Community Message Boards

Thread: substitute for sake in recipe?

substitute for sake in recipe?

I want to make the Panko Wasabi Porkchops but I do not want to buy a bottle of sake only to use 2 tbs and have the rest of the bottle sit in the fridge forever. I just threw one out from who knows when...

I don't like sake enough to drink it. Same goes for Dry Sherry.

Any suggestions?

Here's what I found at Cook's Theseaurus: http://www.foodsubs.com/

sake = sak = saki = rice wine Pronunciation: SAH-kee Notes: This is a Japanese rice wine, or more correctly, beer. It's usually served warm in tiny porcelain cups, but some trendy American restaurants served it chilled like white wine. Sake doesn't age well in the bottle and should be consumed within a year of bottling. Substitutes: Shaoxing wine (not as smooth and sweet) OR vermouth (dry) OR white wine OR sherry (dry)
    Miche

I almost always have a bottle of white wine open, and typically sub that. I've never had a problem

ETA: I've used a pinot gris, a chardonnay (that wasn't oak-y), and a pinot grigio.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

I have Pinot Grigio at home. I'll try that.

I just made this recipe yesterday and posted about it on my blog, as the recipe header states, if you do not have sake or sherry, then substitute with chicken broth, I did that and had no problem with the recipe, although in the future I plan to use the sake or sherry if at all possible.

I was able to find a very small bottle of Gekkeikan Sake at my liquor store. Its only 180 ml (6 ounces), and I figure I could probably use that much in 6 months (my unprofessional opinion on how long it should last in the fridge).

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in KC View Post
    I was able to find a very small bottle of Gekkeikan Sake at my liquor store. Its only 180 ml (6 ounces), and I figure I could probably use that much in 6 months (my unprofessional opinion on how long it should last in the fridge).

Oooh I'll look for those. Sometimes I'll buy those 4 packs of Sutter Home or Bella Sera wine to cook with. I didn't know there was a sake equivalent.

Can I use beer as a substitute?

I use sherry

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I want to make the Panko Wasabi Porkchops but I do not want to buy a bottle of sake only to use 2 tbs and have the rest of the bottle sit in the fridge forever. I just threw one out from who knows when...

I don't like sake enough to drink it. Same goes for Dry Sherry.

Any suggestions?

A different cuisine perhaps.

As others have posted, dry sherry is the best substitute.

A year is a fairly long period of time in the scheme of things especially since you can sub the other way as well in terms of using sake as a sub for sherry. I almost always add some sherry to any kind of marinade or stir fry even if the recipe doesn't specify so even though I use copious quantities each time I cook, the 2 to 4 tablespoons add up if one cooks with any degree of frequency.

The sake that we drank in Japan, the year we lived there....was not a beer. I would sub a white wine for it.