Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Smoked Salt???

Substitute for Smoked Salt???

I'd like to make this soup this week but it uses smoked sea salt which I don't have. What do you think would be a good substitute for the smoky flavor? I have liquid smoke and chipotles (both in adobo and powdered).

BRYANNA’S SMOKIN’ PEAS, BEANS, BARLEY AND GREENS SOUP (A Weight Watchers Core plan recipe)

From the Vegan Feast Kitchen website (cookbook author Bryanna Clark Grogan) - http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/index.html

Serves 6

6 cups vegetarian broth
    2 medium onions, minced
    3 ribs celery, with leaves, chopped
    1/2 cup dried green or yellow split peas, rinsed
    1/4 cup black-eyed peas, rinsed
    1/4 cup pearl or pot barley
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups chopped greens of any kind (chard, rapini, Chinese broccoli, collards, kale, mustard greens, etc.)
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1/2 tsp. of smoked sea salt
    freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Mix the broth, celery, onions, split peas, black-eyed peas, barley, and bay leaf in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down, cover, and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Add the greens, carrots, basil, and thyme. Simmer about 1/2 an hour longer, or until the carrots are tender. Add the smoked salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.

Serve hot.

Nutrition (per serving): 155.8 calories; 4% calories from fat; 0.9g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 49.6mg sodium; 606.3mg potassium; 30.8g carbohydrates; 8.5g fiber; 4.3g sugar; 22.3g net carbs; 8.4g protein; 2.4 points.

Enjoy!

I'd go with the liquid smoke maybe about 1/8 tsp.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks sneezles. I'll try the liquid smoke. I was just considering some pink salt at the health food store but I've never even seen smoked salt.

It's really easy to do yourself. In fact we smoked two large pans this past weekend. Prepare your grill for smoking, placing kosher salt in aluminum pans. I smoke mine for several hours stirring about every thirty minutes until brown. I can't keep it as family and friends are always asking for some