Community Message Boards

Thread: Regarding shredded carrots for baking...

Regarding shredded carrots for baking...

Hello all.
    I would like to try a few of the muffin recipes as posted that require shredded carrots. I currently have no whole carrots in my fridge, but I do have a bag of shredded carrots (thinner than julienne strips). If I give these a whirl in the food processor, would they be an okay substitute?
    Have any of you used bagged, shredded carrots successfully in baked goods?
    What is your method for shredding whole carrots?

thanks,
    mishquilt
    A Simple Life Is Its Own Greatest Reward

www.heyjeetyet.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mishquilt View Post
    Hello all.
    I would like to try a few of the muffin recipes as posted that require shredded carrots. I currently have no whole carrots in my fridge, but I do have a bag of shredded carrots (thinner than julienne strips). If I give these a whirl in the food processor, would they be an okay substitute?
    Have any of you used bagged, shredded carrots successfully in baked goods?
    What is your method for shredding whole carrots?

thanks,
    mishquilt

I would be careful using the bagged, shredded carrots. Some people have had issues with them turning green in baked goods (not sure why). If you dod try them, I would definitely shred them finer in the food processor to get them to a better consistency for baking. For shredding whole carrots, I either use a box grater or my food processor, depending on how many carrots I have to grate.

I also find the bagged shredded carrots to be very firm and dry. Great for salads but hard to soften enough during baking. The last thing you want is a crunch of carrot in your muffin.

Shredding whole ones yourself either on a box grater, microplane or FP gives a soft carrot with "juice" that blends well and results in moist baked cakes/muffins. I can see why you wouldn't want to risk your knuckles shredding carrots manually, though, plus it's a lot of work.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I vote for using the carrots that you have. If they seem dry, you might give them a quick whirl in the food processor, mix with a little liquid, such as water or orange juice, and stick them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. As for carrots turning "green", I've seen that in my carrot cakes made with carrots that I grated in the fp too. Don't know what causes it but it doesn't hurt anything.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I usually shred whole carrots for my carrot cake but the other day all I had was the bagged. I put them in the food processor to chop them up a bit more and they worked out just fine in the cake, no green or crunchy pieces.
    Marie

-- The future is no place to place your better days