Community Message Boards

Thread: Has anyone ever done their own wedding bouquets?

Has anyone ever done their own wedding bouquets?

My aunts are in charge of flowers for our wedding in June. It's an outside wedding with lots of natural foliage, so the decorative flowers can be simple and still very nice, which is why they feel comfortable doing it.

But they told me they don't want to do the bouquets...too much pressure. So I'm wondering if it would look OK or just look cheap if I did simple, non-arranged bunches of seasonal flowers; white/cream for the bridesmaids and blue/purple for me.

Any thoughts? I'm not planning to do a bouquet toss, so no worries about having to have a sturdy bouquet.
    Last edited by beckms; 04-18-2007 at 12:00 PM.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I did! Don't laugh, but I got all of my wedding flowers from the floral dept of a local grocery store two days before my wedding. It was Memorial Day weekend, and we planned to go that route all along (in my defense, they always had gorgeous flowers!). Ultimately, what I planned was to use daisies & lilacs from our yard. However, I found the most beautiful white roses at the store. I bought a dozen to use as my bouquet. I left the stems long and wrapped them tightly with a broad ribbon. I used a blue handkerchief of my grandmother's to make a bow on it--it was soooo pretty! I got more complements than you would believe. One friend even asked who did my bouquet so she could use them for her wedding! My dress was very non-traditional, and I think the bouquet complimented it really well. I'd look at magazines to see what sort of shape you like, and practice! I did practice w/ my daisies & lilacs, and I really liked what I came up with. But those roses were very, very special and lured me away.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

DBF's sister went to the farmer's market on the morning of her wedding and picked out flowers that she liked. She brought them home & put them in water. When it was time to go she tied a ribbon around them and brought them with her to the wedding. She had a vase to put them in at the reception to keep them looking nice after the ceremony. It was a low-key, casual wedding & I thought it was the perfect idea.
    Yours truly caught the bouquet and for Christmas DBF and I bought a shadow box and mounted their invitation and the dried flowers and gave it to them as a gift.
    Connie

Leebee, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Something simple and tied with a ribbon. Do you have a picture? I'd love to see your dress!

My aunts are planning to get flowers from the farmers market and the grocery store. It's a great place to get flowers!
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

Rebecca-

I did my own bouquets (mine and bridesmaids) as wells as the corsages and boutinnears. I got roses from Costco and it was easy-peasy. I did something similar to what leebee did and it looked great and the price was nothing compared to what I would have paid for a florist to do with the same flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by beckms View Post
    Leebee, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Something simple and tied with a ribbon. Do you have a picture? I'd love to see your dress!

My aunts are planning to get flowers from the farmers market and the grocery store. It's a great place to get flowers!
    I don't have one handy...I'll see if I can dig one up. It was eight years ago (EEK! Where did the time go?), so I have a pic on the wall at home, but none at work. The dress was light blue, with some low-key embroidery on it--knit w/ a mesh overlay. It lended itself well to a modern-looking bouqet.

I have to say, my wedding was really hands-on. We did almost everything ourselves. It was very satisfying, and I can't think of anything I would have changed. I think when you decide, "I'm just gonna tie some pretty flowers with a bow," you are open to whatever happens. If you spend a great deal of $$$ on a florist, it can be a HUGE disappointment/stress if things don't come out right. Now that's my opinion, and my personality. I know there are a lot of brides who are much better at letting someone else do it! Best of luck!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

I got my flowers from the grocery store as well (Stop & Shop). We also did all of the centerpieces ourselves- pansies from Home Depot planted in a copper pot. I loved them! For the cake, we used some of the extra flowers to decorate it. Good luck!

We got all the flowers for my wedding from Sam's Club. My dad's wife took over most of it and did not really do what I wanted, but what she made was nice and worked well. We also bought glass vases at the fabric store for the tables, hot glued a wide ribbon on them and put flowers from Sam's in them. They turned out well. We did most of ours "hands on" as well.
    Michelle

Not for my wedding as I got married in Hawaii, but a family member has done all the flowers for all the other family weddings. We shop either Costco or the wholesale nursery/florist shop for the flowers. It really is easy. I end up being the helper getting things ready and with a little direction can turn out some impressive looking flowers.

Thanks guys! I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them handy. I just got my dress fitted yesterday, here's a picture of it. I will not be pouting like that, nor will I have a floor-length veil. It's quite a simple dress, so I want correspondingly simple flowers.
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

My bouquet was as simple as could be. My sister and I stopped along the side of the road and picked masses of lupines. It was a remote commercial spot so no harm was done. Then we clumped them together and wrapped the stems with a broad satin ribbon. It was simple, lovely and really quite elegant. The same idea would work with any mass of single flower tied together. This is especially a good idea if you don't really know what your doing. Trying to fake something complicated can end up looking awful, but this looked classy. We also got in some quality sister bonding.

one of my favorite parts of putting together my wedding was doing the flowers myself---I say go for it!

I married in August and my neighbors hydrangeas were in full bloom so I got up really early and snipped (or stole) some for the attendants bouquets---they were blue, maybe five flowers per bouquet, tightly clustered with a matching ribbon wrapping the stems. Mine was a similar cluster of tightly grouped white hydrangeas (just the white ones came from the florist) with blue ones on the perimeter(something blue...), and a white ribbon. They were so lovely. I got many compliments.

Farmers market provided mixed flowers that lined the walkways in the church and at the altar. I used clear glass bell jars--large ones and tied a really decadent ribbon around them. It made the arrangement look so well planned (since I was doing it the night before!).

My neighbor never knew--I think I was somehow protesting that he had these beautiful blooms in his yard and he never even looked at them....so I decided to swipe them! Years later I hated to move to a new home and leave that hydrangea bush behind. I still drive by every august and admire it...

