Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better for you- PB or Nutella?

Which is better for you- PB or Nutella?

I like Adams natural PB which has:
    16g fat (2.5 sat fat)
    0g chol
    120mg sodium
    6g Total carb
    2g fiber
    8g protein

I LOVE Nutella which has:
    11g fat (2g sat fat)
    0g chol
    15mg sodium
    23g Total carb
    2g fiber
    20g sugars
    2g protein

The PB has more sodium but also more protein but is higher in fat - Is one healthier than the other (assuming you are not on a low-sodium diet)?

I would say the peanut butter as there isn't any partially hydrogenated oil in it. I know that Nutella has it and that combined with the high amount of sugar and low amount of protein would make the pb much healthier, even with a higher overall amount of fat. Oh, and since I pour off about half of the oil when I buy natural that lowers the fat amount a bit.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

i don't really know the answer for sure but check out the carb comparison--i'd say PB....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I would say the peanut butter as there isn't any partially hydrogenated oil in it. I know that Nutella has it and that combined with the high amount of sugar and low amount of protein would make the pb much healthier, even with a higher overall amount of fat. Oh, and since I pour off about half of the oil when I buy natural that lowers the fat amount a bit.
    Interesting that you mention this--I have been thinking about switching to natural PB but I have always been icked out by all that oil and wondered what you were sposed to do with it--mix it back in? So it tastes just fine pouring it off?
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

PB for sure ... nutella has lots of empty calories from sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    Interesting that you mention this--I have been thinking about switching to natural PB but I have always been icked out by all that oil and wondered what you were sposed to do with it--mix it back in? So it tastes just fine pouring it off?
    I always pour some oil off and then mix in the rest. I recently (like in the last 6 months...duh!!) figured out that if you store the PB in the fridge after the first, initial mixing, you don't have to deal with the seperated oil each time. I don't like Jiff/Skippy etc because they taste too sweet to me but dh doesn't like the natural so we are a two PB household.

ETA: If you pour off ALL the oil the top 1/3 of the jar will be fine but the consistency of the rest of the jar will be pretty firm and nearly impossible to spread on bread - at least that has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    I always pour some oil off and then mix in the rest. I recently (like in the last 6 months...duh!!) figured out that if you store the PB in the fridge after the first, initial mixing, you don't have to deal with the seperated oil each time. I don't like Jiff/Skippy etc because they taste too sweet to me but dh doesn't like the natural so we are a two PB household.
    When it comes to plain PB I confess I like the sweet--but I have been using it in baking a lot lately and thinking that natural would be much better for that.....
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Yeah, I mix the second half of the oil in. I don't think pouring it off affects the taste, more the texture. I don't buy natural often, especially this time of year because I make so many pb&j sandwiches for skiing that I go through small jars to fast.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I haven't had Nutella in almost 3 years because I keep telling myself that the stuff they sell here in the US tastes different than the original from Italy

I love Nutella though - on some fresh bread or as a filling for crepes.... YUM!

I have cashew butter,
    peanut butter,
    soynut butter and
    chocolate soynut butter (similar to nutella but no hazelnuts--possible allergy :mad: )

I mix it up so I get a wide variety of nutrients.
    I keep the chocolate stuff on hand for times when I want something chocolate-y sweet and semi nutritious
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would say that Nutella isn't healthy at all, it has hydrogenated oils, powdered milk (which I have done some reading on and is very bad for you due to it's highly processed nature and some other factors), high sugar and no real nutritional value.

PB if you use the all natural kind is high in fat, but my view is that it is a healthy kind of fat. The big scare on saturated fats in my opinion (and certain scientist I read, check out Weston A. Price Foundation, they have many articles and scientific data to back up their claims) is a big false myth. Your body needs those healthy saturated fats and certain animal based fats to properly work. There really is no correlation between cholesterol intake via diet and heart attacks, other than the one falsely pushed by the diet dictocrats to sell drugs like Lipitor, etc.

This is my opinion based on things I have read and believe, not medical advice, but I would pick PB over Nutella any day!!!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Lrimerman View Post
    I would say that Nutella isn't healthy at all, it has hydrogenated oils, powdered milk (which I have done some reading on and is very bad for you due to it's highly processed nature and some other factors), high sugar and no real nutritional value.

