Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! I'm in charge of a bake sale

Help! I'm in charge of a bake sale

And I have no idea what to do. If any of you can send me tips on organizing this, I would really appreciate it. Also, I don't know anything about pricing. For instance, how much does one brownie go for? How about one big cookie? How about a slice of cake? Should I assign people what to bring or let them decide themselves. I think I will have enough volunteers to bake so that's a start. I just don't know what to do with them! Thanks!!!

When we do bake sale here, we have the bakers package in single servings if they can. Or package 4 or 6 servings together. The bakers bring whatever they want. As far as pricing, we always do free will donation.

Here's an article I though was really informative. I especially liked the idea to have dietary information, such as whether the product contains nuts and what kind of nuts.

I don't think I would put any nutritional information. I think you would be opening yourself up for problems if something ended up containing trace amounts. I think anyone with a nut allergy knows enough to stay away from a bake sale. I'd hate to give anyone a false sense of security. Reminds me of the time I assured another mom that my grasshopper ice cream mint pie contained no nuts. Until I remembered that my son had stuck a peanut butter knife into the marshmallow fluff that was part of the recipe. Everyone was fine, but imagine the damage I could have done!!! I still cringe when I think of it.

Bake sales I've done. While I would put most things as single serve, if you have lots and lots of one kind of thing--like brownies, package some of them up and sell as a bunch. We would often sell them in that type of set up.

Pricing. In direct relation to how appetizing the item looks and how much stuff you have. We had a bake sale a few years ago that literally was WAAAYY more food than we could hope to sell to the crowd we had. We ended up putting things out at rock bottom prices to clear it out. We also did a lot of buy one, get one free. Don't be afraid to lower prices as the day goes on. Better to sell a cookie at 5 cents, than to throw it away and make nothing.

Ask people to make things within certain parameters. Have a few people make cookies and brownies and then tell people what other items you'd like. Give people ideas. Pies, biscotti, loaves of bread--things that people wouldn't automatically think of. Also, depending on time of year. If it's right before say, Memorial Day weekend---ask for some desserts that would be good for a cookout, etc. Don't forget homemade candy. If someone has a great recipe for a homemade candy, encourage them to make it.

Put out a few choice items as samples. When you show up, bring some inexpensive plastic trays, etc. to make the inevitable store bought contributions look better.

Sell or give away coffee, at least in the morning. A good cup of coffee and a pastry? Nothing better. Have water or small cartons of milk for sale--depending on where you are doing this. I'm thinking of a school-type event where there will be lots of thirsty kids. Probably wouldn't work at other venues though.

If you have a bazillion of say, those store bought frosted cupcakes--have a "lucky cupcake" promotion. Put a small sticker at the bottom of one of them and the winner (kids are always they one that buy the cupcakes) they win something.....another baked good, usually.

Above all, have fun and don't take it too seriously! Keep in mind that every single parent will pay for their 25 cent item with a $20. It's the ATM world we live in.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

I'm a law student and I organize bake sales for our student organizations all the time. We typically only sell things in single servings (because that's convenient for students). If this is at a church or something where people can take a whole pie home to their family, that may work as well.

DEFINATELY SELL COFFEE. We typically do the price by donation, but request at least $1 per item (even the coffee, which works out to be a good money maker). I think by requesting donations, you often get more than simply assigning a price.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tonir View Post
    I think by requesting donations, you often get more than simply assigning a price.

Good luck!
    This is definitely true.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

This is purely a logistical issue, but I wouldn't price anything that doesn't end in $.00. Change is a PAIN, it always runs out, and it's heavy to carry it all to the bakesale site!

If there's a way to do it - and I defer to the Bake Sale Gods/Goddesses - it's always nice to have an array of flavors, too, so that it's not all chocolate, all spice cookies, all oatmeal cookies, etc.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com