Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to use to break up sinus congestion

what to use to break up sinus congestion

I have had this darn cold for over a week now, I thought I was getting better, but now my sinuses are getting conjested again and I need to get them to drain.

I took sudafed, and nothing I blow, (sorry this is kind of gross), the stuff is there, but wont drain out.

Is there something else that will help with this

TIA

Laurie

Mucinex!!! The package says it's to thin chest congestion, but it thins all mucous, the stuff in your sinuses too (my doctor confirmed this when I asked him). I was using it every day for the last couple weeks. It helped a LOT. I know how miserable that congestion makes you. Hope you feel better soon!

Have you tried Mucinex -- always works well for me. Hope you feel better!
    Michelle

Thanks, I think it was Mucinex my mom gave me a few pills to try, I took it when I first started my cold because it was in my chest at first and really helped that

Now off to the the drugstore!

And also, I blew so hard this morning something happened to my ear. I got a piercing pain and now its slightly painful. I sure hope I didnt do anything to it as I am flying to Italy in 3 weeks!

Laurie

If the ear doesn't improve soon once you get stuff to drain get it looked at as you may have blown your ear drum. It may also be infected which is what almost always happens to me if I get a lot of head congestion. Good luck, these kinds of colds are miserable!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I was just at the Dr. last week for the same thing. She told me to use Mucinex D not just the Mucinex. She said the D has sudafed in it too.

I hope you feel better!
    Stay-at-home mom scratch cooking for a child with a severe peanut and mustard allergy.

I will warn you that I tried to use Mucinex a few weeks ago when I had the flu and had horrible chest congestion. It gave me horrible, nasty diarrhea. Just a warning.

One thing I do when I have bad sinus congestion is to lay down and put a hot compress on my face. It seems to help break it up to the point where I can blow my nose.

And drink lots of water.

Hope you're feeling better.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Neilmed! I highly recommend this product. It sounds kind of gross and it's not the kind of thing you want an audience for but it really helps. I've reduced both the number and severity of my sinus infections significantly. My whole family uses it - including 7 yo DS!

http://www.neilmed.com
    Stacy

Drug marketing is a powerful thing. Mucinex just an expectorant, or guaifenesin, which is also found in many Robitussin products too.

I would take something with guaifenesin and a decongestant, like Sudafed.

The nice thing about mucinex is that it is a long-acting form of guafenisen (sp?), so you only have to take it twice a day. For me, that is a lot easier than trying to remember to take robutussin every 4 hours to get the same effect.

Since you are so blocked up, definitely don't take sudafed unless you are also taking something like mucinex or robitussin. Decongestants are designed to dry things up -- exactly what you *don't* need right now. There have been threads about sinus/nasal rinses before. If you can stand to do it, it really does help, but it is certainly not for everyone.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Regardless of which med you use, also get a saline ( salt water) nose spray. It can be used as often as you want and it will wash out your sinuses. It is amazing. The one I use is Ayr because it hase the best force of spray. I now refill that bottle with generic spray.

In regards to the sudafed, Clariea, thats what it feels like its doing, drying me up but not draining.

That nasal gel from looks great

Laurie

I agree that taking something to dry you up isn't a good idea if you are trying to get the stuff to loosen up and drain. I would just do the mucinex (or generic form, whatever) and take an antihistimine so you quit sneezing (which produces more mucous), but not a decongestant. I hate the decongestants and believe (just based on me and my experiences, so it's anecdotal, I know) that they make me much worse and I always get a sinus infection when I take them. Mucous was meant to "wash out" viruses. When you dry it up, everything stays locked up in your sinus cavity. To me it makes more sense to allow the mucous to run and drain and carry all the virus out.

Taking one med to dry you out while taking another one to make you run seems counterproductive to me. I could be wrong.

Check out sinusbusters.com

It is a pepper spray. I usually get a couple of sinus infections a year. At first sign of sinus congestion I use this and I have not had an ifection (knock on wood) in over a year.

Well, here I go again, talking to the wall. But I am a believer in doing it the natural way first before resorting to all that man made c#*p. If you want to open up your breathing passages, try eating something with hot sauce or hot peppers in it. Make yourself some nice spicy tacos. Put some hot sauce on your scrambled eggs in the morning.