PB if you use the all natural kind is high in fat, but my view is that it is a healthy kind of fat. The big scare on saturated fats in my opinion (and certain scientist I read, check out Weston A. Price Foundation, they have many articles and scientific data to back up their claims) is a big false myth. Your body needs those healthy saturated fats and certain animal based fats to properly work. There really is no correlation between cholesterol intake via diet and heart attacks, other than the one falsely pushed by the diet dictocrats to sell drugs like Lipitor, etc.

This is my opinion based on things I have read and believe, not medical advice, but I would pick PB over Nutella any day!!!

Lisa
    Do you realize one of their main goals is the banning of soy formula for infants? There is nothing inherently natural about the consumption of cow milk... many peoples have genetically adapted to it and now it is source of nutrition for them, but there are entire cultures of people who are lactose intolerant. What on earth do they want to feed infants whose moms cannot breast feed and who cannot digest cow milk?
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    When it comes to plain PB I confess I like the sweet--but I have been using it in baking a lot lately and thinking that natural would be much better for that.....
    I believe Cook's Illustrated liked regular ole Skippy best for baking.

Quote Originally Posted by stacy7272 View Post
    really? Probably was BC of all of that extra sugar! I am a JIF person myself, I think my mom thought Skippy had too much sugar or something, so that is what I am used to. Huh... well.... I guess I will have to ruminate on this and try a few different things.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

I can't eat the sweet stuff, but I can see why you might use it in baking because of the difference in the amount of oil and the texture. Some recipes do say "do not use natural" because I guess it can separate when heated. I use it anyhow.
    Can't imagine considering Nutella a nutritious snack.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I think with the protein that PB is the better choice but, of course, I LOVE nutella so I would never give it up!

You know what they say...everything in moderation (with a couple of exceptions)...enjoy them both!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stacy7272

really? Probably was BC of all of that extra sugar! I am a JIF person myself, I think my mom thought Skippy had too much sugar or something, so that is what I am used to. Huh... well.... I guess I will have to ruminate on this and try a few different things.
    I think it's the sugar and the emulsifiers that they put in regular peanut butter. All I know is that I've seen several recipes that specify regular (not natural) PB and warn against using natural PB. Of course, I've never been daring enough to use natural.

It's unclear to me which is heatlhiest so I just eat both. Often.
    Actually, I'm a pb nut. Jif is my choice.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    I have cashew butter,
    peanut butter,
    soynut butter and
    chocolate soynut butter (similar to nutella but no hazelnuts--possible allergy :mad: )

I mix it up so I get a wide variety of nutrients.
    I keep the chocolate stuff on hand for times when I want something chocolate-y sweet and semi nutritious
    I have all those, and also:
    chocolate PB
    cinnamon-raisin PB
    vanilla-cranberry PB
    honey almond butter
    white chocolate PB

I love all the different flavors so I can mix and match them with breads, muffins, etc. I love the white chocolate PB on gingerbread and the chocolate PB or chocolate soynut butter on PB muffins. Yum!

To answer the original question, the PB has a lot more protein and probably less sugar, too. I think the PB would stay with you longer also.

Kari

When I read the title, I thought this thread was a joke. It never once occurred to me that Nutella might even have a hint of nutritional value. It's a sugary dessert, plain and simple. It's a splurge. I view PB as a great source of energy. It's high in calories, and I probably eat it too often, but I consider it to be something good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleancutie View Post

I love Nutella though - on some fresh bread or as a filling for crepes.... YUM!
    Nutella in a crepe...ooohh...yummm...

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    When I read the title, I thought this thread was a joke. It never once occurred to me that Nutella might even have a hint of nutritional value. It's a sugary dessert, plain and simple. It's a splurge. I view PB as a great source of energy. It's high in calories, and I probably eat it too often, but I consider it to be something good for you.
    My thoughts exactly.

Peanut butter (especially natural) and nut butters in general are a good source of healthy fats and taste great.

From the National Peanut Board:

"Peanuts are a good source of unsaturated fats. In fact, they are 85 percent unsaturated by content and are cholesterol free. Peanuts do not contain trans fat and have 52 percent monosaturated and 33 percent polyunsaturated fat content.

