Community Message Boards

Thread: what side dish goes with pork chops?

Cool what side dish goes with pork chops?

Hi everyone,

I am using my wife's login to request for advise on a side dish for my dinner tonight.

I am making her smoked pork loin chops with a port wine dried cherry sauce. Unfortunately, I am at a loss on what side dish would work with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

Last time I made pork chops, I threw together some crockpot applesauce.

My usual side dishes with pork chops are cole slaw, applesauce, asparagus or fruit/waldorf salad. Green beans would probably work, too, but I don't eat them, so I never fix them...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Wild rice pilaf?
    green beans?
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Mmm.....gorgonzola polenta works nicely with pork and I think it would work with the sauce too.

Or mashed potatoes. Or roasted potatoes.

As for a veggie (I don't count potatoes as a veggie for some reason - they go under the starch category with rice and pasta) - maybe roasted green beans or asparagus?

Lots of things go with pork!

I loved baked yams or sweet potatoes with pork chops.

I've done oven roasted sweet potato wedges that's awesome and easy. Cut the sweet potato into wedges (like jo-jo's), and cut an onion into lengthwise wedges. Some crushed garlic is good too. Toss these around in some olive oil and throw them on a baking sheet in a 375 degree oven. Keep tossing for about 30 minutes, sprinkle on some balsamic vinegar somewhere along the way, and some kosher salt. You won't believe how good the house smells (and how good these taste!).

Plus this sounds pretty good with the dish you describe. Of course some folks don't like sweet potatoes. I also like butternut or acorn squash with pork chops.

CL's Roasted Cauliflower, garlic mashed potatoes, or chunky crock-pot applesauce are all favorites around here.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Greens and cruciferous vegies (such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts) also go well with pork if you like them. Sounds like you are looking for something a bit special, but for future reference, if you need something quick, frozen peas (along with a fruit salad) are very good also.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I also like butternut or acorn squash with pork chops.
    I'm making the spinach/sundried tomtoto/feta cheese stuffed pork chop recipe from April CL tonight and serving it with roasted acron squash. Not exactly a spring dinner, but hey, I have a squash on hand!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

mashed potatoes and a salad. yum... sounds good.

I made pork chops last Saturday, but in a shallot-mustard sauce, so different flavor profile. I served roasted potatoes with garlic, rosemary, and chives; sautéed chard with red pepper flakes and toasted pine nuts, and roasted asparagus with balsamic glaze. I also love whipped chipotle yams with pork chops and garlicky green beans, but again, not sure how that would work with your sauce. It sounds very flavorful, so the cauliflower sounds good to me. And polenta - nice idea, Alysha!

Lots of good ideas here; hope you find something you can work with!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

braised red cabbage
    You can call me Carrie.

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks everyone! These are great ideas!

I think I will go simple and roast sweet potato wedges with Italian seasoned breadcrumps (with a few additional seasonings) .

i love making mashed potatoes and peas with pork chops (and i usually mix them together on my plate because i'm weird like that)

Side dishes for smoked pork chops

Having grilled smoked pork chops tonight for the family.Sweet corn that is now in season in Florida.Mashed potatoes and pork gravy.Garlic toast heavy bodied red wine.That should do it !Will use the left overs(if any) for open faced hot pork sandwich in the next day ot two.