Community Message Boards

Thread: Do You Mail Tax Returns Regular Mail - Or Registered OR Certified OR Some Other Way?

Do You Mail Tax Returns Regular Mail - Or Registered OR Certified OR Some Other Way?

Do you use regular mail for your tax returns? I'm just afraid that they will be lost, so I feel the need to mail them some special way (certified or registered). But, is this crazy? I'm sure most of them just get dropped in the mail and make it to the IRS just fine. What do you do?

I have a government tax office a few minutes' walk from my workplace, so I go for a short walk one day at lunchtime and just drop it off in a huge (secure) box.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Our accountant always advises to mail them certified with "return receipt requested" so you have proof they received them. It only takes a few minutes to do it that way and I think it just costs a couple of dollars...

I mail mine certified with return receipt. This year it cost around $5.60 and is worth it to me for the peace of mind of knowing for sure that they actually made it to Atlanta!
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

The majority of our clients, individual as opposed to corporate, opt to have us e-file now.

Bob

i e-file mine. i like getting the confirmation of receipt nearly instantly. (oh, and i so rarely actually have a good ink cartridge in my printer that half the time i literally can't mail them in )
    - Josie

Another "certified, return receipt" here. Certainly worth the few $$ for the piece of mind.

(Always mailed my mortgage payments the same way, too. Amazing how many times those receipts were needed to prove the payments had been mailed out, and in plenty of time, to avoid a late charge, too. Mailing to a PO box without a specific person named always makes me nervous...)
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

This year was the first "certified" mailing. Thanks to my neighbor's return getting lost last year!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We e-file now, but before that was available, we sent them with proof of delivery only if we were submitting a payment. If ou don't owe, the IRS doesn't care if the taxes are late. Never had a problem (here or in Canada).

As for mortgage payments, we have auto withdrawl - there is never any question about late payments that way.

I efile. BEfore efile, I just sent them regular mail. But I love that I can file and have my refund within 2 weeks!
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone View Post
    As for mortgage payments, we have auto withdrawl - there is never any question about late payments that way.
    Our motgage has been paid off for a long time now, way before e-banking was ever dreamed up.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

My accountant does the efile thing and I mail in the check -- I am always much happier to PAY taxes than receive a refund -- know I am in the minority but a refund just means that the government had the use of my money for a year.

I have never had any problems with a lost refund in 40 years of filing and truthfully if one actually did file and it was lost in the mail (highly unlikely) there wouldn't be any real life repercussions.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

There is something you can get for 95 cents, proof of mailing. that is what we do. If it gets lost, you are still going to have to replace the document, so, all you need is the proof that you mailed it.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    I am always much happier to PAY taxes than receive a refund -- know I am in the minority but a refund just means that the government had the use of my money for a year.
    I agree with this in principle, but it is always nice to get a little extra boost... our accountant actually apologized last year, because we got a refund!

By the time we send ours in this year, no one else's tax return will be in the mail... we need an extension!

I just usually mail it regular mail, but we keep a copy of EVERYTHING!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

We've efiled the last several years. Prior to that I always just used the envelope provided by the fed or state to mail it, no extras.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I efile. If you owe taxes, you can also have the amount automatically withdrawn from your bank account so that you don't have to mail a check. I efile my return when it is done, and just sent up the payment to be withdrawn on the 15th (or, this year, the 17th -- I am not giving them my money a single day earlier than I have to!).
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I have always done my own taxes in the past and always sent it regular mail and never thought of sending it any other way. This year I had H & R Block do my taxes and I chose the e-file with a check sent to me and received it yesterday. I had my taxes done in March, about 4 weeks ago.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

We e-file. It's the fastest, easiest, and safest way.