The fat in peanuts is needed to help maintain our immune system with a natural anti-inflammatory function to fight disease and infection. And unsaturated fat is a component of cell membranes, called phospholipids, needed for cell growth and daily repair in most of our body's cells.

Peanut Butter is a good and flavorful source of protein. Protein provides energy, and peanuts meet 12 percent of the recommended daily allowance for a one ounce or two teaspoon portion eaten daily. In addition, the essential fat in peanuts is a needed source of daily energy as secondary backup to carbohydrate energy.

This makes peanuts and peanut products key ingredients for center of the plate, as well as small plate offerings. It also serves as a plant-based protein option for those who seek vegetarian cuisine.

Peanuts are also a source of fiber, providing two grams of fiber per two tablespoon serving. Fiber is not only helpful for gastrointestinal health, but also helps to provide satiety and fulllness longer. This is good for everyone, especially those working to control their weight."

Nutella? Give me a break. NOT nutritious.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Can't imagine considering Nutella a nutritious snack.
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I always thought of Nutella as something similar to jarred hot fudge sauce. The only reason I posted this was because Giada "always" talks about how Nutella is the Italian PB and how she grew up on Nutella and bread etc. Like I said, I thought it was similar to hot fudge and would never have thought giving it to my kids (or eating it myself) would be like eating PB. I decided to look up the nutritional info and thought it actually didn't look that bad.....

That said, DH and I really enjoyed the crepes I made last night with banana and Nutella inside yummmmmmmmy!!

Quote Originally Posted by cumulus View Post

Nutella? Give me a break. NOT nutritious.
    Gee, sorry I asked!

Ahhh....if only we could all eat as much Nutella as Giada & still have her figure!!

I was surprised when you posted the carbs/etc side by side. But, I've learned to look at the ingredients just as closely as the grams listings. Have you noticed that ever since the govt required vendors to list 'trans fats' that absolutely no product has trans fats!? It's amazing. I ignore that grams listing and focus on whether or not hygrogenated oils are in the ingredients.

Anything is okay in moderation IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    I decided to look up the nutritional info and thought it actually didn't look that bad.....
    The nutritional info can be used to count carbs or calories or grams of fiber, but I would not use it to decide how nutritious something is. There are so many more aspects to the "nutrition" of a food, and the few isolated measurements of the conventional nutritional info don't begin to give the complete picture. My vote on your question is for peanut butter.

Speaking of Peanut Butter...

I have tried several varieties of the natural peanut butter. Much like other posters, my family is divided and I hesitate to buy several. I recently started using Peapod --this is a grocery delivery service provided by Stop and Shop (I'm not sure if its limited to the northeast). They continue to send me great coupons/discounts so, during a hectic week, I will enjoy the luxury of delivered groceries. Recently, I was placing my online order and decided to check out their sales (they also accept mfg. coupons). Stop and Shop has their own line of "naturals" and the PB was on sale. So, I purchased a jar. I was quite pleased with the taste and although I had to stir the oil vigorously to combine, I immediately refrigerated it and it has not needed stirring since (and needless to say, it's already gone). I used it for sandwiches and for EK recipe for Chicken Satay (she spells it SATE) with Spicy Peanut diping sauce.
    I would recommend this brand as a savings for those who usually purchase the pricier brands of naturals. I will be purchasing this one again.
    In addition, here's my plea to my friends in the northeast: I LOVE to shop at Wild by Nature but unfortunately, the closest one to me is about thirty miles away. While shopping at WBN, I purchased a shelf-stable natural-creamy peanut butter (with no stirring required) by Mara Natha. My kids loved it and so do I. It is slightly sweet but not overly sweet. I have tried Waldbaums (which carries that brand but only carries the cashew and almond butter varieties), King Kullen and our local Mom and Pop shops--to no avail. Does anyone know where I can purchase Mara Natha PB--I was hoping one of the big grocery giants would carry it??????????

TIA

Mishquilt
    A Simple Life Is Its Own Greatest Reward

www.heyjeetyet.blogspot.com

I think we've got the consensus, but I'm also going to add my vote for PB...I'm guessing the nutella has way more sat fat than the PB does.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    I think we've got the consensus, but I'm also going to add my vote for PB...I'm guessing the nutella has way more sat fat than the PB does.
    Actually the PB that I like had .5g more sat fat than the Nutella.