it (pull off the plastic seal), about how long does it stay refrigerated?

I guess I can do my own experiment -- and when I open it and see a science experiment or the scent knocks me over .... I'll know its garbage, but was hoping to learn an easier way. I am guessing a bit over two weeks.

Thanks,

I have had it happen but have never timed it so I can't help there. Will say though that the smell of Gorgonzola doesn't seem to get stronger just the opposite...or maybe it's my nose. I do know it gets very blue!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I always have a blue cheese container open for using on my salads. I've kept it for weeks.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Longest I've gone is a month. But as long as it's not fuzzy, it's probably OK!
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Is blue cheese supposed to get more pungent and "blue/grey" looking with time? It seems blue cheese never last a long time for me. Of course, it may just be that I want the cheese to last indefinitely and it's not going to do that for me, but I'm still wondering.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I've been wondering about this myself. I bought a 24 oz. tub of Gorgonzola from Costco last week for less than I pay for 8 oz. at the grocery store. So, I figure, if it goes bad before I get it all used up, I'm still money ahead. But like you, I'm not sure I will know when it has gone bad.

I wonder if you can freeze it?

Gorgonzola's life span?

I try to use the crumbled Gorgonzola in a week.
    "When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing...it's not my kitchen." --- Maxine

vancouver Lori - I think you can freeze cheese...its been a long time, but I remember after my wedding (20+ yrs ago) the caterer told my mom to take the big hunks of cheese from a cheese display and freeze them to use later and we did...so maybe you can freeze half of your bargain and go ahead and use the other...

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    Is blue cheese supposed to get more pungent and "blue/grey" looking with time? It seems blue cheese never last a long time for me. Of course, it may just be that I want the cheese to last indefinitely and it's not going to do that for me, but I'm still wondering.

Erin,
    I toss it once it becomes more blue/gray than white with touches of blue/gray.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Newspaper June 2006.

To store blue cheese, wrap it in plastic wrap or wax paper. If the cheese was sold in micro-perforated foil, keep it in the original packaging, which is designed to allow it to breathe. Some manufacturers package it in a plastic tray sealed with a special kind of gas to keep the cheese naturally for about four months. When the mold in blue cheese dies, it turns gray, then brown, and seeps liquid. At that point, it is no longer good.
    Green spots on a wedge are natural, and are not an indicator of bad cheese, Delugeau said.
    So, it looks like it's not so much time related as just to look for the condition of the mold in the cheese. If the mold has turned to gray or brown and seeps liquid, toss it.
    Oh and while looking for this info I also found that the date on the cheese packaging is a "best by" date meaning that the cheese will be at its best flavor and texture on or around that date. Not really a safety date, but a best quality date.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Erin,
    I toss it once it becomes more blue/gray than white with touches of blue/gray.
    That's what I've been doing, but more because it doesn't "look good" than anything. Good to know someone else does the same thing! I'm probably not wasting good food!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."