Community Message Boards

Thread: Light Egg Salad recipe?

Light Egg Salad recipe?

I haven't had egg salad in many many many years. Actually haven't eaten mayo in many many years. [Hated mustard and loved mayo as a kid, and my tastes flip-flopped in college. I would likely enjoy mayo at this point but just never added it back into my diet]. I really have a hankering for some egg salad - and I think 3 year old DS would love it [great eater - and loves hard boiled eggs].

Anyone have a good light recipe? I don't know if it's as simple as taking a "regular" recipe [such as my mom's] and switching to light or fat-free mayo? Or perhaps someone has a good light recipe they could share? I haven't acutally had/used either light or fat-free mayo before, so I also don't know if one is a better option than the other.

I know the new CL has a tofu egg salad recipe, but I'm not a tofu person...

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jennifer

I use light mayo in egg salad all the time, and it always tastes good - I can't really tell the difference.

Yes, I think it's really that simple -- there's just not much to egg salad. Personally I can't stand fat-free mayonnaise, so I'd use reduced. Still, whatever you prefer. You could also reduce the amount of yolks to reduce the fat content. Boil the eggs as normal, but use only some of the yolks.

I love the Egg Salad BLT's from the April issue. It uses a combo of light sour cream and mayo (they used fat-free; I used light). I tried it first with the bacon, but ended up liking it much better without.

I made egg salad with Miso Mayo the other night. It's not fat free, but is lower than regular mayo. No cholesterol.

This is a Weight Watchers version of egg salad that I make. They recipe is for a sandwich but the first step is to make the egg salad. Eliminating some of the egg yolks cuts down the calories considerably and you can't tell the difference. BTW, the calories that appear with the recipe are for one sandwich.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bacon-Egg-Arugula Sandwich

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sandwiches/Wraps

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 hard-boiled large eggs
    3 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
    2 Tablespoons pitted green olives -- chopped
    1 Tablespoon honey mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    8 slices light white bread
    4 slices reduced fat bacon (or turkey bacon) -- cooked and cut in half
    1 cup trimmed arugula or spinach

Slice eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolks. Discard 4 yolks. Chop egg whites and remaining 2 yolks. Add mayonnaise, green olives, mustard, salt and pepper to eggs. Stir gently.

Spread egg mixture over 4 bread slices. Place 2 bacon slice halves and 1/4 cup arugula over egg mixture. Top each with 1 bread slice.

Source:
    "WW 2005 Annual Recipes for Success"

NOTES : "Adding just 2 egg yolks to the salad mixture makes it taste richer while cutting out most of the fat and calories usually found in egg salad."

4 Points...221 calories...9.5 grams of fat (only 1.6 grams sat)
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I'm another one who doesn't like fat free mayo---I find it plasticky, for lack of a better word. I like low-fat mayo fine, but still feel a bit guilty, so when I do egg salad (or more often tuna salad) I do a mix of lo-fat mayo and fat free plain yogurt--I can't really tell the difference in taste (it's maybe a bit more tangy) and I know I'm only getting half the fat cals I would otherwise.

Tofu mayonnaise actually tastes great, is super-easy to make, and very low in fat and calories. Don't be alarmed by the "tofu" part. It doesn't taste tofu-like at all.

TOFU MAYONNAISE
    1 box Mori-Nu reduced fat silken tofu
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1/2 heaping tsp salt
    2 tablespoons something sour -- any kind of vinegar, lemon juice...
    2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, OR 1 tsp hot mustard powder (e.g. Keens)
    (optional, if you like sweet mayo (blech) 1 tsp sugar or to taste)

Place in blender. Blend the heck out of it, scraping down as necessary, until smooth and creamy.

Keeps in a jar (GLASS jar) in the fridge for about a week. Liquid may separate out; just pour it off.

You can also reduce the fat in an egg salad by discarding some of the yolks and using just the whites.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."