Community Message Boards

Thread: Bread Baking Class at Zingerman's

Bread Baking Class at Zingerman's

From their latest newsletter:

BAKE! hands-on teaching bakery at Zingerman's Bakehouse can help you find a stand-out gift for someone special, or a unique summer getaway – How about a BAKE-cation?!

This four-day bread-baking package, July 9-12, 2007 at Zingerman's Bakehouse in Ann Arbor, is a fun, informative way for food lovers to indulge their inner-bakers. Participants leave with over 50 loaves of bread and from 12 great recipes they learned from owners Frank Carollo and Amy Emberling and other experienced Bakehouse bakers.

“BAKE! is the School of Hard Knocks, without the pain, humiliation and pressure that typically accompany a restaurant apprenticeship,” explained Ann Arbor News food writer, Nan Bauer. “You work side by side with superb teachers while you're up to your elbows in ingredients. The class was fun.”

Students spend 8am-5 pm Monday through Thursday baking and learning the theories behind different styles of bread: chemically leavened, straight doughs, liquid sponges and finally sourdoughs, with a break for lunch each day provided by Zingerman's. Besides lots of practice mixing, shaping and baking bread, BAKE-cationers discover how to choose ingredients, the historical background of the breads and how to organize their baking for consistent success.

“The school is unusual in that it is so specialized – focusing entirely on baking” noted Detroit Free Press food writer, Sylvia Rector, “– and yet is geared to nonprofessional, everyday folks.”

While in Ann Arbor for their BAKE-cation, participants will find no shortage of other fun and interesting happenings in the area. Ann Arbor Summer Festival, featuring myriad performances and free events, wraps up July 8. On July 13, the 11th Annual “Rolling Sculpture Car Show” features exotic, antique, classic, concept cars in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor. ElvisFest takes over Frog Island Park in neighboring Ypsilanti July 13 and 14. For more information about Ann Arbor area activities and accommodations, check out www.annarbor.org.

This bread-baking BAKE-cation is July 9-12, 2007 at Zingerman's Bakehouse, 3711 in Ann Arbor. Cost is $1000 and limited spaces are available. For a complete BAKE! class schedule and registration visit www.zingermansbakehouse.com or call 734-761-7255.

Goodness gracious I was all ready to reserve my spot but I don't have a spare 1000 for that class, I guess I will save up for next year.

Yeah, that price tag dampened my original enthusiasm!

I splurged and took their cookie class - all about the professional touch on a sugar cookie. It was phenomenal as I would expect nothing less with Zingerman's. I am a Zingerman's groupie More the business philosophy end of things but of course their food is always excellent.

Anyway, my cookies now look like the professional ones sold at high end bakeries. Well - getting there but pretty close.

They have a cake class that is currently not on the schedule but is my next to do there. The folks there say their kids classes are the ones that are doing amazingly well.

C