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanic View Post
    I married in August and my neighbors hydrangeas were in full bloom so I got up really early and snipped (or stole) some for the attendants bouquets--- I got many compliments.

My neighbor never knew--I think I was somehow protesting that he had these beautiful blooms in his yard and he never even looked at them....so I decided to swipe them! Years later I hated to move to a new home and leave that hydrangea bush behind. I still drive by every august and admire it...
    So,
    Something old,
    Something new,
    Something stolen,
    Something blue?
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

Love the dress!!!!
    I think a cluster of medium pink roses or tulips would be stunning.

Eh, something borrowed, something stolen comme ce, comme ca.

At first, I was going to get a florist to do my bouquet. I wanted tulips and roses. For my portraits, a "floral designer" with much ego did my bouquet. It looked nothing like the photos I had shown him, and the conversation we had discussing what I liked an didn't like. The bouquet also weighted like 25lbs.

I told my mom she could probably do better. She's done flowers forever and did the church's flowers for Sunday service.

Mom ordered the flowers from a wholesaler. In 2000 it wasn't as easy to get quality flowers for cheap. There was no Costco or Sams locally, and grocery stores didn't have much except pathetic over-priced carnations in teensy vases.

We also had hydrangeas. There was an old woman that had the coolest flowers every summer. Mom and I stopped by her house one day and asked if we could purchase some of her flowers. She readily let us buy different flowers for Mom's church decorations every Sunday. The lady liked us so much that she let us have some blue hydrangeas from her favorite bushes. We used those for a decoration in the vestibule of the church.

Mom bought some gorgeous wide satin ribbon and used that to wrap my bouquet and those of my bridesmaids. My bouquet was the most gorgeous white roses and white tulips from The San Francisco Flower Mart. (they used to be wholesale only, and Mom is a landscape designer/horticulturalist) My bridesmaids carried tulips and hydrangeas.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

My sister had a friend (who used to work in a flower shop) do her flowers. They figured out what she wanted and ordered from Costco in advance, picked them up a few days before the wedding. Two friends put the arrangements together (corsages, butonierres, bouquets, table arrangements and flowers around the Chuppah). It was beautiful and cost her a lot less than a florist.

Lisa

I did! I had no floral experience whatsoever and they turned out great. We ordered from www.freshroses.com and I highly recommend them. The flowers were inexpensive, they were easy to work with and everything was delivered on time and in great shape. We bought mini callas--10 for $30. A friend helped me and we did the bouquets and bouts (no corsages, can't remember why we didn't do these ourselves).

i helped my SIL do her flowers... we set up a big table in her parents' basement and worked on them the night before. her mom got a flower-bouquet-how-to book out of the library and it actually came in quite useful. for certain flowers, you might need to wire the stems and wrap with floral tape before wrapping with a ribbon. remember your flowers have to last awhile unless you cut them immediately before the ceremony.

from what i learned, i would NOT make a corsage or buttonerewhatchamagiggy (anyone know how to spell that word?!? ) for a mostly traditional wedding without floral wire and tape jmho!
    - Josie

I made my own wedding bouquets and the center pieces for the tables (well, I should say my mom did). My mom bought most of the flowers from Sam's and a few from the florist (could have been the local grocery store floral dept., can't remember).

Anyway, my 2 bridesmaids and I had bouquets of 4-5 cala lilies (my favorite flower) with a few sprigs of other foliage. The stems were left long and the whole thing was tied with some white, lacey ribbon. It was very simple, but very nice.

Our centerpieces were astralmeria in fish bowls set on top of a round mirror with a few votive candles around each one. Again, simple but very nice. IMHO

I had peonies for my bouquet and my sister's who was my MOH...I didn't put them together but I saw the florist put them together the night before the wedding...it took her 5 minutes...she put the flowers together at the stem and wrapped tightly with rubber bands...then she wrapped the stems with a palm leaf and secured it with a seamstress's pin (those pin with the ball at the end)...I liked the idea of peonies because you get the bouquets the day before so you don't have to run around the day of the wedding and the flowers open up overnight...they were real pretty...I loved them!

The flowers for the tables...my mom put herself in charge of those and we put them together about 2 days before the wedding...my mom bought a vase per table (at walmart @ $8 each) and she bought the silk flowers at a couple of dollar stores (she had to do a few and she cleaned out a few places)...I wanted real flowers but when she showed me one that she had made you couldn't even tell that the flowers were fake and it was a nice keepsake to give away to the grandparents, parents, aunts, etc...

i'm getting married in the fall & i've been planning that my mom & i would put the bouquets together. i've checked pricing at whole foods (for blue & white hydrangeas). since then, however, i've decided to go with an all-feather bouquet for me & my maids, but we'll probably do arrangements for the table.

so, i can vouch for the freshness & service at whole foods or fresh market (per several friends experiences & recommendations). as long as you let them know the flowers you want 2 weeks in advance, they can guarantee a particular amount. if you have a larger party, consider ordering from sam's or costco. i checked those prices, but since we're having a small wedding party, it wasn't going to be worth it.

you could also go the farmer's market, supermarket, or whole foods/fresh market route the day of, since their flowers are always fresh.

best of luck to you with it & enjoy it!
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

Years ago, when my sister-in-law got married, she had her bouquet done in silk flowers.

Just a few years ago, my niece was getting married, and I told her about that. So she did her's in silks also.....then HER friend got married and she did HER'S in silks too!

If you get quality silks, they look as good as real, if not better.., and, of course, they last forever!

(I'm able to go to the florist wholesale house with my business license...I got the flowers for niece and friend. If you go this route, seek out a friend that can go to someplace like that...their flowers really are better then what you can get at Wal-mart or craft stores....also, the wholesale house will have all the stuff you need to put them together, as well as design books to help you)

cheers....nancy