Also, like I have said many times here, pineapple juice is suppose to be natures decongestant. All this works for me and my family. I hope it works for you.

Does anyone else have any homemade suggestions?

I Don't know cookieee, however I do agree that hot stuff seems to help me and I used to take something prescribed daily. I don't even remember what now. Also A LOT of fresh air helps....oh and sneeze when you can, it breaks up congestion too. (obviously not on anyone!)
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I agree with natural methods. All the other methods don't really work for me and I don't know how to do nasal sprays. The few times I tried it ended up running down my throat and everything was burning like hell.

Take a long hot shower or use steam...and eat wasabi!

Angela

Some suggestions:

Take a warm shower.

Use Vicks Vaporub.

Drink some hot tea or chicken broth.

Use a vaporizer.

Hope you feel better soon!

I second (or 3rd or 4th) the guafinesen recommendation. It saved a vacation for me! My husband & I took an anniversary trip to Seattle, and both had terrible colds. Mine was so bad, and my sinuses so plugged, that I could barely talk. We found a cold med with guafinesen, and were both amazed at how well it cleared our sinuses. We were able to enjoy our vacation!
    home sweet home

I tend to use hot steam and also mucinex. What really helps is to hang your head off the side of the bed for a bit since the sinus drain hole are at the top of the sinus--so the goop pools below the drainage tubes. Hand upside down for a bit and massage your sinuses. It will get things moving!

For my sinus health I've ordered Sinus Rinse from drugstore.com and I'm also thinking about ordering a NetiPot. The thought of putting liquid up my nose bothers me, but many people seem to think it stops their sinus problems and infections. I'm still on the fence about this procedure.
    Last edited by tennismate; 04-25-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    tennismate

I sometimes use those breathe right strips on my nose, when things get bad. They do help me at night when I can't breathe and I'm trying to sleep. They open the passages a bit more.

I had a miserable morning, but hope its for the best. My sinuses finally opened up and drained for an hour. I am exhausted! I have been taking the musinex and drinking a ton of water. Today marks the 11th day I have had this so I do hope things will get better from here.

Laurie

Just curious, did you try any of the "natural" suggestions?

cookee, I didnt try any of the alternative mehtods. Intersting I did a search on Guaifisen. I towas originally derived from a plant and they were able to make it synthetically

laurie

Quote Originally Posted by tennismate View Post
    For my sinus health I've ordered Sinus Rinse from drugstore.com and I'm also thinking about ordering a NetiPot. The thought of putting liquid up my nose bothers me, but many people seem to think it stops their sinus problems and infections. I'm still on the fence about this procedure.
    I've used a NetiPot before and, while odd, it really does work wonders. I was in Vegas for a getaway when I got sick. My travelling companion had a friend who lived there. He was into yoga and all sort of a homeopathics. He set up the NetiPot and taught me how to use it. It cleared me right up. Once you use it, your nose and sinuses are clear and the air seems crisp. Of course, I did end up clogging up again because it turned out I has strep throat with my cold. But if you are into natural remedies, I'd recommend the NetiPot.

As for the decongenstant talk, isn't that supposed to make you drain? An antihistamine is what dries you up. Am I wrong?
    TKay

I learned about neti pots last night on Oprah. Dh has sinus problems and I told him it sounded like a great idea. He just looked at me like I was crazy.

I am kind of confused on the Neti pot. Why not jus use the saline sprays? Looks like you are basicly doing the same thing except the neti pot looks like a watering can.

It's been my experience that with the saline sprays, you're sort of just sucking the stuff up your nose. With the neti pot, you're literally flushing the junk up through your sinuses and back out (pause) your mouth. I know it's gross, but that's what it does. It's been years since I used one, but I may have to check into getting one. It really does help.E

ETA: Okay, I checked out the Oprah link and they show it draining the water out the other nostril. That may be the desired way to do it. And maybe that's what I really did all those years ago. For some reason, I have a memory of the stuff just running out my nose and mouth too. Ick. I hope it was just the other nostril. Apologies to anyone I've completely grossed out.
    TKay

TKay, one review I read said it was far better to send it out through your mouth. The person had tried both ways. I found the reviews when I put NetiPot in the Google search bar.
    tennismate