Community Message Boards

Thread: Where to get "wide prints" developed?

Question Where to get "wide prints" developed?

On our recent trip, I took mostly wide angle shots, so the prints are not standard sizes. In going to the various sites for printing photos (Shutterfly, Costco, Walgreen's, etc), not one offers wide prints. Standard prints just cut off too much of my scenery. Is this something I just need to take the memory card into a local store for? Or does anyone have any online sources? I have a photo printer, but I'd rather have them done elsewhere.

What size are you after? Like panaorama shots, 8x10s?

Try www.ritzpix.com

Otherwise, I have no idea!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Try to find a professional photography place in your area: someone who caters to the trade, not to the home photographer. If you can't, then PM me & I'll give you the info for the place I use; if your pix are digital, then maybe you can work thru e-mail & snail mail with this place.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Liss View Post
    What size are you after? Like panaorama shots, 8x10s?
    I don't know the exact size, but they are not the scale of a standard 4 x 6 - more like a panorama. It would compare to a widescreen movie vs. a full frame standard.

Here's an example

Terri - I've been to that site too, but they don't do them online. I'll just have to visit a store, I think.
    Last edited by funnybone; 03-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.

My suggestion would be to get it printed on a large size regular photo and crop it yourself. I use:

www.snapfish.com and www.myphotoalbum.com regularly and they're both reliable and have very compeditive rates - you often get free prints when you first join too. This seems to be the only panorama style that would suit directly Photocards

also worth a look is www.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Liss View Post
    My suggestion would be to get it printed on a large size regular photo and crop it yourself.
    The problem is that those sites cut the sides of the picture off and don't allow me to get the whole shot in. I don't want it cropped down to the standard dimensions. Even a 5x7 or 8x10 keeps the proportions of the standard size. I don't think I have checked snapfish though.

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone View Post
    The problem is that those sites cut the sides of the picture off and don't allow me to get the whole shot in. I don't want it cropped down to the standard dimensions. Even a 5x7 or 8x10 keeps the proportions of the standard size. I don't think I have checked snapfish though.
    I see. This might be too much of a fuss but could you add a white border to the top and bottom so that it fits in the 8x10 and then upload the file? This would mean the picture wouldn't get stretched in their program.

I print mine at home on roll paper. If you have a nice photo printer, you might be able to do the same. I have an Epson 1800 and 1280, both of which will print on rolls that are 4" wide and super long. Then you just cut between the photos. Hopefully that makes sense!

Otherwise, you can take them into a photo editing program such as Photoshop Elements. Set up a new blank white canvas that is 5x7 or 8x10. Open up your photo, then use the move tool to drop it onto your new canvas. You should be able to fit at least 2 or 3 if you use an 8x10. Save the entire file as a jpeg (flattened) and upload that or burn it to a CD or save it on your camera's memory card and take it to the photo developer. Or simply print at home.

If you don't already have one, I'd highly recommend a photo / paper trimmer that you can find in the scrapbook section at a craft store or Target. This is my favorite:

Maybe try Mpix.com? They advertise themselves as an online image printing source for professionals and advanced amateurs. The quality of their pics is great (better than Shutterfly, Kodak Gallery and Snapfish, IMO) but I'm not sure if they can print the size you need.

Here's an online source to order them:

http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/pro...?Type=Panorama

I'm pretty sure Target does panoramic prints still. And you can upload on their site, but I don't have anything to upload to test if you can chose panoramic prints online. May be worth a try though.

Wherever you went looks lovely though!

Thanks everyone. I have a few stores around I will go to and see what they can do. I don't know why cameras give you these print options and then it's hard to get them printed.

juliew - that picture was taken in Bora Bora (we were on a cruise of Tahiti and the Society Islands). The scenery was just stunning!

I had this problem initially with my scrapbook pages that are 12 x 12. What I do now is in photoshop make my canvas size the printing size (12 x 18 I think) and then center my photo. That way the saved jpeg is the correct size of the printing paper and then I crop it myself. If not, they will stretch the photo to fit. Also, sometimes I will add in some smaller photos on the white space that would have been wasted.

You may be able to do this with other graphic editing software if you don't have photoshop.