Community Message Boards

Thread: I forgot salt in the cake batter...

I forgot salt in the cake batter...

As I put my DS's birthday cake in the oven, I started cleaning up and realized that I didn't get the salt out, which means no 3/4 t. salt. I'm making the Elegant White Cake posted by Valchemist and reviewed by many others. It has 1 tablespoon of baking powder as leavener in addition to the salt called for; do you think the cake will be ok without the salt, or does DS get "bad" cake for breakfast and a new, good cake with his birthday dinner?
    -- Nancy

It'll be fine, maybe a touch flat tasting, but still good.

Thanks for the reassurance! They look ok, and I have a strongly flavored filling between layers that I hope will provide some extra oomph.
    -- Nancy

You could add a dash of salt to the filling or frosting, if you haven't already made them.

I'm getting ready to frost and fill the cake in an hour or so. I was definitely thinking of the dash of salt in the filling; I'm not as sure about the frosting. I was originally going to do one layer of filling and frost the outsides, but I'm thinking I'll get a better flavor distribution if I split the layers and do 3 layers of filling with a little salt enhancement.

Thanks again! I'm trying hard to get away from boxed mixes, and the cake I made for DH's birthday last week turned out better than any doctored box mix I've made.
    -- Nancy